• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

18 county system isn't the way forward for English cricket

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Haa allright fellas, ease off the dumb technicalities, move away from wonderaland. You two are seriously telling me its "highly disputable" that ENG have been a poor ODI team since WC 92 & that our OD domestic structure has been poor?.
It's not 'dumb technicalities', it's presenting opinions as facts, which is pretty dangerous and doesn't help your argument.

And no, neither of us have stated that either of those two individual statements are "highly disputable"; it is the link between the two that is.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
How? All it proves is that Alleyne, like many other players, didn't make the most of his talent. That's certainly a shame because I always rated him considerably and wished he'd do more than he did, but he was a selfless player and often put others' interests first.
Well yes. But if we come to conclusion that Alleyne was not one of quality doemstic OD players. It still highlights a problem with our domestic game, given the inept standard - we dont produce enough players capable of producing on the international stage.

Shahid Afridi to name but one has played nearly 300 ODIs doing exactly that. Afridi has demonstrated at both domestic and international level the ability to play the odd incredible innings but only once in 30 or so attempts.
Nah. Afridi although he has been a great frustration throughout his career with the bat especially. At least he has looked international quality & capable of actually doing much more.

Brown on the other hand in the few games he did play for ENG, looked a totally different player in ENG colours, than he was while slamming woeful county attacks. So no comparison really.

Vaughan looked woeful every ODI he played and should in fact never have played ODIs at all because he was clearly not up to the task even at Yorkshire. Anyhow Vaughan was not at that point opening - Solanki was. Vaughan only got pushed up to open in ODIs in 2004 - and duly failed dismally suprise surprise.
Haa, Vaughan did not look woeful in every single ODI he played, come on. In his early days around the ODI team between 2001-2003 before he became captain, nobody really knew what was his best role was since he was batting all over the top 6.

After his success in 2002/03 test, he certainly in the C&B series was showing potential that he could become a decent ODI # 3 or opener IMO. Vaughan unlike Atherton & Cook definately had the shots in this game to be decent enough ODI player for ENG.

Remembering how he batted in that CT 04 semi vs AUS & his last ODI innings the 07 WC, he clearly wasted his ability for some reason. So Vaughan's failures in ODIs for me was more an enigma rather than him not possessing any skills to be decent/good player in the ODI format.

It may have told you that - it told me nothing of the sort. The left-armers exposed him technically, extreme pace did not. There is no reason those small glitches could not have been ironed-out had he been picked 7-8 years before he was.
Come on mayn. You cant seriously tell me the extra pace of Lee didn't expose him just as well just as Bracken. Yea he showed "glimpses" with some innovative shots againts Lee of what he was like at Lancashire, but overall he looked a totally different player at international level - which clearly proved the step up in level of bowling showed him up.

His age is irrelevant since he picked off a very solid 2006 season, which i believe he lead the batting in list A cricket that season. If he was good enough like Nixon he would have stepped up.

Plus he couldn't have been selected 7-8 years earlier, since Trescothick/Knight had the role from for most of that time, come on rich. The earliest he could have been picked was the summer of 03 after Knight retired.

Ealham was miles better than both White and Giles as a ODI bowler. And all of the utter nothing picks in between times. That isn't bias towards Ealham - it's ability to acknowledge basic skill at one-day bowling.
No way in 2002/03 should Ealham have played ahead of White in ODI cricket. Plus even though he was a better bowler than Giles - if ENG had indeed taken that team to the 03 WC - the surfaces helped the spinners - so Giles had to play.

Ealham though should have definately made the 03 WC squad, given that Hoggard was picked.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It's not 'dumb technicalities', it's presenting opinions as facts, which is pretty dangerous and doesn't help your argument.

And no, neither of us have stated that either of those two individual statements are "highly disputable"; it is the link between the two that is.
Well i guaged that opinion of mine by following ODI team progress in all my years of watching cricket, while looking back at how things have gone downhill since WC 92. So what i guess i would ask you then is if you think that link is "highly disputable", what in your opinion is/are the reason/s for ENG being a poor ODI team for more than 15 years now?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Grassroots coaching and the domestic OD game are two completely different considerations. The problem is not the latter but the former.
They aren't different consideration, it is one of the key reasons why we dont produce ODI quality players like other nations. The way ENG perform in under-19 World Cups proves this pretty clear.

