• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

11 players who made their test debuts in 11 different decades DRAFT thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes another draft.

Simple enough idea really, you have to choose 11 players who made their test debuts across 11 different decades. Which decades you choose and ignore are up to you and you can miss out on 4, as there have been 15 separate decades of test match cricket(including the 1870s and 2010s) though some were obviously dud decades for new talent compared to others.

So there is an element of strategy needed in knowing which decades to attack early and which you don't have to worry til later as they produced ATG a-plenty.

Thinking maybe 12 people sounds good. No Bradman.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah true. Guess us cricket nerds have gotta be self sufficient during such times.

I like this draft concept Mr, the only thing is it sounds like it's gonna be really easy, would you consider making a slight change to the format? What if instead of 15 decades you nominate a 15 year window (eg: 1990 - 2004) where players are allowed to select only one debutant player per year.

Feel free to dismiss this idea, I don't wanna hi-jack the draft or anything.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If you want fewer windows it would be easier to have decades for most, but make 1877-1899 and 1900-1919 big ones.

There were fewer players back then anyway, and 1910s in particular would be a bit of a throwaway due to war and stuff

mr_mister

nah it's fine I was toying with all kinds of things, like having 2000-now and 1877-1899 as one era each, limiting it to 13 eras. So I'm def open to changing it a bit.

However it's not as easy as it looks, a lot of the decades up until the 1920s don't really have a huge pool of debuting talent to choose from IMO, especially the 1910s and 1870s. Hell there's even a huge gap in quality from the best 2-3 players of the 1880s, 1890s and 1900s to the 10th and 11th best, don't ya think?

Last edited:

mr_mister

What if we make it like that Mixed Exp draft that had themed picking rounds(so Round 1 is 1877-1899, Round 2 is 1900-1919, with the picking order being reversed of course) and then we just do decades right up until the 2010s.... and this would make it 12 rounds allowing for a 12th man, which might nullify any unfairness that might arise from some decades being better than others

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Cool, although that kinda removes the element of strategy needed in knowing which decades to attack early etc & makes it all slightly more dependent on draft order. So the themed rounds might not be altogether necessary, if they were removed, the strategy would be restored. But either way, I think the idea is sound bro & I'm in whichever way you decide to run it :)

Howe_zat

Audio File
What if we make it like that Mixed Exp draft that had themed picking rounds(so Round 1 is 1877-1899, Round 2 is 1900-1919, with the picking order being reversed of course) and then we just do decades right up until the 2010s.... and this would make it 12 rounds allowing for a 12th man, which might nullify any unfairness that might arise from some decades being better than others
We did a double size version of this a few years ago - generation draft - it was fun. Splitting it further into decades as you describe would make it substantially different

watson

Banned
Drafts that are the most random tend to be the most fun as they allow for more strategy and manoeuvring. Let people target their own decades I reckon.

mr_mister

alright, how about we make it random for the freedom, but constrict it down to 11 eras for difficulty.

1877-1899
1900-1919(though nobody would pick 1910s anyway)
and 2000-present

20s through to 90s are all just done by decades.