• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Holy ****. Hard to pick the best out of those sixes. Try the one he flat bats straight off Duffy, two beautiful efforts down the ground off Kitchen or the one over cow off Rae that is probably still coming down now.

The guy is just such an insanely powerful striker. His game and approach obviously has more holes than Swiss cheese but holy hell there's something to work with here in terms of how pure he hits it. I hope he wants to be as good as he can be in all formats.

Flem274*

123/5
meanwhile this cameo from ajaz must be his highest score ever. he isn't much with the bat. im guessing by it being seddon park and us playing two spinners that northern have predictably rolled out yet another slow strip of centrals kryptonite.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Allen is still so young he can develop plenty over the years. I'm not saying he is like Guptill yet but there is no reason why he can't be better than Guptill. To play the way he is at the age he is you got to be mentally very tough. Couple of games or three doesn't go well there will be a lot of criticism but any team would love to have him in the form he is at.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Allen is still so young he can develop plenty over the years. I'm not saying he is like Guptill yet but there is no reason why he can't be better than Guptill. To play the way he is at the age he is you got to be mentally very tough. Couple of games or three doesn't go well there will be a lot of criticism but any team would love to have him in the form he is at.
Don't think it would be that mentally tough to play this way to be honest. It'd take a hell of a lot natural talent and skill of course. But he's basically eliminated having to worry about things like "Is this ball the right line to play an attacking shot?" "Should I be playing back or forwards?" "Should I leave or defend?". All of that goes in the bin when you're just trying to hit every ball for 6.

The Hutt Rec

You'd back Wellington to get a bonus point here, so Auckland need a jumbo win over Canterbury in their 29 over match now.

nzfan

Don't think it would be that mentally tough to play this way to be honest. It'd take a hell of a lot natural talent and skill of course. But he's basically eliminated having to worry about things like "Is this ball the right line to play an attacking shot?" "Should I be playing back or forwards?" "Should I leave or defend?". All of that goes in the bin when you're just trying to hit every ball for 6.
That's the whole point of being mentally tough eh? Not worry about external factors and play to your strength. Keep out the noises, distractions away and not over think is being mentally strong?

vandem

International 12th Man
Cbf doing the maths, but I assume Auckland only need a (small) win over Cant to knock ND out of 3rd spot (22 points each) if ND lose. Current NRR ND -0.146, Auck -0.209.

ND's batting has been weak in the last two weeks, they messed up chasing 188 last week when all-rounders got too aggressive (needing just over 3 rpo, Hampton run out trying for a 3rd, Kuggs trying to hit the part time spinner for 6 when long on and long off were back) and then Cooper (batting with the tail) was too conservative. Don't really deserve to be a finalist. And today I think Patel and Lennox might be too good.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That's the whole point of being mentally tough eh? Not worry about external factors and play to your strength. Keep out the noises, distractions away and not over think is being mentally strong?
I wouldn't call "Does this ball deserve to be hit for 6?" an external factor or a distraction. It's basic fundamentals of batting. Playing to your strengths is all well and good, but making it at the next level is going to require a higher degree of versatility than I think he's showing at the moment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wouldn't call "Does this ball deserve to be hit for 6?" an external factor or a distraction. It's basic fundamentals of batting. Playing to your strengths is all well and good, but making it at the next level is going to require a higher degree of versatility than I think he's showing at the moment.
Yep. Certainly in forms other than T20 anyway.

The Hutt Rec

Cbf doing the maths, but I assume Auckland only need a (small) win over Cant to knock ND out of 3rd spot (22 points each) if ND lose. Current NRR ND -0.146, Auck -0.209.

ND's batting has been weak in the last two weeks, they messed up chasing 188 last week when all-rounders got too aggressive (needing just over 3 rpo, Hampton run out trying for a 3rd, Kuggs trying to hit the part time spinner for 6 when long on and long off were back) and then Cooper (batting with the tail) was too conservative. Don't really deserve to be a finalist. And today I think Patel and Lennox might be too good.
For some reason I didn't even compute that ND could still miss out ... looks like they're on track atm though.