• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Big morning for the bowlers. Jamieson still impressing, and the Canterbury bowlers are ripping through Wellington.

Maybe ND will be glad they haven't started this morning based on the other games!

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Henry and Jamieson rampaging through.... Bugger why did Will Willams had to get Rachin out. Likely he would have batted all day today with sun out :( That a soft dismissal. Shows how much we rely on Ravindra and Conway.

Welcome to the captial Finn Allen... watched him bat 5 balls off Henry, he beat him 5 times and knocked him over. Coming from Auckland, batting on those decks and adjusting to a green seamer with lot of bounce in the capital is a different ball game. The lad will learn and I have high hopes of him this summer. He should be batting at no.4, no point hiding him.

While I'm typing this, another of my favorite player Nathan Smith out for a duck. Not a great day for batters.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
:lol: at those scores this morning. Oh Otago.

Irony that possibly the greenest looking pitch of the lot at Seddon Park hasn't yielded a wicket though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While I'm typing this, another of my favorite player Nathan Smith out for a duck. Not a great day for batters.
Looked to me like that might've been a rough one, thought it was probably sliding well down leg.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Danru Ferns looking like a significantly improved seamer who might be getting a good domestic run now. Still a bit of a dawdler in his run-up, but good bounce and movement in the ball-by-ball.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Any way to get the video link for a wicket? Want to share that Henry wicket with the stumps flying everywhere

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Started the day at what, 50/2? Conway may bat a little less breezily next time.

Slow-mo on those stumps-everywhere ball from Henry is not flattering to the batsman, though I guess he is only number 7.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Scorelines like these do make you wonder whether the groundsmen are leaning too far towards mimicking the the test-match conditions used to undermine your average leaden footed tourist from the subcontinent. I'm not sure how much value these kinds of pitches have in terms of preparation for international cricket.

Admittedly, it might just be that the batsmen are all suffering from Covid-rust to a greater extent than the bowlers.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Started the day at what, 50/2? Conway may bat a little less breezily next time.
Yes I hate when a South African gets ribbed about his cautious Mr. Red Ink status and tries to ingratiate himself. That loose cover drive on the up gave Daryl Mitchell a 40-pointer in our draft.

If only we could bring Sears into this game now as a Covid replacement. If we can't win, these Cantabs certainly deserve to feel it for what they've done.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Basin pitch does look to be doing a lot - the ball to Bracewell reared and think Henry was feeling like he was back in England with the Duke.

Don't know that Otago have much to blame at EPOO though, none of the wickets look very pitch-dependent, they're just unable to cope with Jamieson and friends.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
After a faulty start it's nice to see some signs of life from Otago's engine room.
Basin pitch does look to be doing a lot - the ball to Bracewell reared and think Henry was feeling like he was back in England with the Duke.
Yeah, Latham also seems to be struggling to control the bounce with those last two cutshots.

Is Chu a former softball player or something? That backlift is absurd!

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Watched pre-lunch hour at EPOO. A little more green and bounce than usual but nothing to show why Otago were 6-38 when I arrived. Rippon looks very organised, batted more like a #6 than a bowling all-rounder. Chu struggled to get his feet moving and was lucky to survive his first couple of overs against Ferns. Shot of the morning: Rippon wristy back foot square drive boundary off Solia.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I hate when a South African gets ribbed about his cautious Mr. Red Ink status and tries to ingratiate himself. That loose cover drive on the up gave Daryl Mitchell a 40-pointer in our draft.
The person that picked Daryl Mitchell needed that tbh after N Smith got a duck. At 6 he needs to be the first engine-roomer rather than the last of Otago's underperforming regular batting order new-ball watchmen.

Chu a very exaggerated version of the classic left handed slasher (Flynn, Rutherford, Chapman etc), every shot is clear front leg, squat on crease and slash bat starting from point. Can be quite effective though.

Last edited: