• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2010/11 Ashes XI

Jacknife

International Captain
Strauss *
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Hussey
Bell
Prior †
Swann
Siddle
Tremlett
Anderson
Yes ,that would be my side, the only thing you could add to this England side, is Hussey and probably Siddle, but to be fair to Bresnan, if we go on what we've seen from him, I'd be happy to have him in there, instead of Siddle. I would defo have Prior over Haddin and Johnson wouldn't be within a million miles of my side.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strauss was captain. Every side needs a captain, literally has to, and we have to judge on who played better this series, not who might have done okay.

Picking a composite XI without a captain is like picking one without a keeper.
Pick your best XI and then pick the captain tbh.

Well, IMO anyways.

Burgey

To what extent to good bowling units really need a 5th bowler?
Australia would have liked one in 05. England had one in 05.

I dare say SA would have liked one last night, but Kallis was injured.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Pick your best XI and then pick the captain tbh.

Well, IMO anyways.
Maybe if you picking "The XI that should have played", or something.

Except we're judging on performances with the series, so it's not just a hypothetical XI. You can't make, say, Alistair Cook captain the XI based on this series performance - because he didn't perform as a captain.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Australia would have liked one in 05. England had one in 05.

I dare say SA would have liked one last night, but Kallis was injured.
I did say "good bowling units". You didn't really need one in 2006/07 did you?

The current South Africa side aren't a good bowling unit.

Zinzan

In the final wash;

1. Cook
2. Strauss (c)
3. Trott
4. Pietersen
5. Hussey
6. Bell
7. Haddin
8. Swann
9. Bresnan
10. Tremlett
11. Anderson

12th Man: Siddle

Could have gone either way on Prior vs Haddin tbh, but felt sorry about the lack of Crims in the side.