• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

cpr

International Coach
At least Watson wrapped his turd in a layer of pseudo-intellectual bog roll

A certain other is just blatantly ****ing on the carpet of decency

cnerd123

likes this
I figured that the mitigating factor in Watson's favour was that he was a solid Cricket Chat contributor on what is primarily a Cricket forum

Feels harsh to perma a guy who is a solid contributor in the primary aspect of the forum just because he says offensive stuff in off-topic threads.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, Hitlers policies on infrastructure and employment were sound, and its not like the Jews were central to maintaining the country.....

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I figured that the mitigating factor in Watson's favour was that he was a solid Cricket Chat contributor on what is primarily a Cricket forum

Feels harsh to perma a guy who is a solid contributor in the primary aspect of the forum just because he says offensive stuff in off-topic threads.
Watson is a strange cat indeed.

On the one hand his views on politics and life are the polar opposite of mine and some of the stuff he came out with was truly abhorrent.......especially the post that got him 3 months. But on the other, as you say in CC he is a valuable contributor, but I also sort of admired him in a way because despite setting himself up as public enemy No1 around here, I don't think I ever saw him lose his ****. He rightly copped a lot of flack for some of his opinions but he never seemed to retaliate and all the **** that came his way just seemed to wash over him. Very few of us would have that self control IMO.

Anyway, 3 months is just for what he posted and I'm glad the mods took that action. I was wondering though if and when he comes back does this forum have the facility to allow the mods to ban members from specific sub forums rather than the whole site? If so IMO anyway he should be warned that this forum does not and will not tolerate the sort of posting that got him banned and if he errs even slightly then he will be permabanned from Off Topic and the Politics forums.

Theres my 2 cents.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's face it, if Watson had come in a year ago and posted as he did as a new poster, he'd have been off the site as quick as anything.

there's been far too much leeway giving to him because he was a long-term poster. That nonsense about "oh I've just discovered Milo look at what he says", when he was clearly indoctrinated in those views for ages, and his arguments showed it afterwards. If that was a new poster they'd have been called on it immediately, for trolling and forum atmosphere, it was guff, for every post.
That's pretty much it. We are much much harsher on newer posters (well allegedly old trolls) but the known and repeat offenders roam around scot-free or get away with a slap on the wrist.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll start by saying that while I theoretically agree with some of Watson general points on the problems with pluralism, his on and off linking of it to race is pretty dire and I understand why he gets people so riled up. What I don't agree with is how many here dial up his opinions from "misguided, kind of racist" to "literally Hitler". I'd argue he's a western supremacist, not a white supremacist. I know most here would say that's a difference without a distinction but I'd strongly disagree. To my knowledge he's never suggested violence against any group, not spouted any slurs and gets nowhere near as personal with other members as they do with him.

I'm not trying to argue against his ban, it was a ****** post and he deserves a spell. But I think on the whole he adds value to the political threads, even just as contrast on a forum that's pretty one eyed ideologically (see the political compass thread). I wouldn't want to see him perma'd.

Just my 2c.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll start by saying that while I theoretically agree with some of Watson general points on the problems with pluralism, his on and off linking of it to race is pretty dire and I understand why he gets people so riled up. What I don't agree with is how many here dial up his opinions from "misguided, kind of racist" to "literally Hitler". I'd argue he's a western supremacist, not a white supremacist. I know most here would say that's a difference without a distinction but I'd strongly disagree. To my knowledge he's never suggested violence against any group, not spouted any slurs and gets nowhere near as personal with other members as they do with him.

I'm not trying to argue against his ban, it was a ****** post and he deserves a spell. But I think on the whole he adds value to the political threads, even just as contrast on a forum that's pretty one eyed ideologically (see the political compass thread). I wouldn't want to see him perma'd.

Just my 2c.
On the whole I see where you're coming from Ausage, not that I entirely agree with it.