Youth players in England really dont have no flair, since they are overcoached to be technically sound - which isn't a good basis in making a player capable of becoming a international quality ODI player. You dont get too many Trescothicks, Freddie & Goughs coming up in youth cricket - but rather Athertons & Frasers. This is why we got to poach foreign talent.

The requirements of OD cricket are not complicated - with bowling, it's as simple as bowl very accurately with good eye and sense for what the batsman is going to try to do. And bat in two styles - be able to smash loose balls when the field's up and make decent balls into bad ones by innovation, and when the field's back be able to work the ball around.
Yes but if you have a domestic structure where players are doing these things at a level way below that of international cricket - you won't get ODI quality players.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To a degree, yes. But of course Afridi's name tends to be used (often unfairly, IMHO) as a byword for crapness and brainlessness on CW and I wouldn't accept that implication about Ali Brown.

Brown is the sort of player whose limited overs average does not do justice to his performance. Which might have something to do with his role in the team - perhaps as a middle order hitter he was always destined to end up with a worse average than, say, an opener who coud average more whilst comtributing less.
Brown never did all that much as a middle-order hitter really - he was much better-served at the top of the order where he could score far more runs and thus benefit the team far more. I've never remotely understood why Brown did not open for Surrey virtually all career.
Brown's FC average is on the face of it much more respectable, but it will be as a limited overs player that he will be primarily remembered.
I think that says more about stereotypes (which are worse in England than anywhere) than Brown TBH. Brown was a much better player in the longer game than the shorter, but the stereotype is that his manner of playing fits the one-day game better than the First-Class one - and there are some easily-spoon-fed titbits (ie, 201 in a 40-over game and 268 in a 50-over one) that could be used to back-up this faulty stereotype.

We will never know how Brown might have fared in Tests if given the chance - we do know (our currently absent friend Kev Goughy will tell you this until the cows come home) that stereotypes and unfair generalisations, which are especially given to English journalists, did indeed see Brown labelled brainless etc. and that, unlike Afridi, this was indeed an unfair tag. And that, unlike Afridi, it inhibited his chances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would you compare him to Sanath Jayasuriya, perhaps, in the sense that his average does not do justice to how much of a legend he is?
Good call Uppercut. Sanath it is.
Sanath Jayasuriya is remembered as a superb ODI opener, which is just what his stats show that he is (IIRR he averages something like 35 at a strike-rate of about 90 opening in ODIs, which is phenomenal, especially over 300 games or so).

He isn't anywhere near so well remembered as a mediocre middle-order batsman, because outstanding players are rightly excused for not being supermen. But again, the stats show clearly for those few who remember him in the early-1990s that he wasn't very good there.

I suspect a similar story is true of Brown. Sadly there's no way to find-out stats from domestic cricket of that nature - to date the only tool for researching domestic stats is a very basic one.

So yes I would compare Brown and Jayasuriya (at least, I think I would) but not in the way you two were thinking.

In the respect that a career average doesn't tell you all that much about a player whose career has been lengthy I'd compare Brown to 99% of cricketers to have played the game over a long time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well yes. But if we come to conclusion that Alleyne was not one of quality doemstic OD players. It still highlights a problem with our domestic game, given the inept standard - we dont produce enough players capable of producing on the international stage.
Nothing to do with the domestic game and everything to do with the fact that English cricketers generally don't learn the neccessary skills before they reach domestic level.
Nah. Afridi although he has been a great frustration throughout his career with the bat especially. At least he has looked international quality & capable of actually doing much more.

Brown on the other hand in the few games he did play for ENG, looked a totally different player in ENG colours, than he was while slamming woeful county attacks. So no comparison really.
Afridi has looked completely inept for the vast majority of his ODI career - no-one has a hope in hell of success batting as he has pretty much throughout the last 7-8 years. Brown is quite obviously a vastly superior batsman to him. Yet he has got countless chances, because his style fits well in the Pakistani mindset; Brown's sits very uncomfortably with the English mindset, so he was never going to get much crack of the whip, and didn't.
Haa, Vaughan did not look woeful in every single ODI he played, come on. In his early days around the ODI team between 2001-2003 before he became captain, nobody really knew what was his best role was since he was batting all over the top 6.

