• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2018 World Test XI

Flem274*

123/5
lol at people leaving out watling for paine and the shriek

watlings glovework has been very good and his batting played a big role in the uae

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This thread is a great example that if you don't play for one of the Big 3 teams, it doesn't matter if you're the best player in the world, you will be forgotten when these end of year discussions take place. Back in 2016-17, Azhar was by far the best opener in the world but people couldn't see beyond Cook and Warner. This year Yasir averages 22 to Lyon's 31 including an 8fer but no one watched those matches, the media coverage is not the same and by the end of the year, people forget you exist.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This thread is a great example that if you don't play for one of the Big 3 teams, it doesn't matter if you're the best player in the world, you will be forgotten when these end of year discussions take place.
Karunaratne, Williamson, Nichols, Rabada, Abbas and Holder are making almost everyone's teams here.

Williamson and Nichols played the same series Yasir did and they've been getting mentioned. So I don't think the big 3 thing is true at all atleast for CW.

Last edited:

morgieb

watlings glovework has been very good and his batting played a big role in the uae
I’d say Paine’s glovework has also been pretty top-notch and he’s made valuable runs too, it’s just Australia haven’t won much this year so the overall influence isn’t as good as it might otherwise have been. Along with Cummins he was really the only Aussie to consistently perform in that South Africa series...

Mushy shouldn’t be selected ahead of Paine/Watling though. Has only scored runs in the one innings.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Karunaratne, Williamson, Nichols, Rabada, Abbas and Holder are making almost everyone's teams here.

Williamson and Nichols played the same series Yasir did and they've been getting mentioned. So I don't think the big 3 thing is true at all atleast for CW.
Yeah, ignore BW and the massive chip on his shoulder.

Daemon

This thread is a great example that if you don't play for one of the Big 3 teams, it doesn't matter if you're the best player in the world, you will be forgotten when these end of year discussions take place. Back in 2016-17, Azhar was by far the best opener in the world but people couldn't see beyond Cook and Warner. This year Yasir averages 22 to Lyon's 31 including an 8fer but no one watched those matches, the media coverage is not the same and by the end of the year, people forget you exist.
I swear like every third post of yours is about this

trundler

I'm loving the Karunaratne/Abbas love in this thread ftr. Both have been low key ****ing awesome.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Paine has also been very good with the gloves and bat this year. And he's made key runs in the UAE draw and the win against India. Unless a country has dug up a new Gilchrist you'll struggle you find a keeper who has had a better year.

And that's not even talking into account his leadership.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Something I found interesting when I looked at the stats was that the only player who scored more centuries this year than Mominul was Kohli. Granted all four of his tons were at home, two were in the same game on a complete road and one was against Zimbabwe, but still.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't looked at his record (Xmas day cbf) but Gabriel must have had a pretty good year? Also Ishant maybe?

Bijed

International Regular
Haven't looked at his record (Xmas day cbf) but Gabriel must have had a pretty good year? Also Ishant maybe?
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

Yeah, they've both had great years, though probably not quite good enough to dispalce the pacers that've been picked already in this thread (allowing for conditions and quality of opposition).

Southee's had a pretty gun year too, if limited in the nubmer of wickets taken by NZ's schedule (and not always getting picked anyway for whatever reason).

Kinda want to go for Taijul over Lyon as the latter was pretty poor in SA and his recent good performances are probably sticking in people's minds more right now, but then again Taijul (from memory) had one fantastic game against WI and has been ok at best aside from that. Moeen's bowling has been fairly great since his recall too, but I can't discount his terrible start to the year just because I like him.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My updated team:

1 Usman KHAWAJA
2 Dimuth KARUNARATNE
3 Kane WILLIAMSON
4 Virat KOHLI
5 AB DE VILLIERS
6 Shakib AL HASAN
7 Shane DOWRICH
8 Jason HOLDER
9 Kagiso RABADA
10 Yasir SHAH
11 Mohammad ABBAS

morgieb

Shakib only played 4 Tests and averages 30 with the bat, unless you really needed a batting all-rounder I don't get his selection.