• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web - Book Project

James

Cricket Web Owner
As an aside - what will you do with posts that consist only of smilies or photographs not taken by the poster in question?
Posts that consist solely of smiles have been edited out along with off-topic posts that don't specifically relate to the thread topic. A lot of work has been done on this both by us and by the publishers as there is a strict 75,000 word limit on the book.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I appear to have contributed 2 posts out of approx. 10,000. Do I get 0.02% of the Royalties? Of course, I expect this without having contributed anything towards the costs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Should definitely include a thread related to other part of cricket - e.g the politics, history, race, etc. Some good discussion in those threads, and really shows the breadth of topics. Obviously have to pick one that didn't end in a flamewar.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a really neat idea and all but I'm just wondering, since this is, after all, a book involving majority of us, why wasn't the wider forum input taken regarding the choices of threads?

It would have made a great thread even if none of our opinions were taken seriously. If nothing else at least it, would be full of nostalgia for the veterans, we'd get laughs from reading some of each other's older, misinformed selves, and the newer guys like me (in relative terms) would get to see some of the quality posts made in the past. Pity imo, feel this could have been more of a community effort.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
It's a really neat idea and all but I'm just wondering, since this is, after all, a book involving majority of us, why wasn't the wider forum input taken regarding the choices of threads?

It would have made a great thread even if none of our opinions were taken seriously. If nothing else at least it, would be full of nostalgia for the veterans, we'd get laughs from reading some of each other's older, misinformed selves, and the newer guys like me (in relative terms) would get to see some of the quality posts made in the past. Pity imo, feel this could have been more of a community effort.
That's a fair enough point, and I can see where you're coming from. Certainly, if future books were done if this one proves successful, we will definitely consider going down this route. The reception from the publishers and from book distributors has been extremely positive to date.

A team of people was put together to help choose and edit the threads so it hasn't been a one or two person effort. The publishers also initially wanted us to keep this under wraps until later in the project, and of course with any book, it isn't until later in the project when you're sure it will "see print".

Personally, I see this as a community effort regardless because it's hundreds of individual people's thoughts and opinions brought together into print. The book will acknowledge the CW community as a whole up front also.

Andre

International Regular
Is it just forum threads? Been some good feature articles over the years too; would be good to see a few of them in print too.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Is it just forum threads? Been some good feature articles over the years too; would be good to see a few of them in print too.
Yes, it's just forum threads.

But yes agree with you completely, the quality of features over the years has been awesome and hopefully we can do something on this in the future.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don't want to appear negative, but I do have a question...

Let's say I'm an average bookshop punter and I'm looking at cricket books for something to read over summer. I see this book, think "that looks interesting", read the blurb and see that it's a collection of posts from "cricketweb.net". Why wouldn't I just put the book down, buy something else, and come home to jump online and read the cricketweb stuff for free?

That said, I really hope it does well. It's bloody hard to get stuff published, I've tried a few times and failed, so I really hope this gets up and does well. At the very least, it's great promo for the site.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I don't think what you're saying is negative, it's a fair point seeing as the content is all free to begin with. The logic behind publishing the book is to give cricket fans another way to enjoy cricket conversations and bring a piece of the internet medium to the print medium. Certain cricket fans don't touch an internet forum and this would hopefully bring them in based off the threads we've chosen to include and the overall quality of them.

This is though a completely new concept that is being trialed and has never been done before with any sporting forum. Who knows how it may go but so far all we've had is positive feedback.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it would really be a hit with the people who are still cricket fans but who are not all that internet savvy.. My dad still thinks the best way to spend time cricket-related is to read some cricket literature. He still feels newspaper reports are better than watching highlights etc.. So there is that section of people who may enjoy fan conversations in a printed form..

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I hope these threads have been heavily edited. Committing to print that Garry Sobers was a pie thrower, Viv Richards batted like a girl, Warne and Murali can be separated by a spreadsheet if you disregard the existence of small countries, Imran Khan is the most important Human Being since Moses (even when bowling left-handed) might not see the forum in it's best light. This is without even considering first chance averages and Ian Bishop having been a more effective Test bowler than any spinner in history.

archie mac

International Coach
I hope these threads have been heavily edited. Committing to print that Garry Sobers was a pie thrower, Viv Richards batted like a girl, Warne and Murali can be separated by a spreadsheet if you disregard the existence of small countries, Imran Khan is the most important Human Being since Moses (even when bowling left-handed) might not see the forum in it's best light. This is without even considering first chance averages and Ian Bishop having been a more effective Test bowler than any spinner in history.
If this became public it may have changed cricket for ever