After his success in 2002/03 test, he certainly in the C&B series was showing potential that he could become a decent ODI # 3 or opener IMO. Vaughan unlike Atherton & Cook definately had the shots in this game to be decent enough ODI player for ENG.

Remembering how he batted in that CT 04 semi vs AUS & his last ODI innings the 07 WC, he clearly wasted his ability for some reason. So Vaughan's failures in ODIs for me was more an enigma rather than him not possessing any skills to be decent/good player in the ODI format.
No, I don't accept that and never have. Vaughan was simply never good enough to be a good OD batsman, he did not have the basic skills. And yes, surprise surprise, his record in domestic cricket showed that very clearly. Vaughan was always too reliant on conventional strokes along the ground, he was not an innovator nor an over-the-top hitter. I said in 2000/01 when Vaughan was first picked that he was not a ODI-standard player, I was saying it throughout his career and I was right - he wasn't.

But of course in England Test performances generally mean far more when it comes to selecting for ODIs than domestic cricket.
Come on mayn. You cant seriously tell me the extra pace of Lee didn't expose him just as well just as Bracken. Yea he showed "glimpses" with some innovative shots againts Lee of what he was like at Lancashire, but overall he looked a totally different player at international level - which clearly proved the step up in level of bowling showed him up.
If that had been the judgement passed on every player after their first 5-6 innings' we wouldn't have very many batsmen playing international cricket. There is no way Loye's failures of 2006/07 were conclusive ones.
His age is irrelevant since he picked off a very solid 2006 season, which i believe he lead the batting in list A cricket that season. If he was good enough like Nixon he would have stepped up.
I wasn't saying he was too old in 2006/07, merely that at that age it was going to be immediate success or no success. And a great many players fail to be successful immediately. Most require a second chance. Loye was too old when first selected to be ever going to get more than one.
Plus he couldn't have been selected 7-8 years earlier, since Trescothick/Knight had the role from for most of that time, come on rich. The earliest he could have been picked was the summer of 03 after Knight retired.
I realise that - I said if. I said myself earlier on that the earliest he could've played was the 2003 summer. I was merely saying that had he debuted at a younger age he could've had more time at the top and could have been brought back after sorting his left-armer flaws.
No way in 2002/03 should Ealham have played ahead of White in ODI cricket. Plus even though he was a better bowler than Giles - if ENG had indeed taken that team to the 03 WC - the surfaces helped the spinners - so Giles had to play.

Ealham though should have definately made the 03 WC squad, given that Hoggard was picked.
I don't really care whether surfaces help the spinners, Ealham is, was and always will be still a far better OD bowler than Giles and should always have played instead of him. He was also always better than White, who was a good ODI bowler for only a year 1999/2000-2000. Ealham was also a far better OD bowler than almost all (sometimes absolutely all) in the country between 1992 and 2009, and should have been a fixture in England's team between the 1991/92 and 2007 World Cups.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Timely points from KP indeed.

quote said:
Pietersen said there was too much county cricket being played, with the result that the quality of the game drops. "County cricketers coming into the Test environment, they don't face fast bowling and they don't face quality spinners. The reason they don't face fast bowling is that no fast bowler can come to England and play 18 first-class games, plus 18 one-day games, plus nine one-day games, plus Twenty20. People won't bowl 90 miles an hour [in those circumstances].

"It's a struggle from the start whereas in Australia and South Africa you've got guys who face this kind of bowling all the time. They play only eight first-class games.

"I honestly think that cricket in this country needs to be regionalised and you need to play each match like a Test match, instead of up and down the country, playing every day. It's an horrendous grind, especially if you're nowhere near the lead. If it was eight teams fighting it out for something, it's a lot closer.

Hambledon Harry

Cricket Spectator
The irony of KP talking about people playing too much cricket is almost too much to bear.

He's played one CC match for Hants in 4 years I think.

And at Cardiff he excused his joke sweep by being exhausted having batted for, shock horror, just over 3 hours.. not even 2 sessions.

Still, if someone pays $1m or whatever for 93 runs off 85 balls, who wouldn't take it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is a problem for me.

