• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Spark

Global Moderator
I'll just copy myself again in another attempt to steer the topic away from the not-Australian-or-Englishman's dire opinions on umpiring. Now can we stop feeding the ***** please.
This is why I'm such a huge fan of the control > "strike power" strategy that we've overall gone for. Keeping the crowd quiet has to be one of our top priorities, because when the crowd gets heavily involved it clearly affects the players and has done so since 05.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So for pure theatre how do we reckon Headingley 2019 stacks up V's Edgbaston 2005?

Hard for me to really judge this one not having watched it live. I can honestly say I collapsed in a heap on my lounge room floor at the end of the Edgbaston test........I'd never been so into a test before or since then. I suspect the feeling would have been very similar in this one but I ****ing missed it all.

What do the rest of you think?

Spark

Global Moderator
I would honestly still go for Edgbaston. The final wicket partnership all happened much too quickly to generate the sort of unbearable slow-motion tension that the Lee/Kasprowicz partnership produced for about 90 minutes. I think everyone who watched that Test was a complete nervous wreck by the end.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was a small part (extremely small, barely noticeable) of me that felt for Nz after the final. When it comes to you guys, I actively hope this kind of **** happens, and tbh it doesn’t sound like many others around the world are that upset. Couldn’t tell you why.

I wouldn’t change a thing about what happened on Sunday.
ok

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So for pure theatre how do we reckon Headingley 2019 stacks up V's Edgbaston 2005?

Hard for me to really judge this one not having watched it live. I can honestly say I collapsed in a heap on my lounge room floor at the end of the Edgbaston test........I'd never been so into a test before or since then. I suspect the feeling would have been very similar in this one but I ****ing missed it all.

What do the rest of you think?
The thing is this chase was a slow boil. It went from "no chance" to "maybe there's hope" over night to "There's an outside chance" to "it's even" to "England is ahead", back to "Australia is ahead" at the fall of the 9th wicket. Then when Stokes stated going bananas England never really looked like they'd get there. Everything was so risky.

IMO England's didn't feel ahead until Leach scored his run.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is this chase was a slow boil. It went from "no chance" to "maybe there's hope" over night to "There's an outside chance" to "it's even" to "England is ahead", back to "Australia is ahead" at the fall of the 9th wicket. Then when Stokes stated going bananas England never really looked like they'd get there. Everything was so risky.

IMO England's didn't feel ahead until Leach scored his run.
I never thought England would have a hope of winning this test until the last 20-30 runs. The rest was largely hype. How many times have we seen a side go from 250 for 4, to all out, chasing 350-400 runs in a 5th innings. But these times are why we keep watching and players keep playing.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I never thought England would have a hope of winning this test until the last 20-30 runs. The rest was largely hype. How many times have we seen a side go from 250 for 4, to all out, chasing 350-400 runs in a 5th innings. But these times are why we keep watching and players keep playing.
The first time I thought it was actually going to happen was the full toss 6 over deep square leg that reduced the target from 33 to 27.

Daemon

I never thought England would have a hope of winning this test until the last 20-30 runs. The rest was largely hype. How many times have we seen a side go from 250 for 4, to all out, chasing 350-400 runs in a 5th innings.
never :ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
i've seen the lbw that wasn't now. i wasn't giving that live, it took ball tracking for me to go '****, that was out'

a true drs era lbw that one. no umpire would ever give that in the 00s, whereas now they might.

morgieb

i've seen the lbw that wasn't now. i wasn't giving that live, it took ball tracking for me to go '****, that was out'

a true drs era lbw that one. no umpire would ever give that in the 00s, whereas now they might.
Lots of spinning LBW's wouldn't have been given 10 years ago. Imagine Warne/Murali playing today!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
DRS made a Test bowler out of Graeme Swan. There's isn't a (good) umpire in history who would have given that out live. The three red lights in slow mo is not relevant at that stage. Today we have tech to get virtually every decision right, but chose not to use it in that way.

cnerd123

likes this
Edgbaston 05 had me hooked for basically the whole test, especially the 4th innings

After 67 all out I kinda stopped following this, and only hopped back in once I saw Stokes and Leach batting with 60 odd left to win. Just had a feeling they could make something special happen.

Very different kind of matches. More consistent drama Vs a higher intensity of drama. Hard to compare

cnerd123

likes this
This is why I'm such a huge fan of the control > "strike power" strategy that we've overall gone for. Keeping the crowd quiet has to be one of our top priorities, because when the crowd gets heavily involved it clearly affects the players and has done so since 05.
You want crowds to be quiet at sports games?