• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1970-1990 v 1990-2010

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
Was just discussing with my friends that if we make the best elevens from 1970-1990 and 1990-2010, who do you guys will win?

I was wondering if we start off with making the teams first and then decide or everyone selects their own starting eleven?
Good suggestion but i do not believe in a static ATG XI. give me any type of pitch info and i can come up with a better XI than your standard 'lets include the statistically greatest men to play cricket' alltime XI.

So, where is your series taking place ?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good suggestion but i do not believe in a static ATG XI. give me any type of pitch info and i can come up with a better XI than your standard 'lets include the statistically greatest men to play cricket' alltime XI.

What if the answer was on the beaches of Caribbean? Hope you have a good response, because THAT would be awesome to watch!!

Spark

Global Moderator

Holy ****, I agree with a Muloghonto post.

Well, the underlying point, anyway.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

In these scenarios, I always assume a good batting pitch where there is swing and bounce early on, reverse swing can be achieved, and decent turn on the fourth and fifth days.

So for me (assuming peak players):

1970-1990
Gavaskar
Greenidge
Richards
Chappell
Border
Imran(+)
Botham
Knott*
Marshall
Lillee
Holding

1990-2010
Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting(+)
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist*
Akram
Waqar
Murali
McGrath

Not gonna cop out with using Dravid as an opener (he wasn't one) so will go against everything I believe and pick Haydos. It's also just way too tempting not to go with an all pace attack for the 70-90 team. Very harsh to leave out any of the two greatest spinners of all time from the 90-10 team, but I reckon I'd rather have great proponents of reverse swing (the Ws) over going in with two spinners.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting and Imran keeping while Gilchrist and Knott captain is innovative tstl

viriya

International Captain
90-00 team walks all over the 70-80 team.
I'm inclined to think the same. I think the 90-00 team is better in every way except maybe slightly in fast bowling. The spinning options (I would have both Murali and Warne in my XI) make it a clear winner imo.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm inclined to think the same. I think the 90-00 team is better in every way except maybe slightly in fast bowling. The spinning options (I would have both Murali and Warne in my XI) make it a clear winner imo.
I think the 90-00 bowling is far superior. McGrath-Wasim-Steyn are pretty much equivalent to Marshall-Hadlee/Imran-Lillee. Warne/Murali walk all over their 70-80 counterparts. The 70-80 bowling bats better than the 90-00 set, but not by much, and Gilchrist more than makes up for it anyway.

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
The 90s bowling lineup is better but not by much. Warne-Murali may be the two greatest spinners to play the game but they were not that much better than the likes of Prasanna and Chandra.

viriya

International Captain
The 90s bowling lineup is better but not by much. Warne-Murali may be the two greatest spinners to play the game but they were not that much better than the likes of Prasanna and Chandra.
If you compare Murali/Warne stats with Chandra/Prasanna's, it's hard to say that Murali/Warne were not far better.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
70-90

Greenidge
Gavaskar
V.Richards
G.Chappell
Miandad
Border
Knott
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Lillee

Anyone thinking this team would be easily beaten is insane. Underwood could replace a quick if needed

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
70-90

Greenidge
Gavaskar
V.Richards
G.Chappell
Miandad
Border
Knott
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Lillee

Anyone thinking this team would be easily beaten is insane. Underwood could replace a quick if needed
I think whatever team one decides to go with, one thing is for sure, it won't defeat the other team easily. It will be a very close match.

Slifer

International Captain
70-90

Greenidge
Gavaskar
V.Richards
G.Chappell
Miandad
Border
Knott
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Lillee

I like this team a lot. The fact that they bat all the way down to number 10 more than makes up for Adam Gilchrist. Also it wouldve been nice to choose a spinner from that era, but simply put, none was really in the class of a Warne or Murali so I think going for an all out pace attack (with Border and Viv turning over their hands when necessary) is a very good idea. Versus a team from the 1990-2010 it would be very very close.

Red

1970-1990

Greenidge
Gavaskar
V.Richards
G.Chappell
Miandad
Border
Knott
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Lillee
12th- Underwood

1990-2010

Smith
Hayden
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Wasim
Ambrose
Murali/Warne
McGrath

Even money for mine. 70-90s openers are slightly better imo. Middle order breaks even. Gilchrist might give you the slightest advantage as a batsman, but not significantly over Knott. Modern team clearly have better spin options, but the combo of Underwood and Knott on a turning track would cause some real dramas if the modern team tried to tailor a deck to suit them. Pace bowling is pretty much on par.

Red

This team'd beat all the pretenders...

1950-70

Len Hutton
Bill Lawry
Rohan Kanhai
Graeme Pollock
Peter May
Garry Sobers
Godfrey Evans
Richie Benaud
Allan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Fred Trueman

Keith Miller

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This team'd beat all the pretenders...

1950-70

Len Hutton
Bill Lawry
Rohan Kanhai
Graeme Pollock
Peter May
Garry Sobers
Godfrey Evans
Richie Benaud
Allan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Fred Trueman

Keith Miller

Compton for Kanhai, Weekes or Harvey for May, give Walcott the gloves (tough on Evans), and Laker for Benaud