• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this tbh. From right arm over or left arm over, sure - but the angle of Starc going left arm around means that Paine is starting a lot straighter. From memory he was basically in line with the stumps, rather than the more traditional positioning. It's a regulation catch at that level, but I think almost all 'keepers would struggle to take it on their feet.
Yeah, that and it was an edge off a full ball that was going quickly. There was enough on it off the bat to deviate to first slip, and the angle from Starc around the wicket means Paine is essentially starting in a position for one going a fair way down leg if it was right arm over.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Did he cross 140kmph much this match? I only glanced at the speeds a few times and he was bowling mid to low 130s.
Yeah, he was consistently 140 or thereabouts.

He would still need combined brains and brawn of Boom, Siraj and Ashwin from the other end to be of any impact

Kirkut

International Regular
So, how does everyone feel about the idea that if India had actually taken all the runs they knocked back, they would have won by 5:27pm?
That is an interesting question. I think not rotating the strike helped them indirectly since they could get to face a specific bowler for few overs on the trot, for example Vihari facing Starc for 5 overs straight. If they rotated the strike, then Vihari had to face Lyon and make adjustments to his batting.

Gob

International Coach
I know Paine asked Pant to babysit his daughter but cant see pant returning the favour

Guess why???

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont have much respect for Paine and the way he tries to get away with **** under the good guy image, but he has been a decent to good captain for Australia in a tough time and has batted well and made important runs during that time. Not sure who can replace him if he is somehow not playing the next game.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont have much respect for Paine and the way he tries to get away with **** under the good guy image, but he has been a decent to good captain for Australia in a tough time and has batted well and made important runs during that time. Not sure who can replace him if he is somehow not playing the next game.
Carey would replace him with the gloves and I imagine cummins would skipper.

Flem274*

123/5
he was funny and not really offensive in 2018

we all loved him and i still like him
the only reason anyone finds him funny is because he's marginally (very marginally) wittier than your average pro-sportsmen, a subset of men who don't have to be funny to have friends/wives/careers because they've got other advantages like being hot and good at things people care about.

in normal life tim paine is the guy who thinks he's way funnier than he is, which i guess most of us here on cw are guilty of but even by our very low standards he isn't funny.

if you're a pro-sportsman who is actually funny you are a) not fair on the rest of us and b) rub other pros the wrong way like jimmy neesham does because the andrew symonds and shane warne personalities surrounding you don't really get what's going on and think you're a smarmy, too clever ****in nerd who needs a hiding.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Carey would replace him with the gloves and I imagine cummins would skipper.
Cummins could actually be the real "good guy" captain IMO. Seems a great bloke. Paine looks like a guy who tries to smuggle some of his ****tiness under the hood of a "good guy" image while Hazlewood and Lyon just come across as rather ****e guys. Starc seems to be a nice guy who has been told for the last 6 years that he should not be one. Cummins kinda stands out. Warner and Smith is too risky to go back to, again. Labu is too green and others are not even established.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cummins could actually be the real "good guy" captain IMO. Seems a great bloke. Paine looks like a guy who tries to smuggle some of his ****tiness under the hood of a "good guy" image while Hazlewood and Lyon just come across as rather ****e guys. Starc seems to be a nice guy who has been told for the last 6 years that he should not be one. Cummins kinda stands out. Warner and Smith is too risky to go back to, again. Labu is too green and others are not even established.
Yeah though tbh being a good bloke is pretty much the least important variable in being a captain. I get it’s what they want right now but long term the public won’t cop losing with a smile. And nor should they, losing is not acceptable We aren’t england.