• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

17th Match - Australia v Pakistan

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
What the hell is Malik doing in this team. He hasn’t contributed much of late. He needs to retire.

Against India, they need to drop Malik, Afridi and Asif for Harris, Imad and Shadab.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A win is a win. Not entirely convincing from Australia but scraping over the line will do.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia was lucky to get away with that as that lineup was completely unbalanced

Need to bite the bullet & get MMarsh in asap plus we’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel with our seamers

Guys like Haze, Siddle, Patto, etc might not be world beaters in short form but I guarantee that they would be more threatening than NCN, Richardson, etc

At the very least, pick Lyon for some variety

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fortunately Pakistan choked their middle order as hard as we did. Also our fielding was much better. Still not a great result, but we've beaten two of the realistic 'danger' teams and with a couple of other easy kills the semis should be comfortably attainable from here.

the big bambino

International Captain
I was pretty confident Aus could win the cup with Warner and Smith returning. To counter balance that who'd of thought we'd go in with such lame bowling options. I don't care what ruse we have to pull to get Haze or Patto into the team. We need one at least desperately. With the options we have now I think Aus should pick Lyon and the Camden comet.

Finch
Warner
Usman
Smith
Maxie
Carey
NCN
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Dorff.

I don't really trust either of Stoinis or Marsh to make runs or bowl economically. Stoinis doesnt have the gears and Marsh has no idea against swing and spin. That makes it a long tail so the batting has to be dependable at the top. So I have Usman in preference to Marsh though its close. The side has power at the top in Warner and Finch. Late order power is a bit skinny and you'd be looking for Carey and NCN to cover if Maxie failed. I realise that isn't a great hedge but thats the sacrifice to strengthen the bowling. Most vulnerable player is NCN for MarshM/Stoinis. I'm going all in for Dorff because - well its desperate. Anyway I think a trio of NCN, Dorff and Lyon looks better than NCN, Stoinis and Zampa.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yes an autopsy by Pakistan would reveal cause of loss as crappy fielding but I think the non selection of Shadab contributed too.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Enjoyable game. Despite all the negativity surrounding the format in the lead up I think it's really working well.

Pakistan played very well in patches but they were so poor in all aspects of the first 35 overs of this match it probably would've been an injustice for them to win overall.

As for Australia, they have enough gun players they should be semi finalists and anything's possible from there. But there's enough weak spots and lack of team cohesion to doubt they can beat England or India when it counts.

The contrast with India's batting effort on Sunday and Oz's last night was stark. With relatively little risk-taking, India amassed 350 with expertise on how to build a ODI innings. In contrast, after an excellent opening stand and a very sloppy opponent, Oz couldn't get close to 350 like they should've and I think that's not down to individual flaws but moreso a lack of planning and purpose. I suspect that will count against them when it really counts.

vcs

Australia's balance just didn't work yesterday. Maxwell and Finch aren't good enough to get in 10 overs between them.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Enjoyable game. Despite all the negativity surrounding the format in the lead up I think it's really working well.

Pakistan played very well in patches but they were so poor in all aspects of the first 35 overs of this match it probably would've been an injustice for them to win overall.

As for Australia, they have enough gun players they should be semi finalists and anything's possible from there. But there's enough weak spots and lack of team cohesion to doubt they can beat England or India when it counts.

The contrast with India's batting effort on Sunday and Oz's last night was stark. With relatively little risk-taking, India amassed 350 with expertise on how to build a ODI innings. In contrast, after an excellent opening stand and a very sloppy opponent, Oz couldn't get close to 350 like they should've and I think that's not down to individual flaws but moreso a lack of planning and purpose. I suspect that will count against them when it really counts.
India have flattered to deceive while setting a target on plenty of occasions. It happens to every team save England these days apparently. With India there is a marked strategy to play the first fifteen overs as if the last ten years of ODI batting evolution never happened. It's a good ploy since we lack real power hitters at the top anyway.

Last edited:

morgieb

Australia's balance just didn't work yesterday. Maxwell and Finch aren't good enough to get in 10 overs between them.
Yeah it's easy to see why Stoinis got as long of a rope as he did, the role he plays is hard to fill. Mitch Marsh has to get picked for the next game.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, bin Stoinis from the squad and go this imo:

1. Finch
2. Warner
3. Marsh
4. Smith
5. Marsh
6. Maxwell
7. Carey
8. Coulter-Nile
9. Starc
10. Cummins
11. Lyon

morgieb

Yeah, bin Stoinis from the squad and go this imo:

1. Finch
2. Warner
3. Marsh
4. Smith
5. Marsh
6. Maxwell
7. Carey
8. Coulter-Nile
9. Starc
10. Cummins
11. Lyon
I'd swap Marsh and Maxwell, but otherwise that would be my XI, yeah. Can't see a place for Khawaja if he's not opening, as a 3 I prefer Darsh.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It doesn't feel that long since the Marsh brothers were both in the side and most people here were bagging the selectors for picking them over Stoinis.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Has Maxwell's bowling fallen away, or has he always been **** but getting away with it?
Has he ever really got away with it? He bowls four overs per game in what has usually been an above average quality attack and averages 47. He manages to not get totally smashed (his economy rate is still pretty high for a middle overs bowler who doesn't have to bowl a full quota, but not atrocious) when Australia take early wickets just because the batsmen usually can't afford to completely go after him, so I guess in that sense he's been "getting away with it" a bit, but largely his bowling has always been **** and accordingly ineffective.

Spark

Global Moderator
It doesn't feel that long since the Marsh brothers were both in the side and most people here were bagging the selectors for picking them over Stoinis.
In ODIs? Only stupid people. Both should have been playing consistently in this team.