What do you mean they declined? Why was it a choice in the first place?
Because that's the way English cricket works. There is no executive or executive board that makes decisions and tells the counties "this is the way it will be", the counties govorn themselves via means of the ECB.

TBH I think it's petulant and silly for Durham and Worcestershire to decline to trial the pink ball, but I just don't see why it can't be done in a second XI game, where all the rules are the same it's just less of a sacred standard.

Hambledon Harry

Cricket Spectator
Durham v Worcester, definite champions v definitely relegated.

Durham and Worcester... especially Worcester, bankrupt out of business without ECB handout.

As you say, "petualnt and silly".

Having said that, night tests, IN ENGLAND, is a very silly idea indeed, even if only because the crowds for proper games aren't a problem.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
D'you reckon they're going to be flocking to see Bangladesh next year?

Aside from when substandard sides are involved they're not a problem, but it's good to see the ECB attempting to take the lead in trialling something that could, elsewhere, be useful to improving the productivity of Test cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Because that's the way English cricket works. There is no executive or executive board that makes decisions and tells the counties "this is the way it will be", the counties govorn themselves via means of the ECB..
I realize that - I just think it's ludicrous.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing to do with the domestic game and everything to do with the fact that English cricketers generally don't learn the neccessary skills before they reach domestic level.
Well if the players aren't coming into domestic cricket with the right skills, thus you have a situation like we do have with a group mediocre players playing at a average standard - you have a poor domestic competition. Theirfore it has everything to do with the domestic game.

Afridi has looked completely inept for the vast majority of his ODI career - no-one has a hope in hell of success batting as he has pretty much throughout the last 7-8 years.
I would have to disagree. Around 05/06 when ENG toured PAK i would say Afridi was turning the corner as batsman. Afridi has definately his talent with the bat.

Brown is quite obviously a vastly superior batsman to him. Yet he has got countless chances, because his style fits well in the Pakistani mindset; Brown's sits very uncomfortably with the English mindset, so he was never going to get much crack of the whip, and didn't.
The mindset & style factors are true. But at the same time, i would have to disagree that Brown deserved or could have gotten more chances in the ODI, he just looked a totally different player in ENG colours that he was for surrey

No, I don't accept that and never have. Vaughan was simply never good enough to be a good OD batsman, he did not have the basic skills. And yes, surprise surprise, his record in domestic cricket showed that very clearly. Vaughan was always too reliant on conventional strokes along the ground, he was not an innovator nor an over-the-top hitter. I said in 2000/01 when Vaughan was first picked that he was not a ODI-standard player, I was saying it throughout his career and I was right - he wasn't.

But of course in England Test performances generally mean far more when it comes to selecting for ODIs than domestic cricket.
No he wasn't. Have a look back at the innings vs AUS CT 04, WI WC 07 & WI 04 last ODI. This is where he was different from Atherton & Cook, in that he had the skills & shots to be a good ODI player.

If that had been the judgement passed on every player after their first 5-6 innings' we wouldn't have very many batsmen playing international cricket. There is no way Loye's failures of 2006/07 were conclusive ones.

I wasn't saying he was too old in 2006/07, merely that at that age it was going to be immediate success or no success. And a great many players fail to be successful immediately. Most require a second chance. Loye was too old when first selected to be ever going to get more than one.

I realise that - I said if. I said myself earlier on that the earliest he could've played was the 2003 summer. I was merely saying that had he debuted at a younger age he could've had more time at the top and could have been brought back after sorting his left-armer flaws.
Overall this could have definately occured. But given our domestic game basically didn't have 90mph bowlers anyway. I struggle to believe even if he was picked before 2003, he would have come back stronger given that Ali Brown didn't.

I don't really care whether surfaces help the spinners, Ealham is, was and always will be still a far better OD bowler than Giles and should always have played instead of him.
Haa. Do you not remember the assistance the pitches in SA 03 had on various occassions?. Giles definately had a role to play in the WC especially in that game vs AUS @ P.E. Ealham could have had role in other games though.

He was also always better than White, who was a good ODI bowler for only a year 1999/2000-2000..
I dont know anything about that, i can remember White's last ODI like yesterday he was superb in that game vs AUS @ P.E. You seriously telling me Ealham could have bowled better?. Please. White when he became international quality in 2000 was very solid in ODIs until he retired.

