• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Flem274*

123/5
im going to do something i didn't think i'd do before seeing it and come in on the umpires side here. live, the sweep shot obscured the ball completely. i thought it was going down leg with the angle but wasn't sure because stokes was in the way, and im firmly in the 'leg stump exists' camp.

so much is made of 'correcting the howlers' but that lbw is the other, almost never mentioned reason we have drs now - the spin bowling ones where you have no ****ing clue because the batsman has obscured it with their sweep shot.

wilson is still terrible overall tho, so it's easy to see how that was a final straw for australian fans. you all deserve it for nigel 'that could have been anything' llong of course.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bad umpires giving things out wrongly is certainly a valid argument. But an off spinner bowling around the wicket to a left hander anywhere around the line of leg stump shouldn't be getting LBW's unless the umpire can see that it's straightened. - which in this case without DRS he couldn't.
sorry but none of that is true

if anything it looked like it straightened live even more than it did because of the deflection off the front pad

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

if anything it looked like it straightened live even more than it did because of the deflection off the front pad
Don't be silly. In the flurry in real time of the ball pitching and hitting the pads he couldn't tell any of that with the naked eye.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn’t Kaprowicz plumb when trying to hit across the line with like 60 runs still needed?
Yes he was (think it may have been closer to the total than that but can't recall exactly)

Thing is there is no Waaaahhhhh value in remembering or talking about that for our Aussie friends. So they don't.

Stapel

International Regular

I've been replaying things dozens of times now, in slo-mo and real speed. I don't think any decent umpire would give it out.
My 2 cents :) .

Burgey

Yes he was (think it may have been closer to the total than that but can't recall exactly)

Thing is there is no Waaaahhhhh value in remembering or talking about that for our Aussie friends. So they don't.
The Simon Jones lbw in the same match is literally the most plumb lbw ever not to be given. I defy anyone to watch this and genuinely tell me Bowden deserved to ever stand in another match, or even arguably to live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwZXhz18k1s

This is the same **** who was firing Martyn from prolific inside edges all series.

Just love Ponting having a word with him and scratching his head in utter bewilderment. Such a moment.

Last edited:

vcs

The Simon Jones lbw in the same match is literally the most plumb lbw ever not to be given. I defy anyone to watch this and genuinely tell me Bowden deserved to ever stand in another match, or even arguably to live:

This is the same **** who was firing Martyn from prolific inside edges all series.

Just love Ponting having a word with him and scratching his head in utter bewilderment. Such a moment.

Usually you would say it didn't cost them much but the 2 runs in this case did end up costing them the match (or at least a tie).

Arachnodouche

International Captain

It's the attention whore Billy Bowel, after all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Usually you would say it didn't cost them much but the 2 runs in this case did end up costing them the match (or at least a tie).
I may be wrong but fairly sure KP was sawn off for us too.

Series was littered with errors truth be told

greg

International Debutant
I think there’s quite a long history of umpires being reluctant to give “game deciding” LBWs. (balancing off to some extent the long history off umpires sawing off no10/11 batsmen when the game is not apparently at stake!). When you don’t want to give something you can always find “doubt”.

Another example I can think of (pre Hawkeye) is Fraser surviving against Donald in the third test in 1998. Then again there was Headingley in the final test of the same series...

Stapel

International Regular

Yeah, that was a shocker, I remember well. Maybe not as bad as Kallis surviving Flintoff in 2008 (Aleem Dar)? At least the Brett Lee ball to Jones was moving a lot, bowled from round the wicket.
Crap, now it sounds like I'm defending BB..... That was never my intention!

OverratedSanity

The Jones one I can see someone getting confused by it real time and thinking it was heading down because of the odd way Jones fell on his backside. The Martyn lbw was far worse, he smashed it.

Burgey

Like it's literally pitched in line and is hitting middle half way up, with the bloke's bat in the air near his head. It's actually ****ing hilarious when you look at it now, especially Ponting's reaction, just scratching his head going WTAF.

Daemon

What's more bewildering is why at 0:12 a dude dressed as a woman is standing and shaking a purse in the direction of the players/umpire.