• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 National Provincial Championship (ITM Cup)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vimes 6
Brumbers 5
Heef 5
Cane 4
[Somerset 4]

The Only Vimes that Bites - 24
Brumbers - 23
Big Chief - 21
Epic Fail - 20
Taunton - 19

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks for the default tips Heath - not too far behind and given the unpredictability of the tournament this year I'd say its still anyone's tipping competition to win.

Taranaki
Canterbury
Wellington

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Pet peeves: backs who stand in offside positions looking for an intercept. I realise that you want an intercept but that doesn't allow you to stand in the middle of the oppositions back line. The centres all rush up and stand right beside their opposite number before the ball has gotten there.
I thought the point of introducing "assistant referees" was for them to have a greater say on breaches of the offside rule, amongst others - clearly isn't working since its rarely policed properly.

And why does the referee allow it - or why does the referee allow some prop who is retreating from an earlier play to intercept a pass when he is in the middle of the oppositions back line.

"But I was retreating" It is a stupid rule. Clean up the off side play in rugby.
Most referees would correctly penalise a player in that instance if a ruck's formed and hes still getting back onside.

Also while I am bleating about the rules if you are tackled - why are you allowed to roll on to your back and to pop pass the ball to a follow up player. If you are tackled you should have to release the ball and not be able to pass it.
Theres certainly some leniancy applied to this, but you're allowed to pass the ball from the ground if tackled, if done so immediately. Seen a few examples where "immediately" is pushing the limits so I see your point.
Another post - I am fed up with people kicking away possession from their own 22 or just outside it - to the zone of the field between their 22 and half way. Typically the kick might be a box kick or a pop kick or a little grubber. These kicks give great field position to the opposition and often result in tries. Belt the thing down field or run it and keep possession should be your options.
Be interesting to know the percentage of "regathered kicks" in ITM Cup rugby this year, as I can't imagine it'll be particularly high (unless you're facing Wellington, in which case you can rely on the backline dropping every second high ball). I'm not sure if its a tendency to keep the ball in play even when players can look for the sanctuary of the touchline, to try and keep the game flowing which works into their strategy, or because the opposition has a superior lineout and your side is unlikely to get the ball back, or because the opposition would take a quick throw from the kick anyway - so I guess it all depends on the situation, though again I do see the intent of your point.

HeathDavisSpeed

Thanks for the default tips Heath - not too far behind and given the unpredictability of the tournament this year I'd say its still anyone's tipping competition to win.
I see you've largely been doing your Superbru picks, so feel free to post those and recalculate as I'm happy to give you a different point total (either more or less) if you'd rather use Superbru.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I see you've largely been doing your Superbru picks, so feel free to post those and recalculate as I'm happy to give you a different point total (either more or less) if you'd rather use Superbru.
I don't imagine it'll make a huge difference as my Superbru form has been rather dire for the past few rounds, so I'll just run with the points you've given me.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Good to have you back Somerset - appreciate your responses as always!

I read a wonderful article in the Dom Post on saturday - it said that the short kicking game from inside your own 22 was a deliberate tactic this year from the ABs at least so it is possible the provincial teams MAY be following suit. The theory is that the kick return from the back three has really improved so it isn't as much of an option to just belt it long as it used to be so teams are trying these short kicks.

Anyway interesting to me - if I was a coach I would stick with kicking it long.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to have you back Somerset - appreciate your responses as always!

I read a wonderful article in the Dom Post on saturday - it said that the short kicking game from inside your own 22 was a deliberate tactic this year from the ABs at least so it is possible the provincial teams MAY be following suit. The theory is that the kick return from the back three has really improved so it isn't as much of an option to just belt it long as it used to be so teams are trying these short kicks.

Anyway interesting to me - if I was a coach I would stick with kicking it long.
Thanks, nice to be back. :)

I guess its down to the ABs have enough skill, not to mention one of the best kickers in world rugby, to execute a short kicking game well. With due respect to the flyhalfs in the ITM Cup and the overall skill level of some teams (cough North Harbour cough) its a bit hard to justify a similar strategy.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Auckland v Counties Manukau
Auckland by 8
Taranaki v Tasman
Taranaki by 15
Southland v North Harbour
Southland by 8
Bay of Plenty v Hawke's Bay
Hawke's Bay by 7
Wellington v Manawatu
Wellington by 8
Canterbury v Northland
Canterbury by 7
Waikato v Otago
Waikato by 7

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Taranaki v Tasman
Wellington v Manawatu
Canterbury v Northland
Waikato v Otago

HeathDavisSpeed

Somerset 2
Hurricane 2
Vimes 2
Heath 2
Brumbers 1

The Only Vimes that Bites - 26
Brumbers - 24
Big Chief - 23
Epic Fail - 22
Taunton - 21

Well, I was the only one who tipped Waikato... Shame I backed BoP...

HeathDavisSpeed

Taranaki v Tasman
Wellington v Manawatu
Canterbury v Northland
Waikato v Otago

I'm going with this too.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Auckland
Taranaki
Southland
Hawke's Bay
Wellington
Canterbury
Waikato

As above, with the exception of HB over BOP.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Taranaki v Tasman
Wellington v Manawatu
Canterbury v Northland
Waikato v Otago

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Tasman v Auckland