Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deletion of posts

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Best way would be to create a mod that allows the poster to see his deleted post with the GM's reason for deletion. Attached is an example from PC of how the poster would see this.

And nice to hear that mods are using the delete button a little more often, long time coming IMO. Oh and welcome to the dark side.
    Seems a good idea IMHO. I'm in favour of CW's new all singing, dancing, arse-kicking & bitch-slapping moderating, but if posts are just disappeared like latin American dissidents there's a danger threads might begin to make less sense for those who read it after.At least with a notice of deletion we'll know something untoward has happened.

Love the fact a reason for deletion is given too; could became an art-form in itself.

Reason for deletion: mentions first chance average.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

With NP and Brumby here. I think it's great that mods are deleting posts, rather than allowing them to derail threads left and right. However, there should be a note that a post was deleted and the offending party should be able to tell why.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Post deleted means he broke a rule.
    Generally, slanderous statements are what has led to posts being deleted. However, we are also inclined to stop all discussion around that slanderous statement.

E.g. accusing someone of matchfixing when there is no evidence. We have to delete the post concerned, and will warn the person involved. We will also delete any posts quoting and addressing that point, because it will sidetrack discussion over a topic that generally will not concern the thread; it may be quoting the statement.

Thus, people with deleted posts can often not have done anything wrong. It is a case of us redirecting the thread to appropriate discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    That's ironic. 2 weeks ago you were compaining that certain moderators, in your opinion, weren't active enough.
    wai delete rant?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    That's ironic. 2 weeks ago you were compaining that certain moderators, in your opinion, weren't active enough.
    Unrelated.

Certain moderators are certainly not active enough. Guys like Loony Bob and Pickup don't moderate nearly enough. As Pasag said in that thread, I would prefer guys not to do just the backyard work and leave the front yard work to a few people. There are enough people to take responsibility of doing both jobs, in Pasag's own words. That's my opinion.

I must say though that given that it is a moderation team, it is their opinion which matters on the matter and if they feel a few guys can stick in the team as they contribute to offline discussions, it is fair enough.
    Last edited by Pratters; 28-03-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    It's all related. You've criticised mods for not being active. Then a new mod is appointed who does something you don't agree with, and all of a sudden new mods should take a back seat. That's not consistent.

I must say though that given that it is a moderation team, it is their opinion which matters on the matter and if they feel a few guys can stick in the team as they contribute to offline discussions, it is fair enough.
    So that's the end of the matter? Don't know about everyone else but discussions about the makeup of the moderating team/the moderating ability of some is starting to get really tedious.

Suggestions about moderating, such as NP's in this thread are fine but at the end of the day if James is happy with the team he has moderating his forum then that should really be it

It's not related gingerfurball. I have criticised that certain mods are not active. I have not said the moderation team as a whole is not active. There is a clear difference between the two. The moderation team does a fine job on the whole.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Certain moderators are certainly not active enough. Guys like Loony Bob and Pickup don't moderate nearly enough.
    I'm not sure how you can make such a statement when you're not involved in the day to day running of the site. Surely the guy who runs the site finds them valuable enough to keep them around. Also its not as if they're taking up spots that could otherwise be filled up by others, there is no limit to how many mods there can be.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    So that's the end of the matter? Don't know about everyone else but discussions about the makeup of the moderating team/the moderating ability of some is starting to get really tedious.

Suggestions about moderating, such as NP's in this thread are fine but at the end of the day if James is happy with the team he has moderating his forum then that should really be it
    I didn't raise the point. GFB did by bringing up that topic again.
    Last edited by Pratters; 28-03-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I'm not sure how you can make such a statement when you're not involved in the day to day running of the site.
    I mean on site moderating which I CAN see. The other argument is they do the off line moderating activities. As Pasag said if some one can't do both, it would be preferable to have some one who does both as there are enough quality people around who could moderate.

I didn't raise the point. GFB did by bringing up that topic again. I also believe it is a moot point and not some thing which needs to be discussed if the people who matter are happy with the moderation team.
    Then why do this?
    I have criticised that certain mods are not active.
    You don't see the contributions you make and if they make them at all is of no importance if "the moderating team do a good job on the whole". I'm guessing that, for the moment anyway, James is happy with the makeup of his moderating team so can it really be left there? Issues with the way people moderate can be brought via the appropriate means such as email. Suggestions on improving moderation as a whole (this thread) do no harm IMO
    But complaining about the moderation team on the open forum does no good for anything nor anyone.
    Last edited by Marcuss; 28-03-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    it would be preferable to have some one who does both as there are enough quality people around who could moderate.
    But are there really that many around. Especially those who actually have the time to do the job and who want to do it?

I daresay anyone who ticks all those boxes is already doing the job.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    I mean on site moderating which I CAN see. The other argument is they do the off line moderating activities. As Pasag said if some one can't do both, it would be preferable to have some one who does both as there are enough quality people around who could moderate.
    Again, you make it sound as if the old-not-so-active need to make way for the new by stepping down. Its not a cricket team's first XI. If more mods are needed on the front James will appoint some, as he did with gingy, why would there be a need for the two mentioned to step down?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Then why do this?
    I had to respond to the query by GFB which said it is all related which it really isn't.

The mod team is doing an excellent job any ways. It is a non issue where I am concerned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information