• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

vandem

International 12th Man
I mentioned in the other thread how R O'Donnell has a rather weak average for someone initially talked up a fair bit, though he is still only 26. Looking around the domestics there are more batsmen like this than I initially realised.

So here it is, Battle Of The Mid-20s Batsmen Who've Been Around A Bit By Now And It's About Time To Start Averaging 40 Plus Like Greg Hay.
O'Donnell (Auck, 26) - 2513 @ 30.6
Solia (Auck, 27) - 1215 @ 30.4
L Carter (Cant, 25) - 1551 @ 31.0
Bowes (Cant, 28) - 2835 @ 27.2
McConchie (Cant, 28) - 1680 @ 32.9
J Carter (ND, 27) - 2293 @ 30.6
Renwick (Otago, 27) - 1194 @ 24.4
Kelly (Otago, 27) - 727 @ 22.7

Only encouraging signs from the two Carters so far this season.
4 of your 8 did OK in the last 2 FC seasons (stats below). Solia was picked as an all-rounder. Renwick was picked as a keeper (and scored 292 runs @ 58.40 in the 3 games where Max Chu played), and Nick Kelly is only restarting his FC career after occasional games for ND. So perhaps only Bowes from your list can be regarded as a mid-20s batter not currently kicking on?

O'Donnell, last 2 seasons 648 runs @ 36.00
Leo Carter, last 2 seasons 566 runs @ 51.45
Joe Carter, last 2 seasons 875 runs @ 43.75
McConchie, last 2 seasons 548 runs @ 45.67

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Dougie with a quick hundy.... 33 needed now for CD. Close game... it'll be amazing if they make it.

vandem

International 12th Man
Needed a little more out of the CD top 5. Worker-Hay-Young-Taylor-Bruce is the most experienced domestic top 5 but nobody passed 23 on a pitch that had a little variable bounce but was not a minefield.

Doug Bracewell is only 30 - perhaps he has a future as a test batting all-rounder if de Grandhomme's form fades and Nathan Smith isn't ready?

Tidy debut for Joey Field, 2 wickets and 32 runs in a 102 run stand with Bracewell. He is the first of the NZ U19 World Cup squad to play at FC level.

vandem

International 12th Man
At the Mount, Wagner has only bowled 5 overs in 2nd innings, and appears that Sodhi finished off an over of de Grandhomme's (10.4-1-40-0). Nothing on ND Twitter. Anybody know anything more?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
He kicks his right leg up and reaches down to his right foot for a stretch in that over.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Milne to play the entire BBL for Shane Bond's Sydney Thunder. Released from his Stags contract to do so.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah he's injured this week. He'll be alright to bowl four overs per game by December for sure.

I think the time might have come to accept this is what he's gonna do with his life. Even when he plays PS stuff he doesn't dominate it, and it's not like bowling fast and hostile stuff can't do that (Ferguson has been great lately, not to mention *that season* of Mark Gillespie).

Freeing him up for it might even let him develop into an actual staple of the NZ Twenty20 lineup.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
If only we could do the same for Blundell's confidence by releasing him to flourish in his natural habitat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If only we could do the same for Blundell's confidence by releasing him to flourish in his natural habitat.
Test pitches and Sheffield Shield pitches are different animals though. I don't think he'd be smashing it here at the moment either, even if the grounds are in all Adelaide.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah I'm needing a quite big money gig to crop up here for Blundell anyway. Just in case he'd then relinquish the international match fees to the better man for the task slightly more willingly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah I'm needing a quite big money gig to crop up here for Blundell anyway. Just in case he'd then relinquish the international match fees to the better man for the task slightly more willingly.
Oh. I see. I thought you were just suggesting Blundell would be making bulk runs opening in the Sheffield Shield despite his meagre PS returns. I think there have actually been times this were true for players... this season so far is not one of them.

Last edited:

nzfan

Often my thought about test openers in fact. Yes we love test cricket but a player that's good enough to play white ball cricket particularly T20 cricket will start to think is it worth working hard out between tests, then out for not much and don't get to bat for the rest of the test match. A match fees of about 10k per test match. 4 to 6 test matches a year. Or play T20 leagues around the world, maybe 5 of them, travel a bit, see the world, have a go and not worry if you don't come off. Easily make at least 50k for each tourney. Less pressure as well unless playing in IPL.

What's better? How does one motivate himself to work to get better at red ball cricket?

It's all well and good to aim for test matches but you start to think as a player is it all that worth putting yourself through such hardships when you can make way more with less stress.

nzfan

A bit of topic as well but for franchise cricket your don't carry a baggage. If you're doing well personally you'll be least attached to a single team. You're in more demand as long as your personal form is in good nick. Your don't have to hurt much losing a game as next year you'll probably be trying to beat the team you played for this year ? that's a strange feeling.

What are the chances Chris Gayle is going to be given a knighthood for his exploits in franchise cricket sometime down the lane?

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
ND's short-pitched assault on Rippon before his engine-rooming could get out of hand.