• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whats Carey like in the longer form?
Well until the world cup we thought he was a poor batsman full stop.

Definitely prefer Paine behind the stumps. Wade can be backup keeper. He's a better keeper than Boonie who was backup keeper for years.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whats Carey like in the longer form?
Pretty average based on his fc record, but tbf he took it to another level at the WC. I reckon he’s going to turn into a very good long form player after the boost he’s just got, it his keeping, particularly up to the stumps, needs a fair bit of work imo.

howardj

International Coach
One week to go

So excited

There's nothing more sacred in sport than the Ashes - first day of the first Test

Burgey

I’m sorry hj, but as salient as your point my be and even though it’s in a thread devoted to its very subject matter, you’ve said it before a number of times and I’m afraid repetitive posting is against forum rules.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty average based on his fc record, but tbf he took it to another level at the WC. I reckon he’s going to turn into a very good long form player after the boost he’s just got, it his keeping, particularly up to the stumps, needs a fair bit of work imo.
His keeping to spin is proper rubbish though

Daemon

I’m sorry hj, but as salient as your point my be and even though it’s in a thread devoted to its very subject matter, you’ve said it before a number of times and I’m afraid repetitive posting is against forum rules.
haha did you get infracted for this recently

Shri

Mr. Glass
Discussion surrounding the first Ashes Test at Edgbaston, Hole de Merde
Start time : 11.00 am UKDST (8pm Australian EST)

It's about that time, with only a week or so until the game.
opens threads about ashes in england but chooses the pool when it's actually in his backyard because it's too hot

and he calls himself a border fan

Burgey

I literally have no ****ing idea what you’re on about here mate

Went to the pool at Allianz Stadium in the lunch break

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Roy is in now if he wasn't already. I don't mind him. Probably the best he's got is a run a ball 70 without ever looking like he's in. Still better than anything else out there.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Archer playing for Sussex tomorrow in a t20, so should be fine for first test.

Possibly means Curran, Broad, and Woakes will compete for the last fast bowling position.

I doubt they change the top 3 however unconvincing, Buttler and Stokes come in, and they'll pick one spinner (mo or leach).

Burns, Roy, Denly, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, Ali, Archer, Broad, Anderson is my best guess. Although lose against Ireland and they may get fidgety.

Shri

Mr. Glass
anderson's got a calf injury

wouldn't be surprised if he is not risked for the first test

Bijed

International Regular

Possibly means Curran, Broad, and Woakes will compete for the last fast bowling position.

I doubt they change the top 3 however unconvincing, Buttler and Stokes come in, and they'll pick one spinner (mo or leach).

Burns, Roy, Denly, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, Ali, Archer, Broad, Anderson is my best guess. Although lose against Ireland and they may get fidgety.
Reckon Burns is finished and they might just throw Sibley in. Although I can't quite convince myself that Keaton Jennings isn't coming back...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

It would be a brave call to leave out Woakes on home territory, especially after he bowled so well there in the WC semi-final. Maybe tomorrow will determine who gets the nod.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The BBC website has one of their interactive choose your team for the First Test things running and among the opening bat options is Alastair Cook.

Burgey

The BBC website has one of their interactive choose your team for the First Test things running and among the opening bat options is Alastair Cook.
From an Australian perspective, of the available choices on that site, I would run with Simpson and Lawry.