• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2021 English Cricket Season

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Is there a chance this year for Haseeb Hameed to make the test side? The kid looked real good but then I heard he just went off the boil. If not for the finger injury he sustained against India he'd still be opening for England?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there a chance this year for Haseeb Hameed to make the test side? The kid looked real good but then I heard he just went off the boil. If not for the finger injury he sustained against India he'd still be opening for England?
He injured himself then lost form completely, couldn't even get into his country's first choice XI. Had an alright season last season but don't think he'de currently be in the recconing.

Tom Flint

International Regular
His moved from lancs to notts so hopefully a fresh start can continue his return to form. Only made 10 yesterday tho

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Three weeks from his 45th birthday , Darren Stevens with 116no v Northants. Still life in the old guy.

I wonder who was the most recent 44/45 year old to make a championship century.
I don't think this is the most recent one (see Boycott in 1985 & 1986) but it may be the oldest in recent memory.
Worcestershire v Lancashire at Worcester, 23-25 Aug 1978 (espncricinfo.com)

D'Oliveira's a tricky call because we don't know exactly how old he was. When he first came to England, he claimed to have been born in 1933 as he didn't want to put off the England selectors due to being too old. That was subsequently revised to 1931. But his biographer says he eventually admitted to having been born in 1928. His birthday was in October, so, at the time of this innings, he would have been 49. fwiw his unbeaten 50 the following season was arguably even more impressive. It was against a Somerset attack including Garner and peak Botham, which is is a fair effort by anyone, especially a 50 year old.

tony p

First Class Debutant
I don't think this is the most recent one (see Boycott in 1985 & 1986) but it may be the oldest in recent memory.
Worcestershire v Lancashire at Worcester, 23-25 Aug 1978 (espncricinfo.com)

D'Oliveira's a tricky call because we don't know exactly how old he was. When he first came to England, he claimed to have been born in 1933 as he didn't want to put off the England selectors due to being too old. That was subsequently revised to 1931. But his biographer says he eventually admitted to having been born in 1928. His birthday was in October, so, at the time of this innings, he would have been 49. fwiw his unbeaten 50 the following season was arguably even more impressive. It was against a Somerset attack including Garner and peak Botham, which is is a fair effort by anyone, especially a 50 year old.
I believe I saw something on a BBC website that the most recent oldest player was Chris Balderstone in 1986.
Opening the batting for Leicestershire v Sussex, 19-22 July 1986, he made 115 in the second innings.
As he was born on 16th Nov 1940, it would have made him around 45 years & 247 days, depending whether he completed his century on the second or third day.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Hildreth was still in would fancy us today, but who knows clearly DeLange was brought in as a batting all-rounder8-), and generally our tail wags.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder how severely the authorities will see fit to deal with this. Maybe a suspension for the keeper and maybe for the captain too. In an ideal world, they'd declare the match drawn as there's no guarantee that Hampshire would have bowled out Leicestershire without this dismissal.
lol

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Some win that for Somerset. Elsewhere, Gloucestershire are looking well set to see off a thoroughly insipid Surrey performance.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Yeah that's shocking behaviour from Hants. Should've called him back straight away. Keeper should get a ban for that and probably the skipper too.

Nice to see six hundreds from opening batters in the first round of games. England could use one.