• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st June - Group A - England v Bangladesh

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't seen Morgan in this kind of form for years. Could be even more important than Root, who it's easy to take for granted.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
joe root the test match player annoys the hell out of me but the odi player goes under the radar. serious serious player in this format.

hitting a century every 8 games.
Can't recall who it was but someone here called Root the weak link in our batting lineup recently...........laughable.

Only got to watch Eng bowl and saw none of the run chase, clearly we did it with some ease but our bowling is still a worry for me.

hazsa19

International Regular
Only got to watch Eng bowl and saw none of the run chase, clearly we did it with some ease but our bowling is still a worry for me.
Yeh. Think we should bat first when given the opportunity. Scoreboard pressure n all that. Pick Rashid too.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Can't recall who it was but someone here called Root the weak link in our batting lineup recently...........laughable.

Baffling not playing Rashid and would play Willey instead of Ball. Willey can be very decent first up. Obviously Rash in for Woakes.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This BD side lacks energy.
This is what happens when your captain plays on life support

i'll venture it's probably something to do with the ball having touched the ground

How did you get this screengrab?

Many people might blame the pitch but the bowling of Bangladesh was pathetic as well
You're the only one who blames..in the 1st innings you blamed English bowlers and now you're blaming Bangladeshi bowlers. There's nothing to blame here. 300 is not an imposing total. BD death over batting is to blame here.

There's nothing to worry there. Conceding 300 is not a disaster that people think it is. In fact, given the position BD were in, England did well in the end to drag them down by at least 30-40 runs.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
When BD scored 300, people were already predicting yet another England defeat..

I was going to comment on this but then I heard Warne, a professional cricket commentator remark at the innings break that 290 was a par score and Bangladesh had scored above par.

This is what happens when casuals become commentators when you still think 300 is an above par total.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched the highlights. I know the pitch was flat etc etc but does Ball have anything going for him as an international bowler? Just seems to serve up half volleys at a decent but unthreatening pace.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
There's nothing to worry there. Conceding 300 is not a disaster that people think it is. In fact, given the position BD were in, England did well in the end to drag them down by at least 30-40 runs.
It wasn't the score Bangladesh put up that concerned me, it was the ease with which Tamin and Rahim especially were able to score their runs.......we never really looked like troubling them.

When I went to bed i was confident enough we'd chase the runs but no disrespect to Bangladesh there are better attacks in this comp that aren't gonna let our batsme cruise to 300+ scores with such ease.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When BD scored 300, people were already predicting yet another England defeat..

I was going to comment on this but then I heard Warne, a professional cricket commentator remark at the innings break that 290 was a par score and Bangladesh had scored above par.

This is what happens when casuals become commentators when you still think 300 is an above par total.
Don't think it was necessarily a sub-par score for the pitch. A team with a better bowling attack probably defends that target.

Even if Bangladesh had done well in the death overs in their inning and got 330,they still lose the way the bowled. Completely toothless and they stupidly held back the one potentially wicket taking bowler they have.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
It wasn't the score Bangladesh put up that concerned me, it was the ease with which Tamin and Rahim especially were able to score their runs.......we never really looked like troubling them.

When I went to bed i was confident enough we'd chase the runs but no disrespect to Bangladesh there are better attacks in this comp that aren't gonna let our batsme cruise to 300+ scores with such ease.
"Good" ODI pitches today have no lateral movement off the pitch. Unless the atmospherics are conducive to swing it seems to be becoming increasingly hard for bowlers to have a significant impact. We did cruise to 300 plus but like most teams we make 300 plus more often than not now.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I still think 300 is a good score... gets chased far more often nowadays, but if you have a decent bowling attack then it is very defendable.

Having said that, England truly cruised this, Root played an exceptional ton. The English batting line-up is truly formidable at the moment. And the Bangladesh bowling is not near good enough to handle it.

Well done England.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think it was necessarily a sub-par score for the pitch. A team with a better bowling attack probably defends that target.

Even if Bangladesh had done well in the death overs in their inning and got 330,they still lose the way the bowled. Completely toothless and they stupidly held back the one potentially wicket taking bowler they have.
Yeah given the ease with which England chased this, it's natural to conclude even 330 would not be enough but I was talking more in terms of score board pressure which can lead to early wickets which can potentially determine the outcome.

Not saying BD would have won making 350, but 350 might have created more pressure on Root/Hales after the early wicket, and then maybe another mistake/run out and you're 30/2 chasing 350.

It might seem like oh just another 40 runs but 305 doesn't mentally worry teams* anymore.

* doesn't apply to the bottom ranked teams.

I still think 300 is a good score... gets chased far more often nowadays, but if you have a decent bowling attack then it is very defendable.
Other than Australia, India and maybe SA, don't see many teams in that category.

Edit:
* doesn't apply to the bottom ranked teams.
My bad. Even bottom ranked teams chase down 300 these days

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/1077949.html

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
That was me, I also mentioned that I expected him to score a lot of runs and that my concern was him going a bit slow in the first innings of the match. Not sure how one chase against the worst bowling side of the tournament proves otherwise?

Burgey

I don't think you can call a bloke who won a WC and took 700 test wickets a "casual". Warne's just a spud, whether he's part-time, full-time or casual.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
casual in terms of a fan, not a statement on Warne the cricketer. I don't think he follows enough cricket to have an informed perspective on today's cricket.

Bloke retired 10 years ago and I know that's not a lot for someone who still remembers Border, but when it comes to LO cricket, 10 years is a different era.

Burgey

I don't think it's his age which determines his lack of insight on this particular matter though. It's interesting how some great players in a given sport don't translate to good analysts. Warne is so self-centred he probably just thinks hed be able to defend a lower total so everyone should. I wis he's just commentate only when spinners are bowling in test matches tbh. When he actually talks about the mechanics of that or when he does those masterclass things he's awesome.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't Warne touted as one of the greatest Captains Aus never had? You would think he had better insight then.