• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Great to see Rippon rip through no pun intended :) he'll make reporter's delight with the last name such as that and being a chinaman.

He's good, I'd like to think he offers something different. Can bat for sure. Bit inconsistent with lines and length but that comes with the wrist spinning territory. Very enterprising cricketer. Not sure if he's played for NZ A yet. That'd be the next step I guess now that he has qualified.

How come Ajaz didn't play for CD?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Hat-trick for Rae for Otago today, all three taken by the same short-leg fielder:

www.stuff.co.nz

Plunket Shield: Otago's Michael Rae, Dale Phillips combine for rare bowler-fielder hat-trick
Otago seamer writes himself into record books with a rare type of hat-trick, where the same fielder took all three catches.
www.stuff.co.nz
www.stuff.co.nz

Reminds me of a game I played at Bankstown Oval once where our point fielder nabbed a hat trick of run outs that were almost identical. I should ask CricInfo at some point whether this feat has ever been achieved at first class level as the raw likelihood of the ball going to the same fielder and having a chance to effect a run out three times in a row must be much, much lower than a standard hat trick.

EDIT: Love the way Rae sports the old headband. Classic stuff.
That is brilliant. Rae generally seems a pretty likeable character from what I have seen and read

nzfan

if i were ashok, or a deposed delport, i'd go to wellington or canterbury. younghusband and van woerkom are easier targets than will somerville.
If I were Ashok I wouldn't bother looking at Firebirds. CD would be a better fit. For a starter playing mostly at basin he's not going to bowl much. Besides he'll be behind Bracewell, Younghusband and Ravindra in that order.

Ravindra bowls like 8-10 overs a season in first class no point coming to Wellington. You want to be bowling loads of overs otherwise it's a waste of time. Much better off playing club cricket and bowling heaps than getting selected in first class but not bowling.

Either CD or Otago would suit him best. The uni deck doesn't do much for spinners either so either CD or ND.

Eden park outer oval is one place where spinners are always in the game. I'm sure he'll get a go. He'll just have to wait up.

I remember, the likes of Ravindra had to wait for like 3 years after his first NZ under 19 stint. Everyone in Wellington was frustrated seeing lot less capable sub standard players given a go while Ravindra was playing school and club cricket.

Another once in a generation player Ben Sears had to wait 3 years too before he could make first class after playing for NZ under 19s. Now these two are our super stars and are at the top of the pecking order.

If you want to come to Wellington, you're better off having played already elsewhere and sort of established like Bennett, Van Beek, Neesham etc

We have few spinners from other centers lurking in the club already like Benton, Felix Murray etc with domestic experience. They're not even getting a go at Wellington A yet so chances of Ashok being drafted into firebirds looks bleak.

Jesse Tashkoff the NZ under 19 captain, left arm spinning spinning all rounder that took 5 fer recently for Wellington A is finding it hard to crack the Wellington A side consistently.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
If I were Ashok I wouldn't bother looking at Firebirds. CD would be a better fit.
Culturally Wellington would be a superb fit though and a better fit than CD.

Neesham, Allen and Sears vs. Seth Rance and co....the first lot are the liberal elite white men (never too gruff, callous or abrasive) that young Asian cricket nuts often prefer.

Bracewell can go home and bowl up a storm in tandem with Rippon for his original team. The Otago Daily Times will relish portraying his frugal farming man's hauls against NZ domestic batting lineups as quite portentous stuff and a great underdog story.

nzfan

Culturally Wellington would be a superb fit though and a better fit than CD.

Neesham, Allen and Sears vs. Seth Rance and co....the first lot are the liberal elite white men (never too gruff, callous or abrasive) that young Asian cricket nuts often prefer.

Bracewell can go home and bowl up a storm in tandem with Rippon for his original team. The Otago Daily Times will relish portraying his frugal farming man's hauls against NZ domestic batting lineups as quite portentous stuff and a great underdog story.
Culturally yes but cricketing reason probably no. Like I said if he was to come to Wellington now for some reason he will definitely be playing lots of club cricket. There will be a lot of displeasure if there are players brought from outside of Wellington. You know how it works here. Besides doubt there are any opening at all in the contracts this year. Don't think anyone from Wellington will get a black caps contract this year meaning the same number of contracts will stay. Maybe the only opening is if Colson doesn't want to play cricket. He's gone all right I think so he'll be continued. Fletcher has been in the sidelines most of the season but surely he's going to get a go again next year at least in one day format.

I don't think anyone from firebirds is hanging the boots either. Bennett is probably the oldest in the set up and easily he will play for next 2-3 years.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bennett has said he’s giving first class up after this season.
Fair enough, Wellington's got decent depth in FC cricket with van Beek, McPeake, Sears and Newton. Plus the guy looks like he's dragging a boulder behind him when he's walking back to his mark even in T20's.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes RR's leaving has never impressed me a great deal. Even when you're an U23 and learning the craft, the floaty 125 ones starting on 4th stump and going wider shouldn't really get you.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes RR's leaving has never impressed me a great deal. Even when you're an U23 and learning the craft, the floaty 125 ones starting on 4th stump and going wider shouldn't really get you.
That’s the modern day opener though isn’t it? Leave balls on 4th stump, leave a bunch of cash on the table. And that’s before you mention the attention span of those born after 1995 or so, which I think you’ve made a point of rightly in the past

nzfan

I think if I were coach or captain I'd consistently use 120+ bowlers against RR. He gets into position so early my theory is he doesn't know what to do with the slowish bowling. I wouldn't waste my best bowler on him, he generally doesn't get out to the best of the bowlers.

I don't think leaving is a problem there's no way anyone would have been able to produce as many runs as he has done at basin without proper defence and leave.

Last edited:

nzfan

Back to back hundies for Blundell. He ain't going anywhere. I wish he was batting at no.6 for Black caps. I suppose only a matter of time.

nzfan

No place for Ashok this game too eh? Understandable now they'll have to bowl Phillips too. I think Ashok will get an offer or two from elsewhere. If he's not enrolled to a uni like all young players do these days might as well make a move, things aren't going to change with aces I think.

nzfan

Why is Rutherford not being spoken about for the UK tour? Every year he plays county and score heaps of runs. I know of his problems with short bowling but the dude can bat.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A T20 ton in September, but not really an undisputed master of all English second division attacks in all formats yet. Three 100s and six 50s over the years, career average is 31.5.