• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd, 4th and 5th fastest bowlers in New Zealand

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
Wade Cornelius was hitting 140 km's + before he was injured 2 years ago. Im not sure what his comeback has been like though.

Hayden Shaw can also bowl quite fast.

But until we introduce the quick bowlers we've got down at the Academy, there aren't many around on the domestic scene.
so do we have any 140+ bowlers on the domestic scene apart from the likes of Sherlock & Davis who are yet to get established??????

bryce

International Regular
it's hard to say, we don't see much of them and when we do there is no speed measuring going on

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
i thought that davis didnt look that fast at the under 19 world cup but i suppose u cant tell to a gr8 extent how fast they are bowling

anzac

International Debutant
I wonder if there have been any studies done as to why NZL seam bowlers seem to suffer so many career ending back problems.............seemingly more so than any other playing nation..........similarly it's not just a recent thing - Brendan Bracewell was going to be the 'next best thing' until he did his back...........

it primarily seems to be connected to trying to bowl at decent pace - so me thinks poor action mechanics / poor pitches / approach to the pitch too soft / ????????

there must be some reason behind it as AUS does not seem to have the same probs & certainly the injuries do not appear as career threatening..........

Kent

State 12th Man
Winter training on hard surfaces indoors is one of the latest theories on that.

I guess if it's true you'd expect England to also be pretty badly affected, although perhaps with such a large population it's just not as noticable. I guess you could say for 50 million people to only produce one Harmison isn't very flash.

bryce

International Regular
now that you put it like that i wonder what the odds are of us producing another bond?

anzac

International Debutant
bryce said:
now that you put it like that i wonder what the odds are of us producing another bond?
bugger that - I'd want another R Hadlee................and another Bond at the other end............. :D

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How do they bowl so fast? Muscles? Actions? Their methods can come useful in places like countries where everyone bowls at slightly faster than medium-pace. An ancient article on CricInfo's NZ page (posted in April 2003) said that a few changes in action can increase pace a lot. Now that you have 6 bowlers who have real pace, they should make good use of it. Their faster deliveries in unusual spots for the batsmen can make them a lot more effective. Coaches and video analyses have a major role to play in their development.

bryce

International Regular
lol i wouldn't mind increasing my own pace a bit, i would really like to know the changes in action i need

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Some biomedical universities have found means of adding pace through changes in action. They try to find cleaner and less stressful actions.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Dayle Hadlee believed Sherlock went over 150 km's in South Africa.
Im not exactly sure how fast Te Ahu Davis is bowling, but apparently he's in the upper 140's.

crickey

Cricket Spectator
James McMillan is back

southern man said:
James McMillan when fully fit is quite quick. But he will probarbly never be fully fit again, Im pretty sure he now only limits himslef to his short run up.

McMillan is back off his long run and proved he is faster than Butler at ND vs Otago in Dunedin on Sunday. Hes nearly at his peak it seems and without injury so far. I say Mcmillan will be up in top 3 by the end of the season

Kent

State 12th Man
Butler would've had the bulging disc in his back, of course.

Tell me crickey, you're not a friend of McMillan's are you? Interesting that you made your debut post in this thread, three weeks after it would've slipped off the first page. :)

I was talking to the girlfriend of a FC cricketer the other day - she said she was blown away that people were actually discussing his efforts when she 'ego searched' his name on google. I started to feel quite uneasy, knowing exactly which site that was!

rogerramjet

Cricket Spectator
crickey said:
McMillan is back off his long run and proved he is faster than Butler at ND vs Otago in Dunedin on Sunday. Hes nearly at his peak it seems and without injury so far. I say Mcmillan will be up in top 3 by the end of the season
This guy is definitely not quick. Medium-fast at best.

You must really be a big fan. 8-)

Keeping on supporting the guy by all means.

Te Ahu Davis was saying he bowls "up to 140kms" on the Cricket Company and we've already heard that fragile Sherlock is capable of express pace. They're probably three and four at the moment. Although neither is playing first class right now. Apparently, Sherlock is injured although I note there was an R Sherlock batting in the CHCH club competition last weekend.

Wade Cornelius was visibly quick prior to his back injury. I haven't seen him bowl since he came back this season though.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
rogerramjet said:
This guy is definitely not quick. Medium-fast at best.

You must really be a big fan. 8-)

Keeping on supporting the guy by all means.

Te Ahu Davis was saying he bowls "up to 140kms" on the Cricket Company and we've already heard that fragile Sherlock is capable of express pace. They're probably three and four at the moment. Although neither is playing first class right now. Apparently, Sherlock is injured although I note there was an R Sherlock batting in the CHCH club competition last weekend.

Wade Cornelius was visibly quick prior to his back injury. I haven't seen him bowl since he came back this season though.
roger,

Another poster appearing from Planet Rugby/The Silver Fern...

McMillan has been clocked at 140 in the past - I haven't seen him bowl this season, so he may not be near that at the moment, but for the last couple of seasons he has been off the short run.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kent said:
I was talking to the girlfriend of a FC cricketer the other day - she said she was blown away that people were actually discussing his efforts when she 'ego searched' his name on google. I started to feel quite uneasy, knowing exactly which site that was!
Nothing wrong with that!

I think it's good people find us!