• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**2007 World Cup**

Beleg

International Regular
Hmm, three of these losses were against Australia. But I suppose I was a bit hasty with my claim. Still, I doubt India and Sri Lanka have fared much better.

Natman20

International Debutant
There has been a lot of changes in rankings which has seen South Africa come up in rankings and New Zealand drop quickly. After England has beaten Australia in some ODI matches as have Bangladesh in one match. It will be interesting to hear thoughts people have on the world cup now.

Natman20

International Debutant
Are there still no thoughts about the World Cup?

The rankings dramatically changed after the pools were decided so it should be interesting.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well at this stage my top 3 teams would be Australia, Pakistan & South Africa. With England & New Zealand not too far off. If i were to look ahead i would think the sqauds for 5 major WC contenders would look like thsi:

AUSTRALIA 15-MAN SQAUD:
Ponting, Gilchrist, Haddin, Katich or Jaques, Martyn, Symonds, Clarke, Hussey, Watson, Hopes, Hogg, Lee, McGrath, Bracken, Gillespie or Tait.

PAKISTAN 15-MAN SQUAD:
Inzamam, Akmal, Butt, Younis, Mohammad Yousuf, Faisal, Malik, Afridi, Razzaq, Arafat, Shoaib, Naved, Asif, Sami or Gul, Arshad or Saqlain.

SOUTH AFRICAN 15-MAN SQUAD:
Smith, Boucher, Dippenaar, Gibbs, Kallis, Prince, Rudolph, Kemp, Pollock, Hall, Ntini, Nel, Langeveldt, Van der Wath, Boje or Botha.

ENGLAND 15-MAN SQUAD:
Vaughan, G Jones, Prior, Trescothick, Strauss, Pietersen, Flintoff, Collingwood, Bell, Blackwell, Giles, Plunkett, Harmison, S Jones, Anderson.

NEW ZEALAND 15-MAN SQUAD:
Fleming, McCullum, Vincent, Astle, How, Fulton, Marshall, Styris, Oram, Vettori, Patel, Bond, Adams, Franklyn, Mills.

TIF

U19 Debutant
And for India, it will look like this -

Sehwag
Gambhir/ Dhawan
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Yuvraj
Kaif/ Raina
Dhoni
Pravin Kumar
Pathan
Harbhajan
Murali Kartik/ Piyush Chawla
Zaheer
RP Singh
Munaf Patel/ Sree Santh

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If India go with players like Ganguly, Tendulkar, Laxman, Raina, Santh, Agarkar, Kumble, Zaheer, Harbhajan then I am sure we will end up in the bottom half. There is no way we will be able to compete with Pak, SA, Australia, England and NZ.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
If India go with players like Ganguly, Tendulkar, Laxman, Raina, Santh, Agarkar, Kumble, Zaheer, Harbhajan then I am sure we will end up in the bottom half. There is no way we will be able to compete with Pak, SA, Australia, England and NZ.
very true, although out of that group i would think Ganguly, Tendulkar, Agarkar, Zaheer & Harbhajan should go to the WC.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
the good thing about the WC cup is that in the super eight stage all the top teams should be in their, thus making it an absolute battle for semi-final places. For me if Australia were to get through that and win again i woulf rank it highger than their 2 previous triumphs.

Natman20

International Debutant
Pool 1: St Kitts Australia, South Africa, Holland, Scotland
Pool 2: Trinidad Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Bermuda
Pool 3: St Lucia New Zealand, England, Kenya, Canada
Pool 4: Jamaica West Indies, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Ireland

A very interesting Pool 1 now with the rise of South Africa. Pool 2 should be in favour of India I think. Pool 3 NZ easily I think. Pool 4 Pakistan easily. Thats my thoughts at moment.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NEW ZEALAND 15-MAN SQUAD:
Fleming, McCullum, Vincent, Astle, How, Fulton, Marshall, Styris, Oram, Vettori, Patel, Bond, Adams, Franklyn, Mills.
Thats probably on the money. I think that Patel & Harris will be fighting it out for the remaining spot, or perhaps Harris & Franklin.
Jesse Ryder was being suggested as a surprise selection not so long ago, but I think his former NZ U19 team-mate Ross Taylor is starting to push his credentials..and he could be a bolter ahead of Astle. But it's unlikely I think.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
Thats probably on the money. I think that Patel & Harris will be fighting it out for the remaining spot, or perhaps Harris & Franklin.
Jesse Ryder was being suggested as a surprise selection not so long ago, but I think his former NZ U19 team-mate Ross Taylor is starting to push his credentials..and he could be a bolter ahead of Astle. But it's unlikely I think.
didn't realis Harris was still playing cricket, thought he was finished well if so he could well and go but that will depend on domestic performances i would think. But i have seen a fair deal of your side of late and i reckon thats probably the best 15 that you could take...

