• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13 overrated players of the last 20 odd years

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
Unfortunately people who base their opinions after looking at averages @howstat.com :laugh: wont understand why Aravinda is a great batsman.
no i've based my opinions on having watched him play and seeing him score considerably less away from home.

C_C

International Captain
tooextracool said:
no i've based my opinions on having watched him play and seeing him score considerably less away from home.
Your subjective definition of 'good' or 'bad' is irrelevant to the objective benchmark set by statistical analysis.
You miss the point that the overall analysis of a player's standings depend on many factors - away average is one of them. the one who scores higher overall is a better player overall. Simple as that.
Aravinda wasnt a great batsman but he was a very good one and in the 90s, apart from Lara, Tendulkar, Steve Waugh, Ponting, Kallis, Dravid, Thorpe,Inzamam and Flower, he was as good as or at worst, very close to, anyone else.

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
Your subjective definition of 'good' or 'bad' is irrelevant to the objective benchmark set by statistical analysis.
You miss the point that the overall analysis of a player's standings depend on many factors - away average is one of them. the one who scores higher overall is a better player overall. Simple as that.
rubbish, the one who scores higher doesnt always have to be better, and we've seen that plenty of times. you have to score in different conditions against different types of bowlers. someone who has his stats inflated against the poor bowlers does not make him a better player than someone who scores prolifically against the best, simply because one scores more runs at a higher average.

C_C said:
Aravinda wasnt a great batsman but he was a very good one and in the 90s, apart from Lara, Tendulkar, Steve Waugh, Ponting, Kallis, Dravid, Thorpe,Inzamam and Flower, he was as good as or at worst, very close to, anyone else.
which is exactly my point. aravinda is often rated a better player than he actually was, particularly in ODI cricket.

C_C

International Captain
rubbish, the one who scores higher doesnt always have to be better, and we've seen that plenty of times. you have to score in different conditions against different types of bowlers. someone who has his stats inflated against the poor bowlers does not make him a better player than someone who scores prolifically against the best, simply because one scores more runs at a higher average.
And who the hell said it was otherwise ?
I merely pointed out to you that away record is one of the many criterias to look at.
What i meant by scoring is not scoring runs but scoring higher 'marks' in various criterias.
which is exactly my point. aravinda is often rated a better player than he actually was, particularly in ODI cricket.
He was an excellent ODI player IMO.
He wasnt great but he was extremely good.
He had a slow start to his career and didnt do much till the early 90s.

But for the last decade of his career, he averaged 37+ overall and 35+ in the opposition's backyard and was an excellent chaser.
Dont think he was in the Viv-Tendy-Bevo category but he is in tier-3 , after Saurav,Ponting,Lara, etc.

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
And who the hell said it was otherwise ?
I merely pointed out to you that away record is one of the many criterias to look at.
What i meant by scoring is not scoring runs but scoring higher 'marks' in various criterias..
and its a very important criteria, especially when you separate the good players from the great.

C_C said:
He was an excellent ODI player IMO.
He wasnt great but he was extremely good.
He had a slow start to his career and didnt do much till the early 90s.

But for the last decade of his career, he averaged 37+ overall and 35+ in the opposition's backyard and was an excellent chaser.
Dont think he was in the Viv-Tendy-Bevo category but he is in tier-3 , after Saurav,Ponting,Lara, etc.
and almost all his runs came in the subcontinent. he averaged 28 in australia, 18 in england, 27 in SA and 21 in NZ. either way there are far too many people who think of him as a great ODI player when he was infact very ordinary.

C_C

International Captain
and its a very important criteria, especially when you separate the good players from the great.
It is an important criteria but by your same logic, you should think that Tendulkar is way way better than Lara.
It is merely one criteria amongst many and its like an exam really-you can bollox up a criteria and still do well in 3-4 other major ones and make up ground.

and almost all his runs came in the subcontinent. he averaged 28 in australia, 18 in england, 27 in SA and 21 in NZ. either way there are far too many people who think of him as a great ODI player when he was infact very ordinary.
He wasnt ordinary- he was an excellent ODI player and coupled with his excellent strike rate he is in the top 20 ODI batsmen in history of this game - that is a pretty elite crew.

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
It is an important criteria but by your same logic, you should think that Tendulkar is way way better than Lara.
It is merely one criteria amongst many and its like an exam really-you can bollox up a criteria and still do well in 3-4 other major ones and make up ground..
nope a great player generally has a good record in all the categories. as such lara averages 47 away from home,which is pretty good. tendulkar's record in pace bowler friendly conditions however is pathetic, and its where he loses out(and lets not get into this argument again).

