• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd greatest living cricketer

Who is the 2nd greatest living cricketer (behind Sobers)?

• Total voters

The Great One

Cricket Spectator
Blewett or the Waughs were not genuine allrounders though, at least in tests. They are just guys who can bowl a few decent overs in a day to relieve the main bowlers. Even that is not happening with Australia right now which means your 3 seamers are often bowled to the ground.
100% correct. I said this in another post that you might not have seen.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fun fact: Blewett was on the verge of being recalled for the 2003 World Cup as an all-rounder but the selectors, somewhat controversially, opted for Symonds instead. The rest is history. Blewett had actively been bowling a lot in state and Aus-A games to push for that spot.

Fun Fact 2: At the same time the backup keeper spot for the 2003 WC was a toss up between Jimmy Maher and Justin Langer, who essentially had a bat-off (u know what I mean) in an Aus-A game just before selection. They opened together, Jimmy Maher ran Langer out on about 40 then went on to make a 100 himself, securing the spot. One small change in 2003 could have reinvigorated Langer's ODI career and who knows what could have happened from there.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fun fact: Blewett was on the verge of being recalled for the 2003 World Cup as an all-rounder but the selectors, somewhat controversially, opted for Symonds instead. The rest is history. Blewett had actively been bowling a lot in state and Aus-A games to push for that spot.

Fun Fact 2: At the same time the backup keeper spot for the 2003 WC was a toss up between Jimmy Maher and Justin Langer, who essentially had a bat-off (u know what I mean) in an Aus-A game just before selection. They opened together, Jimmy Maher ran Langer out on about 40 then went on to make a 100 himself, securing the spot. One small change in 2003 could have reinvigorated Langer's ODI career and who knows what could have happened from there.
Second greatest decision involving someone (nick)named Mahbo in Australia's history.

TheJediBrah

Funny they effectively taught Jimmy Maher to keep just so he could back-up Gilly at the 03 world cup. He was serviceable but I wouldn't have bet my house on it.

Burgey

It would have been pretty funny watching him try to keep from Warne if the latter hadn't been suspended. I don't think it would have gone very well.

TheJediBrah

Warne might even have been easier than Brad Hogg back then. No one was picking Hogg's wrongun in 2003. And the flipper he got Andy Flower with phew!

The Great One

Cricket Spectator
Warne might even have been easier than Brad Hogg back then. No one was picking Hogg's wrongun in 2003. And the flipper he got Andy Flower with phew!
From my experiences left wrist spin or "chinaman" as they are sometimes known, are the most difficult bowlers to face.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There's definitely something about them that makes them hard to pick-up.
It's that they are rare. Batsmen's eyes are not trained on them. But then none of them have gone on to achieve even ATVG status. I had high hopes from Kuldeep but he has lost his way.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Didn't Jimmy Maher bowl some SLA darts and actually do well a couple of times in internationals with the ball, or am I remembering something wrong?

Burgey

Cricinfo saying he never bowled in an ODI. Maybe it was Nathan Bracken you were thinking of :ph34r:

TheJediBrah

Didn't Jimmy Maher bowl some SLA darts and actually do well a couple of times in internationals with the ball, or am I remembering something wrong?
yeah definitely not remembering it right. As a youngster he bowled a bit of right-arm medium pacers for Queensland. Might even have bowled his full quota of 10 overs on 1 or 2 occasions but definitely never bowled much at the stage of his career where he was anywhere near Aus selection.

Might be thinking of Darren Lehmann, Adam Voges or Simon Katich (wrist-spin though)

Razi

Cricket Spectator
Performance wise I think tie is in between Imran and Kallis. However, Imran gets an edge being a great Captain, an effective motivator who was able to draw instant willing response from the team.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always thought that it was an over rated notion. The team is generally as good as the sum of its players. But Border/ Waugh and Lloyd does seem to get quite a bit of praise for their team's successes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So re the above post , what do most people see as a more impactful 3rd skill.
Great captain or elite slip fielder?
I think it's very important to not have an absolute **** captain, but the real-world difference between a great one and a decent one at Test level is marginal IMO.