The trouble with Watson I think is with the bolded in your post. The fact that he riles up a lot of Western liberals on this forum is neither here nor there, but this is a global community and a massive chunk of our membership is not Western.........therefore White supremacist or Western supremacist his posting is extremely derogatory to a large chunk of our community. We want to be inclusive here so there has to be a no tolerance policy towards any sort of supremacist talk.

I don't want to see he perma'd at this stage either.........but on his return any more of it then he certainly should be.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
On the whole I see where you're coming from Ausage, not that I entirely agree with it.

The trouble with Watson I think is with the bolded in your post. The fact that he riles up a lot of Western liberals on this forum is neither here nor there, but this is a global community and a massive chunk of our membership is not Western.........therefore White supremacist or Western supremacist his posting is extremely derogatory to a large chunk of our community. We want to be inclusive here so there has to be a no tolerance policy towards any sort of supremacist talk.

I don't want to see he perma'd at this stage either.........but on his return any more of it then he certainly should be.
I think this is a very good point and the fact that Watson doesn't acknowledge it in how he phrases things is a black mark for him. Politics threads on a forum with such a diverse group of people are always going to be challenging though, I think most here would agree with that expectation in their sober moments.

I'm not in any way interested in defending his views, I just think he's misrepresented a fair bit. Most people don't care because they don't like him, but the arguments against him are strong enough without trying to turn him into something he's not.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So what happens after 3 months when he comes back and does the same ****? I'm not really on board with a perma ban, but like, within days of his return we're jusy gonna go through all this again, so what then

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So what happens after 3 months when he comes back and does the same ****? I'm not really on board with a perma ban, but like, within days of his return we're jusy gonna go through all this again, so what then
It really depends on how he conducts himself I suppose. Anything vaguely along the lines of his post yesterday then I'd have no problem with a perma being handed down.

But lets be honest here, he posts views that most us don't agree with for sure but in the main he keeps it in check.......by that I mean he's not always posting **** like that which got him banned, if he did he would have been perma'd yonks ago. I also think that Watson is an intelligent bloke and I don't think he's here for the troll.........he's not like other serial pests we've had here. I reckon when if and when he comes back it will be very clear straight up whether he wants to stay or not and if he does he'll keep a lid on it.......if he doesn't give a **** then he'll likely go full tilt and the end of him will come very quick.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
oh dear, "what about the poor racial realists".

the point of no return with Watson passed long ago, probably around the time he advocated the presumption of innocence be flexible. the reason people post Nazi memes at him these days is not to argue with him but make it clear to all others that his opinions belong beyond the pale (there's a metaphor he'd appreciate) even if the moderators happen to take a different view.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm not comfortable with the idea of telling Watson he can only post here as long as he doesn't post like a Nazi, since he isn't posting in that manner to annoy us but because he genuinely holds that stance and those beliefs. Telling him he cant post his genuine thoughts here while the rest of us can is kind of unfair.

Not really sure what the right way to handle this is. He's already despised by a lot of the community for his posting in political discussions, and generally speaking thats how societies deal with people with his sort of beliefs. Punishing him for expressing them in a civilised manner seems wrong

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey look at us.......we got our own little mod forum going on here :laugh:

I wonder how many pages the real "what to do about Watson" thread is behind the scenes lol

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not comfortable with the idea of telling Watson he can only post here as long as he doesn't post like a Nazi
I'm 100% comfortable with it.

Edit:

By that I mean he can still post his political views if he so wishes even if they are against the grain, but his content can not be offensive or cause offense to anyone.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not comfortable with the idea of telling Watson he can only post here as long as he doesn't post like a Nazi, since he isn't posting in that manner to annoy us but because he genuinely holds that stance and those beliefs. Telling him he cant post his genuine thoughts here while the rest of us can is kind of unfair.

Not really sure what the right way to handle this is. He's already despised by a lot of the community for his posting in political discussions, and generally speaking thats how societies deal with people with his sort of beliefs. Punishing him for expressing them in a civilised manner seems wrong

Yeah that's kinda how I feel. It's not like you can blame him only from the N&P board Ecept I don't really care that much about punishing him