C_C said:
He wasnt ordinary- he was an excellent ODI player and coupled with his excellent strike rate he is in the top 20 ODI batsmen in history of this game - that is a pretty elite crew.
no you cant have such poor averages in countries around the world and still be an excellent ODI player. you have to score all over the world or almost all over the world. its glaringly obvious that he was significantly better in the subcontinent and unreliable outside nad it was visible when you watched him play.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
34 times. :D
I did look, and counted 36.

The actual numbers aren't that far from his career average, and they certainly don't suggest he has to have McGrath at one end to be any use.

C_C

International Captain
nope a great player generally has a good record in all the categories. as such lara averages 47 away from home,which is pretty good. tendulkar's record in pace bowler friendly conditions however is pathetic, and its where he loses out(and lets not get into this argument again).
Which is why almost all the pacers rate him as the toughest they've bowled in their lifetimes,dont they ?
Which is why Tendulkar has tons against McGrath in OZ, Donald in RSA, ton at WACA, has a better record in ENG than almost anybody of his generation,scored a ton vs the two Ws has a better record against Ambrose-Walsh in WI than anybody of his generation etc. etc. eh ?

You have no idea then what you speak of if you disregard such blatant statistics and almost every single person who's watched Tendulkar's career ( like I have) credits him as one of the best players of pace in history of the game.

no you cant have such poor averages in countries around the world and still be an excellent ODI player. you have to score all over the world or almost all over the world. its glaringly obvious that he was significantly better in the subcontinent and unreliable outside nad it was visible when you watched him play.
Look. You can average 12.00 all over the place and still be considered the best if you are better than the rest.
As such, you will struggle to find 20 ODI batsmen in history of ODI cricket who's better than Aravinda.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Look. You can average 12.00 all over the place and still be considered the best if you are better than the rest.
As such, you will struggle to find 20 ODI batsmen in history of ODI cricket who's better than Aravinda.
Bevan
Richards
Turner
Abbas
Miandad
Jones
Ponting
Lara
Haynes
Knight
Trescothick
Inzamam
Gilchrist
Fairbrother
Waugh
Cronje
Crowe
Chappell
Tendulkar
Ganguly

C_C

International Captain
Turner does not qualify - he's played 40 ODIs.
Its a bit like saying Charlie Davis is a better batsman than Steve Waugh- utter idiocy.
Fairbrother has a better average overall than Aravinda but a worse average against top nations and a significantly worse strike rate.
Chappell hardly has a decent record against the top bowling attacks of his time and again, he played way too little.

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
Which is why almost all the pacers rate him as the toughest they've bowled in their lifetimes,dont they ?
Which is why Tendulkar has tons against McGrath in OZ, Donald in RSA, ton at WACA, has a better record in ENG than almost anybody of his generation,scored a ton vs the two Ws has a better record against Ambrose-Walsh in WI than anybody of his generation etc. etc. eh ?
which of course proves that the runs hes scored came on bowler friendly wickets doesnt it? i couldnt care less what the bowlers thought of him, because its quite conceivable that after scoring bucket loads of runs against them on flat wickets they were convinced into thinking they had no chance against him.

C_C said:
You have no idea then what you speak of if you disregard such blatant statistics and almost every single person who's watched Tendulkar's career ( like I have) credits him as one of the best players of pace in history of the game.
oh heres the person who tells me that i shouldnt go with the common opinion and find statistics that prove my point.
i've watched a hell of a lot of tendulkar, something that is not unexpected given that ive spent a lot of my life in india, and i've found a pattern of scores on flat wickets under pressure less situations and constant failures on seamer friendly wickets bar the odd exception.

C_C said:
looks like its already been done. you still have failed to provide me with a reason why he was amongst the best, because i dont see why he should be. the overall average or runs scored isnt the be all and end all and seldom do they ever mean anything.

