• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3 Spin All-Rounders for ODI

3 Spin All-Rounders in ODI's

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, he wasnt even SL's most valuable player that tournament after failing in both the semis and finals.

Jayasuriya's legend will always involve taking poor bowlers, like the Indians, to the cleaners. With Jayasuriya, the bottom line is that if you gave him width on a slowish wicket he would trounce you. Cut off his circulation outside the off stump or put him against the moving ball and he'd be out before you could sit down.
Is Sehwag, Gayle or Afridi any different? Gayle had been Vaas' bitch, even when Vaas was bowling at 125k. Any body who can move it, Gayle is easy pickings. Afridi is woeful against pace. So is Shewag. That's the type of batsmen they are. Better technicinas will score on tough conditions, but these players if fire, will win you the match.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayasuriya came to Singapore earlier this year to take part in a small local T20 tournament. He was an arrogant son of a ****.

1) Screaming vulgarities at a 15 year old kid in his team just because he fumbled at the boundary and gave an extra run.

2) Screaming vulgarities to anyone and everyone, including management. (In horrible English might I add)

3) Bowling from literally a 2 step run up, thinking he's all that great a bowler. (got absolutely hammered in one game, gave around 50 runs in 2 overs)

4) Came late for a match, delayed proceedings by an hour.

5) Went for the toss in a tank top and shorts.

6) Refused to play a game because it was 'too hot' and demanded an ice bath.

And the list goes on. On the other hand, if I'm not wrong, Upul Tharanga was there as well. He was just the opposite and even held coaching sessions for some of the kids.
A link please to the story, or would think as hallucinating.

Jayasuriya WAS a very humble guy. But I cannot comment on post MP Jayasuriya TBH.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its hard to see how Jayasuriya is a better fielder than Gayle. And Jayasuriya was pretty much useless as captain. At the end of the day, Jayasuriya's record is hardly exceptional and he was pretty much hit or miss.
Chris Gayle's more underrated than Jayasuriya is overrated.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Its hard to see how Jayasuriya is a better fielder than Gayle. And Jayasuriya was pretty much useless as captain. At the end of the day, Jayasuriya's record is hardly exceptional and he was pretty much hit or miss.
It's hard to understand you anti-Jayasuriya bias, but he's a class above Gayle and Afridi as a fielder, and one of the best in the world pre 2000. Now don't get me comparing Jayasuriya's and Gayle's records as captains. Jayasuriya was non flashy as a captain, but have made very good calls when needed.

vcs

Jayasuriya WAS a very humble guy. But I cannot comment on post MP Jayasuriya TBH.
This so much. A true gentleman and a very humble guy in my perception. Wikipedia says this - "Sanath Jayasuriya is the first cricketer to be appointed as a UN Goodwill Ambassador (by UNAIDS, Geneva) for his commitment to prevention of HIV/AIDS among young people in Sri Lanka." I also remember reading he did a lot of work for the areas affected by the tsunami in Sri Lanka.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Jayasuriya in terms of bowling I think has the edge on Gayle, but both lose out to Afridi...
In terms of batting, Afridi isn't really in the class of the other two... and the whole this is obvious talk is pretty harsh on Gayle, who at the very least is on par in terms of batting given their records at this point, the edge may only just go to Jaya as the player due to the fact that his average has suffered due to playing well after his prime, and whilst having not seen much of Jaya's captaincy I have seen Gayle's and it's shambolic, forever allowing singles in ODI's etc. the ability to enthuse should only get you so far as a captain...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not sure how this is a no contest to be honest.J ayasuriya averages 32 in ODI cricket while Gayle averages nearly 40. Their bowling records are almost identical. Jayasuriya for me is one of the most overrated players going around on this forum. Above average at best, but his reputation is inflated for the impact that he had in the 96 world cup. Maybe we should start hyping up Geoff Allott while we're at it.
Jaya averages 35 @ 92 opening, Gayle averages 41 @ 84 opening. It's not straightforward. Gayle never made me crap my pants like Jayasuriya did. I still remember that match he hit 189 in. IIRC, same match where India replied with 54 all out.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Jaya averages 35 @ 92 opening, Gayle averages 41 @ 84 opening. It's not straightforward. Gayle never made me crap my pants like Jayasuriya did. I still remember that match he hit 189 in. IIRC, same match where India replied with 54 all out.
Thats one of the scars I was talkin' about earlier. Damn, still hurts.

