• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test at Brisbane, 8th-12th of December 2021

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
I expect Bairstow to play at some point because they seem unable to realise he's crap in tests. No way should he brought in though. Whoever suggested Billings desperately needs mental help.
Lol Billings can do something like what Head did as well. He is good player of spin. Not like he is batting in English conditions with duke ball swinging around. He is capable enough to outbat Bairstow or Pope here.

tony p

First Class Debutant
There was at least one County Championship in the late sixties IIRC that was decided due to points penalties for slow over rates. They were expected to bowl 18.5 an hour, compared to 13.9 in tests today.
There was a famous match in 1967 in late August when Yorkshire captain Brian Close did delaying tactics against Warw at Edgbaston. I think the points system was more favourable for a draw.
Yorkshire ONLY bowled 24 overs in the last 1 Hr & 40 min (the target that was set being 142). Close almost lost the England Captaincy because of it.
The last 15 minutes they bowled just 2 overs, one from Trueman containing two no-balls & three bouncers. LOL
Warwickshire ended up 9 runs short of victory.

sunilz

International Regular
General question:
Do players get angry or sad if their match fees are deducted? For eg. England players have been fined approx 20000 USD for this match. Would it hurt them ?

ashley bach

International Captain
General question:
Do players get angry or sad if their match fees are deducted? For eg. England players have been fined approx 20000 USD for this match. Would it hurt them ?
Surely they're only a tad annoyed, they'll still eat the same food tomorrow, and their lifestyle won't change.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
One world class batsman against 3. Yes not inferior at all lol
Warner > burns
Harris < hameed
Labu > malan
Smith = root
Head = stokes
Green =pope
Carey < Buttler

not much between the sides. Australia’s batting isn’t as good as a lot of their supporters think it is.
And yes I think in their current form root more than matches up with smith.

Spark

Global Moderator
Warner > burns
Harris < hameed
Labu > malan
Smith = root
Head = stokes
Green =pope
Carey < Buttler

not much between the sides. Australia’s batting isn’t as good as a lot of their supporters think it is.
I mean some of these >'s are a lot bigger than others.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol as though any Aus supporter with any knowledge of the game thinks their batting is top shelf. Pure salamuddin standard dross.

the problem for England in this series is their so called l ATG bowlers who are fronting up are only as good as the blokes Aus are rolling out, who barely make the top 20 Aus quicks of all time and that doesn’t include what passes for the two sides’ spinning options.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I mean some of these >'s are a lot bigger than others.
Ok so Buttler is only a little better than Carey and labu and Warner are decidedly better than malan and Rory.

but hameed is far more talented than Harris and root is in better form than smith.
Validates my point there isn’t much between the batting.

Gob

International Coach
Ok so Buttler is only a little better than Carey and labu and Warner are decidedly better than malan and Rory.

but hameed is far more talented than Harris and root is in better form than smith.
Validates my point there isn’t much between the batting.
Hameed looked average at best. Yeah maybe better than Harris (who isn't) but neither going to make any meaningful contribution. Same with Butler. No one's suggesting Aus has great batting line up but they are comfortably better than this lot.

ashley bach

International Captain
Warner > burns
Harris < hameed
Labu > malan
Smith = root
Head = stokes
Green =pope
Carey < Buttler

How on earth does Smith=Root?
In cricketing terms, Smiths average is miles and miles above Roots.
To make it worse for Joey, Steve's at home.
Head also well ahead of Stokes.

ashley bach

International Captain
I'm very happy Australia won that. Overnight, Root had me in a state of woe, thinking he and Malan were going to set Australia a target they would collapse in chasing.
You need to relax a little more. Even at stumps England winning was a far fetched story.
Save the stress for when England actually really do get on top.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I was wondering how close Root is to being the England player who has lost the most tests against Australia. Then I remembered Atherton and Stewart. But Root must be getting close now. Maybe around Gooch's level.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There was a famous match in 1967 in late August when Yorkshire captain Brian Close did delaying tactics against Warw at Edgbaston. I think the points system was more favourable for a draw.
Yorkshire ONLY bowled 24 overs in the last 1 Hr & 40 min (the target that was set being 142). Close almost lost the England Captaincy because of it.
The last 15 minutes they bowled just 2 overs, one from Trueman containing two no-balls & three bouncers. LOL
Warwickshire ended up 9 runs short of victory.
Minor point, but there was no 'almost' about it. Close remained test captain for the final home test of the summer, but was stripped of the captaincy for the winter tour of the WI, being replaced by Cowdrey. Close never led the test team again.

sunilz

International Regular
I was wondering how close Root is to being the England player who has lost the most tests against Australia. Then I remembered Atherton and Stewart. But Root must be getting close now. Maybe around Gooch's level.
Stewart 22
Gooch 18
Root 13

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Stewart 22
Gooch 18
Root 13
Thanks mate. And Atherton must have lost around 20 between 1989 and 2001.
I reckon Root may soon have the record for losing the most tests against Australia as England's captain. Perhaps only Hussain and Cook ahead of him now.

sunilz

International Regular
Thanks mate. And Atherton must have lost around 20 between 1989 and 2001.
I reckon Root may soon have the record for losing the most tests against Australia as England's captain. Perhaps only Hussain and Cook ahead of him now.
Cook, Root 7
Hussain 6
Atherton 9