• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

30 Test hundreds

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Babar and Markram from the current players are decent bets.
No way either of these blokes make it without an obscenely long career. They aren’t even in the same stratosphere as Cook, Mahela, Shiv and Hayden, let alone any of the rest.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Looking back, I'm happy that Steve Smith put that Tom Flint person in his place. As if making runs in india and England prior wasn't enough. Look Tom, Smith massacred England in England and helped Australia to retain the ashes. How's that for a career defining series??!!!

Yes I'm petty...lol lol

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get the feeling Warner will theoretically get there easy based on how he bats this time of year.

But then again, early retirement and get those T20 league bucks. Tempting for a man.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking back, I'm happy that Steve Smith put that Tom Flint person in his place. As if making runs in india and England prior wasn't enough. Look Tom, Smith massacred England in England and helped Australia to retain the ashes. How's that for a career defining series??!!!

Yes I'm petty...lol lol
Yeah but that fella's a buffoon. Wasn't the the bloke saying TPC's aspy leaving of the ball was designed only to put the bowler off? Even though he does it after the bowler delivers the ball?

Like I said, buffoon

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah but that fella's a buffoon. Wasn't the the bloke saying TPC's aspy leaving of the ball was designed only to put the bowler off? Even though he does it after the bowler delivers the ball?

Like I said, buffoon
TBH, what's wrong with that if that is the case? Steve Smith's batting is as much focussed on putting bowlers off from what they do best as it is on accentuating his own strengths. I do not see it as any type of insult and it actually shows how good a batsman Smith is, if even in the simple act of leaving the ball, he finds a way to do it in such a way that will put the bowler off. At the end of the day, test match batting is as much about making the bowlers go away from what they do best as it is about anything else.

ataraxia

International Coach
TBH, what's wrong with that if that is the case? Steve Smith's batting is as much focussed on putting bowlers off from what they do best as it is on accentuating his own strengths. I do not see it as any type of insult and it actually shows how good a batsman Smith is, if even in the simple act of leaving the ball, he finds a way to do it in such a way that will put the bowler off. At the end of the day, test match batting is as much about making the bowlers go away from what they do best as it is about anything else.
He actually does too little IMO. On those balls he should practice his paddle sweep (missing ball on purpose by miles) and not do it in training. Really ridiculous that he hasn't thought of that.

Burgey

Because once the bowler has delivered the ball he can't be put off by how you leave it, unless he has a Fluxcapacitor.

Daemon

Tbf it might be in the bowlers head during the next delivery. Instead of going on autopilot and plugging away outside off, the bowler might feel like Smith’s not just left it, he’s left the **** out of it, resulting in him going closer to the stumps and being tucked away for a single again.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tbf it might be in the bowlers head during the next delivery. Instead of going on autopilot and plugging away outside off, the bowler might feel like Smith’s not just left it, he’s left the **** out of it, resulting in him going closer to the stumps and being tucked away for a single again.
Your comment made me imagine Smith thrusting his hips at the ball, aggressively ***ually taunting it as it goes past.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Because once the bowler has delivered the ball he can't be put off by how you leave it, unless he has a Fluxcapacitor.

You do realize the bowler is a human being and is capable of emotions after he has delivered the ball too, right?

EDIT: if TH's point was that he was trying to put off the bowler during his action or whatever, then yeah, it is an idiotic one. But I do think a lot of what Steve Smith does as a batsman intentionally or unintentionally does annoy the bowlers a lot (obviously including scoring loads of runs and not getting out as often). So, to me, it is a bit of a credit to him that even when leaving the ball, he can annoy the bowler and put him off his gameplan for the spell or for the over at least.

Last edited:

vcs

Peak Steyn in the middle of one of those vein-popping spells with the old ball to current Smith would have been so good. Shame we never got to see it.

Burgey

You do realize the bowler is a human being and is capable of emotions after he has delivered the ball too, right?

EDIT: if TH's point was that he was trying to put off the bowler during his action or whatever, then yeah, it is an idiotic one. But I do think a lot of what Steve Smith does as a batsman intentionally or unintentionally does annoy the bowlers a lot (obviously including scoring loads of runs and not getting out as often). So, to me, it is a bit of a credit to him that even when leaving the ball, he can annoy the bowler and put him off his gameplan for the spell or for the over at least.
Wow. More stunning hb revelations here.

Also, the fact you haven't mentioned that bowlers also do things to put Smith off means you're a massive hypocrite and you're giving them a pass.

Or something.

Burgey

Peak Steyn in the middle of one of those vein-popping spells with the old ball to current Smith would have been so good. Shame we never got to see it.
Would have been a great, great match up

Burgey

Word on the street is the power of a good leave has been well known for about 120 years or so, but if the manner of someone leaving like Smith does somehow puts you off then you should be bowling in a creche.

G Chappell, as an example, went through a phase of leaving the ball in a similar way during the 1982/83 Ashes series. The idea him doing so put the likes of Willis and Botham off their lines and lengths is laughable. You don't get to be an international bowler if a bloke's post-delivery movements pt you off what you're doing next ball about 45 seconds later.

I mean, I know we live in sensitive times and all, but have a cup of concrete ffs.

OverratedSanity

We kind of saw that in the 2014 series in SA. Smith wasn't current Smith but it was the beginning of his peak.

vcs

We kind of saw that in the 2014 series in SA. Smith wasn't current Smith but it was the beginning of his peak.
I think Smith made runs and Steyn also ran through the middle order including Smith in the match SA won? Was a good series. Kohli and Pujara also played him superbly in the preceding series.