• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The reading of the last rites for England is a little premature, imo. The only thing standing between England restricting the Aussies to less than 320 is a batsman who should have been dismissed twice already and the bowlers. 320 is very get-able on this third day wicket, rubbish batting performance in the first innings notwithstanding.

England are currently at 6-7/1-- if I was a betting man, I'd slap a 50 on that.
500/1 has some previous around here doesn't it? That might tempt me.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
The reading of the last rites for England is a little premature, imo. The only thing standing between England restricting the Aussies to less than 320 is a batsman who should have been dismissed twice already and the bowlers. 320 is very get-able on this third day wicket, rubbish batting performance in the first innings notwithstanding.

I think you are 320 is very gettable on a third day wicket by team of test match quality batsmen, however the England batting lineup is not that. Only Root has proven himself to be a test match quality batsman and he is terribly out of form. The rest are at best still to prove themselves or simply not good enough.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
You'd have thought at least 100 was get-able on a second-day wicket, yet here we are
I'm gonna go with <<you can't be that bad in two successive innings>>.

I think Roy is going to go into one-day mode in the second innings, because that's the only thing that will save his position in the team.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It’s just the innate Australian pessimism on this board. If they set us 370 and we get to 40 without loss some will be surrendering the Ashes.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Which is the key problem. It'll be tough to recover from a batting position that bad without some serious guts, and this England lineup lacks that. It's more likely that Australia shoot them out for 70 again rather than them chasing down 320. And this attack does not look like letting up.

Even if Australia declared overnight they'd still be clear favourites. I wouldn't put the Poms hopes at more than 10%.

hazsa19

International Regular
Id give Cook, Strauss, Trott, KP, Bell, Colly, Prior, all in good form, a 1 in 50 chance of chasing down 300. This lot, it’s 1 in a million.

Notwithstanding that, it’s a shame Root has forgotten how to catch too. Might’ve at least been interesting if we’d shot them out last night. I can see them batting towards lunch and maybe beyond, just to ensure the paying fans endure as much misery today as they did yesterday.

Last edited:

trundler

Which is the key problem. It'll be tough to recover from a batting position that bad without some serious guts, and this England lineup lacks that. It's more likely that Australia shoot them out for 70 again rather than them chasing down 320. And this attack does not look like letting up.

Even if Australia declared overnight they'd still be clear favourites. I wouldn't put the Poms hopes at more than 10%.
This is too much optimism from you. This is upsetting the balance. Goodbye, Australia.

Burgey

England can’t win with Lyon bowling last on this deck. It was turning and bouncing yesterday for Leach.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I am still a touch nervous tbh, the Shai Hope game springs to mind.

Love watching Hope bat, shame he still hasn't found the consistency required for Test cricket

TheJediBrah

England can’t win with Lyon bowling last on this deck. It was turning and bouncing yesterday for Leach.
Yeah feel a bit for Harris with the ball he got. Sure he was playing away from his pad a bit but that was almost unplayable out of the rough

Flem274*

123/5
i hope this goes into tomorrow because sky sport nz in their wisdom have decided to use their 9 channels to give us darts and australian domestic netball instead of this days play.

TheJediBrah

Well I mean it definitely was playable, if he had chosen to defend it.
Yeah as soon as I said that I knew it was a massive exaggeration. Still a bit unlucky, but when you've got that much rough out there you probably have more of a look at it.