C_C

International Captain
which of course proves that the runs hes scored came on bowler friendly wickets doesnt it? i couldnt care less what the bowlers thought of him, because its quite conceivable that after scoring bucket loads of runs against them on flat wickets they were convinced into thinking they had no chance against him.
I am sorry but YOU dont define what match conditions were pacer friendly and what wernt.
Bowlers and players who've played/commented about the game know far better than you do and Perth/Barbados/etc. dont turn to flat wickets coz Tendy is batting and then back to tough wickets when your favourite batsman is.
You kids need to learn a bit more and watch a player through their careers if you are gonna make statements like that. And dont try to pull a fast one here - i can give you atleast 10 matches where the ball was bouncing/seaming massively and Tendulkar stood up and got counted.

oh heres the person who tells me that i shouldnt go with the common opinion and find statistics that prove my point.
i've watched a hell of a lot of tendulkar, something that is not unexpected given that ive spent a lot of my life in india, and i've found a pattern of scores on flat wickets under pressure less situations and constant failures on seamer friendly wickets bar the odd exception.
Given that you think that Ambrose and McGrath are bigtime seamers of the ball, i dont expect anything else.
Next thing i will hear is that Hick could play fast bowling really well and Miandad was a total top notch player against pace bowling.
And common opinion ? For one, it isnt even remotely common opinion. Try getting out in the real world a bit more and try hearing what the players and commentators say, instead of people like you with issues.
Second, try forming your own opinion - common opinion isnt gospel.
Third, selective statistics can show me to be a better bowler than McGrath if i tried hard enough to prove my point. There is quite a bit of difference between statistical analysis( of which you have no clue of) and data-mining - looking for statistics to suit your argument.

looks like its already been done. you still have failed to provide me with a reason why he was amongst the best, because i dont see why he should be. the overall average or runs scored isnt the be all and end all and seldom do they ever mean anything.
Today 02:43 AM
he is amongst the best because there are very few batsmen who are better than him ( and 20 constitute as very few). You can score 40 in your mid term and still be amongst the best because best means how you do relative to others!
He was no great shakes as an ODI batsman but an excellent batsman overall. Simple as that.

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
Fairbrother has a better average overall than Aravinda but a worse average against top nations and a significantly worse strike rate.
and of course aravindas record is oh so brilliant against the top countries isnt it? considering how much his average is inflated against bangladesh and kenya. and yet he average less than 35.
throw in kallis,martyn,youhana,lamb,robin smith,lehmann,twose, hick,greenidge and several others on that list too.

C_C

International Captain
and of course aravindas record is oh so brilliant against the top countries isnt it? considering how much his average is inflated against bangladesh and kenya. and yet he average less than 35.
Hick was an absolute waste of space and i never said Aravinda's record was excellent against top teams - just that overall he is a better batsman than Fairbrother and his record against top teams is better.

Same with Lamb and Robin smith - your english bias is showing here quite clearly, as none of them are considered anything more than average batsmen.
And twoose ? ffs - i've not even heard many rabid kiwis make that kinda statement.

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
howardj said:
Australia

Geoff Marsh
Matt Hayden
Brett Lee
Mark Waugh
Mike Hussey

Geoff Marsh - mmmmmm maybe, I wouldn't know, he was waaay before my time.

Matthew Hayden - has scored two successive centuries in-a-row, with mountains of pressure on his shoulders. To do that, you aren't 'over-rated'. It's called strong mentalitity and skillful batsmanship. Hope he keeps it up.

Brett Lee - Yes. He's probably the most 'over-rated' of your bunch. Bowls really dodgy at times, but bowls superbly at times aswell, I'd still have him in my team though.

Mark Waugh - *shrugs*. The end of his career wasn't flash. but the rest of it was GREAT.

now Mike Hussey?

How dare you say he's 'over-rated'. How can you judge him already? How many matches has he played for us!?! ONLY A HANDFUL. And in those matches he's done well, look at his average so far...

ODI

avg - 123.50 from 18 matches!
coupled with a strike rate of 94!!!

JESUS, he's like a Bevan, theyre rare and only seem to be playing for australia, with 'cunning batting abilities'; singles 'galor, with only a few 4's, but able to up-the-ante at the end of the innings, and makes sure theres a "n.o." next to his name at the end.

look at hussey's last innings in the super series?

Mike is hardly overrated.... he's under-rated.

Hence his exclusion in the aussie test 12....

david hussey is overrated though ;)

greg

International Debutant
C_C said:
Hick was an absolute waste of space and i never said Aravinda's record was excellent against top teams - just that overall he is a better batsman than Fairbrother and his record against top teams is better.

Same with Lamb and Robin smith - your english bias is showing here quite clearly, as none of them are considered anything more than average batsmen.
And twoose ? ffs - i've not even heard many rabid kiwis make that kinda statement.
Hick was an excellent one day player. Smith was one of the best players of fast bowling in the world.