Lostman

State Captain
Gayle never made me crap my pants like Jayasuriya did. I still remember that match he hit 189 in. IIRC, same match where India replied with 54 all out.
Remember that game fondly.:cool:
SL were in trouble early ~100/4, before Jayasuriya and Arnold had a massive partnership.
He had a real shot at the first 200 or Anwars record, got out in the ~48th over trying to charge Ganguly.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Remember that game fondly.:cool:
SL were in trouble early ~100/4, before Jayasuriya and Arnold had a massive partnership.
He had a real shot at the first 200 or Anwars record, got out in the ~48th over trying to charge Ganguly.
Stumped off a wide iirc.

tooextracool

International Coach
Thats exactly my point though. I mean half the posters in this thread made it sound like Chris Gayle should count his lucky stars to even be put in the same row as Jayasuriya. Point is they are at least comparable.

tooextracool

International Coach
It's hard to understand you anti-Jayasuriya bias, but he's a class above Gayle and Afridi as a fielder, and one of the best in the world pre 2000. Now don't get me comparing Jayasuriya's and Gayle's records as captains. Jayasuriya was non flashy as a captain, but have made very good calls when needed.
Gayle is an excellent fielder as well for those who have bothered to watch him. I dont have an anti-Jayasuriya bias, just have a bias against those that choose to put him on a pedestal that he doesnt deserve to be on.

Regarding captaincy, the less said about Jayasuriya the better. Hes probably 2nd from the bottom being marginally better than Hashan Tillekratne in terms of SL captains since Ranatunga.

Daemon

It's Singapore, we lap up every opportunity of promoting cricket we get. They would never publish any article demeaning Sanath. It would be leaving a horrible impression on future cricketers looking to make their way here. Furthermore, this attitude of his wasn't made public, and is sort of an 'inside' fact.

I was there, and I know a lot of the players who played under him as well. The Singaporean cricket scene is small, almost everyone knows each other. I understand you find it hard to believe me, I didn't buy it first as well. But after so many people telling me these facts I can't really deny it can I?

Of these aforementioned people include my coach, an official umpire with Level II ACC/Cricket Australia coaching and umpiring certification, Sarika Prasad.

Saad Janjua, a former Pakistani player transferred to Singapore.

Another coach of mine, Chetan Suryawanshi, who also represents Singapore.

Want more names? (No, I did not do a google search 8-) )
Maybe he had a bad (two) days or the management didn't treat him very well. Neither am I discrediting his charity work which I am well aware of. Just revealing certain facts, up to you whether you believe it or not. :)

BTW his 2 step run-up can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQv6ucViZjE

1:33 is the 15 y/o I was talking about.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Thats exactly my point though. I mean half the posters in this thread made it sound like Chris Gayle should count his lucky stars to even be put in the same row as Jayasuriya. Point is they are at least comparable.
IMO Jayasuriya's destructiveness makes the difference. His average opening is just 1 less than Gilchrist's, and SR 4 points behind. And I'd take Gilchrist as opener ahead of Gayle without blinking once, even if he didn't keep wickets. It's the X factor [(c) marc71178].

tooextracool

International Coach
Chris Gayle's more underrated than Jayasuriya is overrated.
Quite possibly, though I dont pander to the belief that Jayasuriya is a modern day great. If we look at the highest averages in ODI cricket on howstat, there are 89 ODI batters with averages above 35 and Jayasuriya is not even in it. Granted that Jayasuriya's SR probably gives him some extra impetus but lets not disrespect the greats in ODI cricket by tossing his name amongst them.