Autobahn

State 12th Man
I predict that pinch-hitters and big-hitters will play a much bigger part in this world cup, many WI grounds are simply built for batsmen despite the slow and low wickets with fast outfields and short boundaries.

If the ICC keeps the powerplay rule in expect some very big scores.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
very true, although out of that group i would think Ganguly, Tendulkar, Agarkar, Zaheer & Harbhajan should go to the WC.
I know..and that's I predict that India wont be in the final four.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stepping out on a limb, my Windies side:

Ramnaresh Sarwan (C)
Denesh Ramdin (wk) (vc)
Brian Lara
Shiv Chanderpaul
Chris Gayle
Daren Ganga
Dwayne Smith
Runako Morton
Dwayne Bravo
Ian Bradshaw
Corey Collymore
Richard Kelly
Fidel Edwards
Omari Banks
Deighton Butler - or Reyad Emrit :p

Collins will be injured and miss the tournament.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Ramnaresh Sarwan (C)
Denesh Ramdin (wk) (vc)
Brian Lara
Shiv Chanderpaul
Chris Gayle
Daren Ganga
Dwayne Smith
Runako Morton
Dwayne Bravo
Ian Bradshaw
Corey Collymore
Richard Kelly
Fidel Edwards
Omari Banks

wouldn't Wavel hinds, Samuels, Powell or Ryan Hinds be better options than Ganga?. Also for WI sake you should hope Collins if fit haven't seen kelly so cant comment, but Butler didn't look too great in SRI what about Darren Powell. With the spinner it depends on how Lewis goes in the coming year he & banks will battle it out.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Ramnaresh Sarwan (C)
Denesh Ramdin (wk) (vc)
Brian Lara
Shiv Chanderpaul
Chris Gayle
Daren Ganga
Dwayne Smith
Runako Morton
Dwayne Bravo
Ian Bradshaw
Corey Collymore
Richard Kelly
Fidel Edwards
Omari Banks

Would have Marlon Samuels or Devon Smith in place of Ganga. otherwise looks fine.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
wouldn't Wavel hinds, Samuels, Powell or Ryan Hinds be better options than Ganga?. Also for WI sake you should hope Collins if fit haven't seen kelly so cant comment, but Butler didn't look too great in SRI what about Darren Powell. With the spinner it depends on how Lewis goes in the coming year he & banks will battle it out.
I considered that. Powell, no. Wavell Hinds, close, but I somehow don't envision him in the World Cup squad. I just have a hunch that Ganga will be in the squad, though I'd love to see Ryan Hinds there. Hey, Hinds may even get the spinner's role.

Daren Powell is not in the immediate ODI plans for WI. He's heading home after the NZ Tests mefinks. That suggests to me that he's not one they're looking at for the WC. Butler bowled well in Sri Lanka - economy of 3.75 and 3 wickets in 3 matches. That's not too bad at all.

EDIT: Re: Marlon Samuels, I almost put him in ahead of Banks as the spinner in the squad. I think he may be in the squad next year, but I'm not sure who for. I'd love to see him there ahead of Smith, but that's not likely.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

ramkumar_gr said:
Would have Marlon Samuels or Devon Smith in place of Ganga. otherwise looks fine.
The West Indies selectors don't seem to be very fond of Devon Smith in ODIs. Ganga is as good of an OD batsman as Marlon Samuels IMO. Ganga scored 88 runs from his first 10 ODI innings. Since then, 8 of his last 18 ODI innings have been half-centuries.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
EDIT: Re: Marlon Samuels, I almost put him in ahead of Banks as the spinner in the squad. I think he may be in the squad next year, but I'm not sure who for. I'd love to see him there ahead of Smith, but that's not likely.
nah Smith seems made for OD cricket WI would be wrong not to pick him, he can give you some overs of lively medim-pace & is superb in the field.