Ealham was also a far better OD bowler than almost all (sometimes absolutely all) in the country between 1992 and 2009, and should have been a fixture in England's team between the 1991/92 and 2007 World Cups.
As i said before no way should he have been in 07 WC. Mascarenhas should have been picked instead. I'm not too ofay with ENGs ODI performances in WC 92 & 96, gut given that ENG got to the final i dont see how Ealham would have made that team better. Not sure about 1996 either. But i defiantely believe based on your past deliberations about Ealham you are strecting it, but i'm a still listen to what you have to say..

chris.hinton

International Captain
English Cricket needs to get rid of the Kolpaks as its seems to be stopping youth developement, i think there should only be a few changes to the systems

1) Bring back the C and G trophy with Minor Counties and Secondxi/Board xi involved that was a good competition dont know why they gor rid

2) Minor Counties and Second xi cricket to combined..... 4 groups with semi finals and finals

3) More A/Lions team games during the English Season

4) Bring back the Sunday league in 50 over Format.... one division this will being the crowds back.

5) Twenty20 to expand in 2 groups of 9 play 16 games during the course of the season with finals day.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well if the players aren't coming into domestic cricket with the right skills, thus you have a situation like we do have with a group mediocre players playing at a average standard - you have a poor domestic competition. Theirfore it has everything to do with the domestic game.
AFAIC, if the problem is with the domestic game then you'd have a case of players with outstanding prowess coming in then failing once they got to county level. But you don't. Young English cricketers just aren't taught well to play - or maybe just don't have a natural aptitude for - the one-day game.
I would have to disagree. Around 05/06 when ENG toured PAK i would say Afridi was turning the corner as batsman. Afridi has definately his talent with the bat.
I'd say he played exactly the same on that tour as any other time since he lost his brain in 2002.
The mindset & style factors are true. But at the same time, i would have to disagree that Brown deserved or could have gotten more chances in the ODI, he just looked a totally different player in ENG colours that he was for surrey
So you can go through all the batsmen who were selected for ODIs in the late-1990s and early-2000s and honestly tell me they were better and merited a chance more than him?

Pull t'other one.

I don't think Brown could've been a ODI-standard batsman myself, frankly. But he was a far-from-outstanding one for Surrey.
No he wasn't. Have a look back at the innings vs AUS CT 04, WI WC 07 & WI 04 last ODI. This is where he was different from Atherton & Cook, in that he had the skills & shots to be a good ODI player.
Atherton and, heck, even Cook have played the odd good ODI innings. But the greater pattern shows clearly to me that none of them had the game to do it very often.
Overall this could have definately occured. But given our domestic game basically didn't have 90mph bowlers anyway. I struggle to believe even if he was picked before 2003, he would have come back stronger given that Ali Brown didn't.
He may have done; he may not have. But there is no way his failure in the tiny chance he got proves anything about anything, except that a fair few players fail having made the step up.
Haa. Do you not remember the assistance the pitches in SA 03 had on various occassions?. Giles definately had a role to play in the WC especially in that game vs AUS @ P.E. Ealham could have had role in other games though.
I remember them well, but Ealham did not require a favourable surface - on anything other than a rank road he was basically unhittable.
I dont know anything about that, i can remember White's last ODI like yesterday he was superb in that game vs AUS @ P.E. You seriously telling me Ealham could have bowled better?. Please. White when he became international quality in 2000 was very solid in ODIs until he retired.
White between 2000/01 and 2002/03 was not a very good ODI bowler. Go look up the figures.
As i said before no way should he have been in 07 WC. Mascarenhas should have been picked instead. I'm not too ofay with ENGs ODI performances in WC 92 & 96, gut given that ENG got to the final i dont see how Ealham would have made that team better. Not sure about 1996 either. But i defiantely believe based on your past deliberations about Ealham you are strecting it, but i'm a still listen to what you have to say..
Ealham couldn't have played in the 1991/92 WC, but he should've been straight in the following summer, or at worst the next one after that. Given that he consistently outperformed virtually everyone else in the country over the next 15 years, however, he should indeed have been a fixture in the team. And given that so many inferiors of his were instead picked and caned to all parts, that firms it up AFAIC.