• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test at Brisbane, 8th-12th of December 2021

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The WTC table says 7 penalty overs. They were 14 overs short on day 2 but there were plenty of delays, so that seems about right, htogh they might have made some time up on day 3. It was catastrophically bad, especially when you remember that although a day is 'technically' 6 hours there's a free extra half hour. They bowled only 12 overs an hour on day 2.
And that justifies 5 WTC points? I think that's ****ed

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Still stand by my belief that England's batting isn't really inferior to Australia's. The problem is that England's bowlers are not much chop in Aussie conditions. The pink bowl tests will narrow hopefully the gap between the two bowling attacks.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The WTC table says 7 penalty overs. They were 14 overs short on day 2 but there were plenty of delays, so that seems about right, htogh they might have made some time up on day 3. It was catastrophically bad, especially when you remember that although a day is 'technically' 6 hours there's a free extra half hour. They bowled only 12 overs an hour on day 2.
Lol and people still think the ‘WTC’ is real.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
England have sort of put themselves in a difficult position with Stokes because he's clearly out of nick but if they drop him at this stage it means you're denying him a chance to turn it around in the middle. Is there a Lions match he can play and then come back for Boxing Day?

I like the idea of Bairstow opening just to try something attacking as he can't be any worse than Burns. He can hit Starc off his lines early. The XI I would go with would be:

Haseeb
Bairstow
Malan
Root
Pope
Lawrence/Stokes
Buttler
Broad
Robinson
Wood
Anderson

I still think there is some reason for optimism for England with two of the remaining four games taking place on pitches that won't be so favourable to Australia. Robinson will be a handful to face in Adelaide.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Is Billings even in the squad? Strewth. Fair play about Vince, although I don't know when he last opened. At least he might be able to catch a ball
Both Vince & Billings are playing BBL I guess.. Won't be a bad move to swap a couple of places with these guys.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean it makes a high farce of the format when "bowling your overs on time" is given basically the same weight as drawing a game.
There was at least one County Championship in the late sixties IIRC that was decided due to points penalties for slow over rates. They were expected to bowl 18.5 an hour, compared to 13.9 in tests today.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What on earth is happening on these last few pages?

Billings playing? Bairstow opening? Go and have a lie down.
I expect Bairstow to play at some point because they seem unable to realise he's crap in tests. No way should he brought in though. Whoever suggested Billings desperately needs mental help.

ashley bach

International Captain
The concurrent A game is interesting. Englishmen getting out to Neser short balls, allowing Marsh to hit 27 ball 60 with 7 sixes, Street hitting a century.

This tour is so over.
If the backup unit is blitzed all over the park in lower grades, artillery backup looks meek at best.
At the end of the long hot summer, the English could well be left with their tongues hanging out here.

ashley bach

International Captain
i think they’ll bin Leach - they have to. Play the two bench warmers, Robinson and Wood. Long tail though. That might get Woakes a gig over one of the others. Otherwise play three seamer plus stokes as four man attack with Root bowling some spin and an extra batsman. Dunno if Stokes is up to that work load though tbf to him (which no one should, he’s a violent thug)
Playing Leach feels crazy, why waste any of Mickey mouses pink ball on spin with a very good pace attack.
If they need a wee break, Joe Roooot can fill in a few handy overs. Leach will surely be back for the SCG and maybe MCG
Now he'll play, take 7 wickets and I'll eat my hat.

Gob

International Coach
Still stand by my belief that England's batting isn't really inferior to Australia's. The problem is that England's bowlers are not much chop in Aussie conditions. The pink bowl tests will narrow hopefully the gap between the two bowling attacks.
One world class batsman against 3. Yes not inferior at all lol