• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***2021 Australian Domestic off season thread***

Smudge80

Cricket Spectator
you got what you asked for baby

But really, your post is all wrong. It's twisting the narrative around. He didn't get dropped for Sangha/Edwards until he played 6 games this season for an average of 24 and NSW got rolled for 32. Hardly a shock he got dropped after that. Teams tend to make changes when they suck all season and get embarrassed. It's something to do with making them earn it. Solway made a ton on debut, and then over the next 12 games averaged 32. He missed some games and got shuffled around the order when Aus players came back to the team, which is perfectly fine. It's hardly a hard luck story. This ain't like when NSW just decided Mad Dog was too hard to handle.

If there's one hack player, one once a season knock player that screwed Solway over, it ain't Sangha, it ain't Edwards, it ain't Gilkes. It's Nick Larkin and just because he's a old **** doesn't mean he can avoid the blame. Larkin should have been cut yonks ago because it was perfectly clear he was barely shield standard despite 2nd XI and Grade runs and we wasted game after game into him. Solway could have possibly made the opening spot his own if it wasn't for Larkin wasting everyone's time. Now, I will absolutely agree that there's an element of Solway being thrown out with the bathwater here because Larkin and Hughes sucked eggs last season and made every single innings for NSW difficult, but Solway sucked too.

NSW has spent most of the past 10 seasons completely ignoring youth, bar one season when Edwards and Sangha got games, and then they got ignored for the next 18 months anyway, but the results aren't actually there for NSW. Larkin averaged under 30. Hughes is slipping to mid 30's with most of his runs from the last two seasons coming from two games. Solway averaged 32 over his last 10 games. And NSW have won two shields in that time, one in 2013-2014 and one in the Covid affected season, which we got early wins when we had Warner and Smith around, and would have probably struggled in a final. We've been saved recently by having Steve Smith and David Warner play a few more games than usual, and Mosies Henriques batting like a God. It's not a surprise NSW are moving in a new direction because the old direction wasn't taking them anywhere anyway.

They've given way too many contracts to OD/T20 folk, and I kinda figured Copeland would get the tap on the shoulder. Not sure what the point of recruiting Tremain was, I figured he was going to be the steady vet replacing Copeland but now there's a 50/50 chance they both disappear next season.
No disrespect to Edwards, Gilkes, Sangha, Hearne and Davies but they are nowhere near as good as Solway and Larkin. I think NSW will end up massively regretting this decision as their batting will be exposed when Warner, Hughes, Smith, Patterson and Henriques aren't available. They should have cut M Edwards and Tremain and retained Larkin and Solway as it has left them with 15 seamers and only 11 batsmen.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I had completely forgotten about Tremain until he played in a rain shortened 2nd XI game in Brisbane and was easily the best NSW bowler

Why did he move back?

Solway should move states

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yikes. What a scumbag.
That was my reaction too, but then my rational brain says to wait for the legal process to play out first. Being charged with a crime does not make him guilty. The evidence sounds pretty damning though.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Why did he move back?
Honestly this has been puzzling me deeply ever since it was first announced. Remember saying it was a seriously questionable career move at the time to go back to NSW, but I can't say I expected him to not even get a look in even with all the Test bowlers unavailable

Pure speculation here, but I wonder if there were issues between him and others in the Vic setup, got dropped for Fekete of all people late in his last season in Victoria

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Might have just been family/lifestyle concerns. State cricketers don't earn quite enough to let their career prospects totally dominate their decisions, and noone really wants to live in Victoria.

Smudge80

Cricket Spectator
I had completely forgotten about Tremain until he played in a rain shortened 2nd XI game in Brisbane and was easily the best NSW bowler

Why did he move back?

Solway should move states
South Australia or Tasmania would look the most likely option for Solway.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
South Australia or Tasmania would look the most likely option for Solway.
I wonder if anyone within the South Australian setup knew Solway was in line for the chop before finalising the contract list? He is exactly the sort of player that would be of benefit to the states Shield program

Can't see any reason why he would want to come here uncontracted, none whatsoever

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder if anyone within the South Australian setup knew Solway was in line for the chop before finalising the contract list? He is exactly the sort of player that would be of benefit to the states Shield program

Can't see any reason why he would want to come here uncontracted, none whatsoever
Maybe they can cut Head and give his contract to Solway

TheJediBrah

That was my reaction too, but then my rational brain says to wait for the legal process to play out first. Being charged with a crime does not make him guilty.
Sure if it's a she-said/he-said. But I can't imagine any scenario where this is a false accusation

TheJediBrah

Jokes actually require having some semblance of humour in them
I'll make sure I run everything past you to make sure it suits your taste in the future

Do you respond quickly if I want to make a joke on the spot to someone I'm talking to in person?

edit: oh btw this was a joke. I won't actually message you every time I need to communicate with someone, you probably thought I was serious

Spikey

No disrespect to Edwards, Gilkes, Sangha, Hearne and Davies but they are nowhere near as good as Solway and Larkin. I think NSW will end up massively regretting this decision as their batting will be exposed when Warner, Hughes, Smith, Patterson and Henriques aren't available. They should have cut M Edwards and Tremain and retained Larkin and Solway as it has left them with 15 seamers and only 11 batsmen.
Buddy, the batting has been badly exposed for the last 2 seasons. Did you miss the game they got bowled out for 32? Did you miss Abbott and Henriques being their two best batsman? The only regret NSW should have is they listened to PEWS instead of me and didn't cut Larkin seasons ago.