• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd greatest living cricketer

Who is the 2nd greatest living cricketer (behind Sobers)?

• Total voters

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
TBF to Bradman in the above example, while he definitely wasn't an angel he (and others) always said it was a clear bump ball rather than a case of him not walking when he knew it was out.

You're right about home umpiring bias/incompetence (delete as appropriate) not being a new thing - Australians were always happy to talk about Pakistan umpiring and the Javed LBW example, but were rather less quick to mention that Bill Lawry was never once given out LBW in a home Test...

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I don’t think Grace was the best player of the 1800’s because of the umpiring bias he received.

smash84

The Tiger King
Seam lifting and even scuffing the ball in the 80s were rampant in county and international cricket to the extent that umpires barely enforced ball tampering rules. I think one reason for change was better TV coverage honestly. Obviously no bowler from that time, Imran aside, openly admits this given the blowback they would face but I have heard Holding and Hadlee come close when they were defending the legalisation of ball tampering several years back.
He talks about it here in detail.

14:00 onwards and also at 16:00, many points in the interview

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
But if you also include Imran's batting will he be preferred over McGrath?
Similarly Will Hadlee be preferred over Marshall if you consider his batting?

I would like to know detailed answers of above 2 questions.
1. Depends on how strong is the batting department.
But yes.. Mostly Imran > McGrath for me.

2. Even without his batting Hadlee equals Marshall in my opinion. With batting Hadlee easily better.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He talks about it here in detail.

14:00 onwards and also at 16:00, many points in the interview
I watched from about 12 mins in until the end. It was actually a fascinating watch.

I had said in a previous comment that I didn't even know how much that would have improved his figures if at all and think that is also clear.

But it was clear that he did perpetuate and encourage the behavior and I don't think there's a chance that he only used the bottle cap only once.

What I didn't like was the part where he was like, everyone else was doing so, so it was ok. Though the only damning part was when the two umpires spoke about the condition of the ball after that one spell in county cricket.

To defend Imran though, as he said, there was another bowler at the other end and he didn't have the same success, and obviously Imran was better, he was a top 10 bowler of all time. Standing almost indistinguishably alongside Lillee, Donald, Garner, Trueman etc..

smash84

The Tiger King
I watched from about 12 mins in until the end. It was actually a fascinating watch.

I had said in a previous comment that I didn't even know how much that would have improved his figures if at all and think that is also clear.

But it was clear that he did perpetuate and encourage the behavior and I don't think there's a chance that he only used the bottle cap only once.

What I didn't like was the part where he was like, everyone else was doing so, so it was ok. Though the only damning part was when the two umpires spoke about the condition of the ball after that one spell in county cricket.

To defend Imran though, as he said, there was another bowler at the other end and he didn't have the same success, and obviously Imran was better, he was a top 10 bowler of all time. Standing almost indistinguishably alongside Lillee, Donald, Garner, Trueman etc..
Yes, it was actually a pretty good watch. I think he came pretty clean and was quite straightforward about things. I found it quite convincing. As he said, reverse swing is not just about scratching the ball.

Gob

International Coach
I know he is dead but where does Fred Trueman sit. Seem to get pretty underrated around here

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I know he is dead but where does Fred Trueman sit. Seem to get pretty underrated around here
I put Trueman high on my list. 1st name in the tier below the gold tier which has Marshall, Hadlee, McGrath, Ambrose and Steyn. So #6 overall

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Trueman is as good a bowler as any of the others. I think he played about 70% of his Tests in England and (unlike Lillee) did actually deliberately dodge tours of the Sub Continent. So CW naturally dumps him down the pile as a result.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trueman should be rated lower than others. Shouldn't overly reward a guy just for doing amazingly in England

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a top 5, and tbh it's really difficult to separate the rest. But goes something like

Marshall, McGrath, Hadlee, Ambrose, Steyn

And then.

Lillee, Donald, Imran, Trueman, Akram, Garner, Davidson, Lindwall, Holding, Waqar

But this group , especially the the first 5 or 6 are very close.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't believe there's all this discussion about noted half centurion Glenn McGrath being bad with the bat. I mean he made his best score against the world champs and batted ahead of Hayden in a world XI side. Surely he's better than Hadlee with the bat given the latter scored precisely zero runs vs the world champs.