• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd best one-day team in the world

Salamuddin

International Debutant
G'day all,

There's been afair amount of debate on this:
THis is my take:
1) Rule out Bang, Zim and Sl -- haven't done anything noteworthy really over the last year.
(I think you've gotta look at a reasonable timeframe when determining CURRENT rankings -- 3 years seems too long as some teams have undergone lots of changes).
2) Not WI -- Wonderful batting side with some potentially good bowlers -- I'd like to see more consistency though.
Their 4-3 win over India in India which was alluded to by other people was a good effort particulalrly without Lara. However, crucially, what many people fail to point out is that Tendulkar (the Wc's leading run scorer) and Zaheer Khan (India's best one-day bowler as per the ICC rankings and certainly their premier strike pacer) did not play in that series.
Harbhajan also missed a few games. This has to be noted.
4) NZl's one day results over the past year have been up-down.
Sure they beat India 5-2 at home on their greentops but they alo got thumped 3-1 by the Windies in the Caribbean and were beaten by India on a sporting wicket in the 'cup. Added to that their failure to make the semis of either the mini or the actual world cups rules
them out.
5) Pakistan -- Surely not -- nothng of great significance has been achieved over the past year.
6) That leaves England, India and RSA.
England have a rising, in-form side -- they played superbly to beat
RSA and PAk in the Natwest series.
Are England better than India ? Well lets look at their results since 2002.
Eng 3 Ind 3 (In India)
Eng 1 Ind 2 (in Eng)
Eng 0 Ind 1 (in Sl)
Eng 0 Ind 1 (in RSA)

Eng 4 INd 7
Interestingly, for games played outside the subcontinent, its
ENg 1 INd 3.
At the moment, India are entitled to feel they are a stronger team.

So I'd put India at 2 closely followed by England and RSA.

masterblaster

International Captain
Welcome to the forums James.

Oh dear...I can see the whole India/England debate getting out of hand again.

Because your new, your excused!

We've had this debate for about a year now, with both sides ending up pretty bitter.

But yeah, your reasoning is very valid.

At the moment, Id say its hard to completely seperate India/South Africa/England/Sri Lanka/New Zealand

Either team is good on their day.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
England played out here last summer and couldn't beat us, they got close but didn't win which means that they aren't there yet. they choke even better than south africa

India were oblitereated in the WC final and never looked like winning, so i dont think that =they are close either

RSA choke well, and with Rhodes retired they dont stand a chance, though with smith coming good, im not really sure.

NZ and WI have bothe beaten us recently, both are good sides, though NZ withoutt Shane Bond would probably not be competitive with us. same with the WI without Lara.

honestly i dont think anyone is close to us atm, all of those teams could beat us, but its unlikley. i think between those teams its all about the team who plays best on the day

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's been long-said on here that barring Australia and the minnows, any side can beat any other in ODI's if it's their day.

It is incredibly close at the moment, and good for World Cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
same with the WI without Lara.
Lara has scored at an average of 33.2 in his last 18 ODI innings v Australia and Australia have gone 5-13 over that period. Proves your point perfectly.

Rich2001

International Captain
age_master said:
England played out here last summer and couldn't beat us, they got close but didn't win which means that they aren't there yet. they choke even better than south africa

India were oblitereated in the WC final and never looked like winning, so i dont think that =they are close either

RSA choke well, and with Rhodes retired they dont stand a chance, though with smith coming good, im not really sure.

NZ and WI have bothe beaten us recently, both are good sides, though NZ withoutt Shane Bond would probably not be competitive with us. same with the WI without Lara.

honestly i dont think anyone is close to us atm, all of those teams could beat us, but its unlikley. i think between those teams its all about the team who plays best on the day
So going by that Age it's Aus 1st and nobody is allowed 2nd - Intresting :rolleyes:

And why does the 2nd best side need to have beaten Aus to be classed as 2nd best? - There are another 9 teams that play this game, and results among them is just as important.

I agree with Jamesryfler, India are certainly 2nd ATM their team is pretty much formed and have a few youth coming through to keep things balanced.

You can't put Eng or SA there IMO as both have made big changes (Eng inparticular) so untill we put some wins togeter and perform consistanty with the new side then it's to hard to tell.

Pakistan / Sri Lanka - Are feeling the toll of not blooding youth early enough just like the WI's did, however they are certainly on the turn now.

Talking of the WI, again like James says the batting is fine it's just the bowling that needs to be tightened up a bit, I remember watching the WI vs AUS series and in the ODI WI were being forced to use so many part-time bolwers because the front-liners were being pasted around the park.

New Zealand are so hard to read, on their day they are super and just as quick they can be terible. They normally rise for the big Cups however had a dissapointing set this time around. Overall I think the WI have had a better year as a whole as just pip NZ to the next spot.

Australia
India
England / South Africa
West Indies
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
Pakistan
The Rest

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im going to go with Sri Lanka, I would say South Africa, but im sick to the back teeth of their choking ability...

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
I would love to say South Africa, India or England but i feel New Zealand is the second best od team in the world...its exceptionally close though

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Im going to go with Sri Lanka, I would say South Africa, but im sick to the back teeth of their choking ability...
IMO Sri Lanka don't have the depth to be given the title of second best. With the batting, if Atapattu and Jayasuriya fail to score, they tend to struggle. Also, I don't see anyone in the middle or lower order who can push the score along and as such, they have struggled to score in the last 10-15 overs of late.

Mr Mxyzptlk

gibbsnsmith said:
I would love to say South Africa, India or England but i feel New Zealand is the second best od team in the world...its exceptionally close though
I think New Zealand have one too many bits and pieces players (ie bowling allrounders and batting allrounders) and probably lack one more quality batsman. Aside from Fleming and Astle, they really don't have anyone who you can count on to get a big score if required.

I would have to say India are the best of the rest currently.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
This topic is as fragile as the relationship between me and my ex gf.. who was hot enough for me to suspect she was moving around the table..i was right only on 1 instance..

Langeveldt

Soutie
lord_of_darkness said:
This topic is as fragile as the relationship between me and my ex gf.. who was hot enough for me to suspect she was moving around the table..i was right only on 1 instance..

Hahah!, good comparison Reuben....