• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4 & 5

Top 2 choices

• Sachin Tendulkar

• Viv Richards

• Brian Lara

• Steve Smith

• Wally Hammond

• Greg Chappell

• Jacques Kallis

• George Headley

• Graeme Pollock

• Rickey Ponting

Results are only viewable after voting.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin for Lara, Imran for Hadlee and McGrath for Steyn. Agree with the rest.
Lol, that more than half.

Sachin for Lara is understandable, but don't think I want him and Kallis together in the middle order. Unless I bat Sobers and 5 and drop Kallis to 6 . Though that can indeed work.

I can't fathom dropping Hadlee for Imran. Hadlee was the better bowler and during his intial bowling stage, was Imran that much better of a bat than Sir Richard?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
An XI for all conditions. You could be playing in swinging or bouncing conditions where you need 3 pace bowlers. In spinning conditions you need high quality spin from both ends.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
An XI for all conditions. You could be playing in swinging or bouncing conditions where you need 3 pace bowlers. In spinning conditions you need high quality spin from both ends.
Gilchrist does give quite a bit of cover. Imran at 7 does seem a bit high for this level. But again, Gilchrist.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara at 4, Smith at 5.

With Bradman at 3 and Sobers at 6 this gives a left/ right combination all the way down. Smith has earned his place over the others and Lara is my favourite of the rest.
This seems right. Can't see fitting Sachin in and Smith is a GOAT slip and far superior fielder anywhere.

subshakerz

International Coach
Lol, that more than half.

Sachin for Lara is understandable, but don't think I want him and Kallis together in the middle order. Unless I bat Sobers and 5 and drop Kallis to 6 . Though that can indeed work.

I can't fathom dropping Hadlee for Imran. Hadlee was the better bowler and during his intial bowling stage, was Imran that much better of a bat than Sir Richard?
Even if you discount Imran's pure batting years (89-92), he was averaging at least 5-6 points more than Hadlee with more tons as a pure bat, and as a bowler had an arguably comparable record with Hadlee at that point (by 1988).

You cant have it both ways, because when you try to discard Imran's late career batting achievements, you also lessen the degree to which Hadlee had an edge over Imran as a bowler as his bowling records were affected by those later years.

subshakerz

International Coach
For numbers 4 and 5, I am going with Viv Richards (best batsman of 70s/80s) and Tendulkar (best batsman of 90s/2000s).

I loved watching Lara but he has wasnt as close to batting perfection as Tendulkar was, and I would wager the majority of peers went more in Tendulkar favor than Laras as a result.

As for Steve Smith, his test career is 77 tests so far and he is 32 years old. He has already shown signs of decline. He still has too much cricket ahead of him to make any judgement ahead of other ATGs.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Even if you discount Imran's pure batting years (89-92), he was averaging at least 5-6 points more than Hadlee with more tons as a pure bat, and as a bowler had an arguably comparable record with Hadlee at that point (by 1988).

You cant have it both ways, because when you try to discard Imran's late career batting achievements, you also lessen the degree to which Hadlee had an edge over Imran as a bowler as his bowling records were affected by those later years.
Until 1987 Imran averaged just 30 with bat. Thats a 15-16 year career by then.
His away bowling avg was 26.

Compared to Hadlee,
Equivalent batsman, inferior bowler

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

I'm not trying to have it both ways. I think Hadlee was the better bowler period. I don't think Imran is a top 5 bowler, so I'm not forcing him into the team for a few extra runs. I want to have as good and balanced attack as possible. After 8, I don't factor in batting.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
1971-1988

Bat avg 33
Away bowling avg 25
But why at 8, does batting average matter more than who's the better bowler.

Even as a batting all-rounder, I'm going to base the selection more on who is better with the bat. That's the primary role.

subshakerz

International Coach
I'm not trying to have it both ways. I think Hadlee was the better bowler period. I don't think Imran is a top 5 bowler, so I'm not forcing him into the team for a few extra runs. I want to have as good and balanced attack as possible. After 8, I don't factor in batting.
Well we are talking about no. 8 so batting skills does come into play and you questioned whether Imran was that much better with the bat.