• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Kirkut

International Regular
I'm a bit nervous if they pick Shardul Thakur over Saini. The batting is vulnerable right now but Thakur might not be the ideal allrounder we think of. Saini is perfect to complement Bumrah/Siraj.

the big bambino

International Captain
Its behind a paywall so I'm just guessing, some press are saying Warner will be worth his spot and not just for the runs he may score. Wonder if they're suggesting he bring the mongrel they've previously vilified him for? They've made heaps of copy trashing Warner (and his family) and wouldn't put it past them to urge him on to do something stupid and then condemn him afterwards.

Warner and Puc in whatever shape, are better than Burns and Wade who should play at 5 instead of Head. Didn't see much of the Melbourne test after day 1 but saw enough of Smith to make me wonder if he can pick Ashwin's variations, especially the arm ball. Last summer revealed Smith's limitations on leg stump and now Marnus admits he's having problems with that line as well.

I think we can all get over laughing at off spinners now and admit that as long as India have Bumrah, Ashwin and Jadeja they're still a good bowling side. Would probably favour Saini to come in as I don't know how tightly Nattu can bowl. Neither side is settled in their batting but all up India have an advantage in knowing the sort of lines to neutralise Smith and Marnus and should win in Sydney.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Omg, according to news.com.au these are the lowest ever average runs per wkt of Australian sides in a home season

(1) 1887/88 – 9.35
(2) 1886/87 – 12.30
(3) 1878/79 – 18.26
(4) 1876/77 – 18.89
(5) 1882/83 – 20.78
(6) 2020/21 – 21.50

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Omg, according to news.com.au these are the lowest ever average runs per wkt of Australian sides in a home season

(1) 1887/88 – 9.35
(2) 1886/87 – 12.30
(3) 1878/79 – 18.26
(4) 1876/77 – 18.89
(5) 1882/83 – 20.78
(6) 2020/21 – 21.50
03/04
04/05
05/06
06/07

Occupy 5 of the top 7 averages. Truly extraordinary era of cricket.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

(1) 1887/88 – 9.35
(2) 1886/87 – 12.30
(3) 1878/79 – 18.26
(4) 1876/77 – 18.89
(5) 1882/83 – 20.78
(6) 2020/21 – 21.50
Where two tests into a summer with two flattish wickets to come, should be fine by the end of the summer.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last summer really papered over the cracks in Australia's batting. Which always seems to happen in a NZ/Pak year.

Kirkut

International Regular
the 171 was an odi at perth
Yes, he made 133 in Sydney the last he played an ODI there. SCG suits best to his batting style, but what if this turns out to be like Sehwag's tour to the UK a decade ago? Hope not..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well let's hope we improve on the "3rd lowest high score in a home summer" place we're at right now.
Literally one substantial partnership from being 2-0 up in seven days of cricket.

like I said in another thread, the series is entertaining and compelling because both teams’ bowling is ****loads better than their batting. It’s good to watch cos **** is always happening, but the actual standard of the cricket being played is pretty average so far tbh because the ball is dominating to the extent it is. Would be the same were it the other way around. Right now it’s barely a contest between the disciplines.

Spark

Global Moderator
Literally one substantial partnership from being 2-0 up in seven days of cricket.

like I said in another thread, the series is entertaining and compelling because both teams’ bowling is ****loads better than their batting. It’s good to watch cos **** is always happening, but the actual standard of the cricket being played is pretty average so far tbh because the ball is dominating to the extent it is. Would be the same were it the other way around. Right now it’s barely a contest between the disciplines.
Honestly not even that - if Rahane gets one with his name on it early Day 2, then it's not out of the question that it becomes parity on first innings and then who knows what happens after that. Margins in this series are very fine, these teams look evenly matched to me.