• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

Flem274*

123/5
in some ways i think worker is extremely unlucky not to have played a lot of odis. the ford trophy has been extremely reliable for a decade and he's one of the best batsmen in it, but at the same time i put him in that guptill/roy/rohit category of guys who can smoke it in the nidahas pepsi kfc trophy on motorways but will always be a liability in a wc semi or final against the best of the best when the ball moves.

still think he'd have played more odis if he batted at #5 in fc cricket and hid his 'modern odi batsman' tendencies more.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I know I've given nzfan a couple of digs about Sears, but the more I see of him, the more I don't think you can pick someone like Kugz ahead of him anymore (especially with the later's ER once again hovering around the 10rpo mark this summer). With Lockie out, I'd probably give Sears a go in 1 or 2 of the Aus T20I's this summer.

Flem274*

123/5
im coming round to it, tho would pick my grounds. we don't need another 17 year old adam milne debut at a rugby stadium deal where the edges race for 4

thundaboult

International Debutant
Yeah tbh I've never seen kugz taking enough poles or score runs in t20s....big fan of his but he isn't suited to the shorter format game.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I know I've given nzfan a couple of digs about Sears, but the more I see of him, the more I don't think you can pick someone like Kugz ahead of him anymore (especially with the later's ER once again hovering around the 10rpo mark this summer). With Lockie out, I'd probably give Sears a go in 1 or 2 of the Aus T20I's this summer.
Of the younger lot, NZC got to get guys like Sears, Ravindra, Nathan Smith, Clarkson and Allen. Longer you wait on them more you miss out. They don't have to play every game but few games and here and that's a good way to go about acclimatizing them to the next level. Most BCs are not young anymore. You have to start resting them and rotating a bit if serious about building the bench strength.

thundaboult

International Debutant
fishy will definitely get a run in the remaining ford trophy games...are any of those televised?

clarkson with a fantastic 6, wow

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
im coming round to it, tho would pick my grounds. we don't need another 17 year old adam milne debut at a rugby stadium deal where the edges race for 4
I actually think with the pace and bounce we've seen there in recent years, Eden Park would be as good a venue for him to debut as any in the country.

nzfan

stop bowling medium pace to clarkson, put yourself on macewell. you do all the time anyway.:ph34r:
He only snatches overs and runs from young guns lol

Seriously he should be bowling with Worker at the crease and I feel Clarkson is not as good a batter vs spin.

nzfan

Sears... again when you want a wicket. Firebirds aren't feeling the loss of Neesham and Ravindra. That's pretty good considering both bat in the top order and also bowl very tidy overs.

Great to see considering how we sucked for a lot of years not having good bench strength.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah tbh I've never seen kugz taking enough poles or score runs in t20s....big fan of his but he isn't suited to the shorter format game.
he's just not better than good in any format imo. he's averaged about 28 with the red ball in the past few years for northern, which paired with his lower order batting makes him a lock for northern but you're not black caps material with that. only gets picked because he hits the 140s regularly.

James

Cricket Web Owner
With all the talk about Guptill's poor form and opportunities at the top of the order, I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk on Worker. Been one of the batsmen of the tournament and has previous international experience where he didn't do much wrong.

Any particular reason for that? Age?

EDIT - and he gets out as I type this.