• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To avoid going off-topic in another thread...

Loony BoB

International Captain
James said:
If people continue to admit to breaking the law (piracy) on these forums, you open yourself up completely to action being taken against you.

What you do in your own time I don't care about, but when you bring it onto these forums, you make it my business.

This will be my final warning before I will make an example out of someone..
It's worth noting that downloading is not illegal - downloading via P2P programs is. You can purchase downloads in a completely legal fashion, so surely talking about downloading is just as bad as talking about going to your local music store?

EDIT: According to this article, 8% of internet have mp3 downloads as their preferred way of purchasing music, so it should be expected that people would talk about such a normal, legal activity on occasion.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Downloading copyright material without the permission of the person or means by which the person has given you the option to buy his product is illegal though. As bad as going to a music store and running away with cds avoiding the security.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Downloading copyright material without the permission of the person or means by which the person has given you the option to buy his product is illegal though. As bad as going to a music store and running away with cds avoiding the security.
Have people been talking about that, though? From what I saw in the thread that post was in, the recent posts featuring the word 'download' never mentioned any illegal activity.

I just want to make sure I'm not going to get banned for saying "I downloaded some music today."

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
Have people been talking about that, though? From what I saw in the thread that post was in, the recent posts featuring the word 'download' never mentioned any illegal activity.
They also didn't mention any financial transactions so it is far better to be safe than sorry.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Downloading whole albums (or even, 18 of them) doesn't really sound like a very financially sound transaction if you are doing it legally...

Loony BoB

International Captain
marc71178 said:
They also didn't mention any financial transactions so it is far better to be safe than sorry.
"Guilty until proven innocent"? You may as well ban people on the suspicion that they are, in the future, going to talk about downloading music illegally - before they even have posted. It's also notable that half the members of this forum may have pirated CDs, DVDs - hell, they might've stolen their cricket balls from a sports store.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What a load of rubbish.

James is only stopping people from discussing things which can easily be read as being illegal - maintaining a consistent policy that he has held since day 1.

What has that got to do with cricket balls?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay dude - sites have ran into trouble and closed because of piracy and it's talk. No one is saying you are guilty of downloading music illegally. But if every one keeps saying I downloaded x,y,z, it can make cw be sorry at large.

When you download legally, you either buy any thing or you get a free stuff. So why not say I bought or some thing on those lines to help cw remain safe from outsiders as a forum.

When some one points, it is only because of this larger concern.

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Okay dude - sites have ran into trouble and closed because of piracy and it's talk.
Finally, a reason! :) I've not once heard of this happening, mind you. The only sites I've seen get sent C&D or get shut down for any reason were those that hosted files or had open discussion on the sharing of music which should not be shared. But if this has indeed happened then I can completely understand your position on the matter.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Incidentally, downloading music files via P2P programs isn't illegal either, if you own a copy of the material in question, or if the material in question isn't copyrighted. For example, concert bootlegs are almost never illegal to download (though they may have been illegal to make in the first place), because it's difficult to argue that anyone owns the material in a concrete sense. The songs might be the intellectual property of a particular musician, and that angle could be argued, but aside from that as nobody has officially recorded and released the material for profit at most concerts, you aren't cutting into anyone's profits by downloading it, and it isn't officially copyrighted, so there is no illegal activity.

There's also the fact that some (in fact, quite a few) record labels and independant musicians don't have any issue at all with people downloading their material. Downloading music via the internet is only illegal if a) you don't own the material already, b) the material is copyrighted, and c) the owner of the copyrighted material hasn't given permission for the material to be spread freely over the internet. Going on Limewire and downloading the latest Britney Spears single is illegal, but downloading her latest concert or downloading the latest release by some punk act on Alternative Tentacles Records or whatever is almost certainly not.

In other words, downloading music is not necessarily illegal, and it seems strange to close all threads which discuss it. It might be better to stamp out specific things, rather than general discussion. And as far as the official responses to websites and so on is concerned, if you aren't hosting files yourself and nobody links to them, CW should be perfectly safe. The website isn't going to get in trouble because a few people mention downloading music without specifying in any way that it is illegal activity, because it isn't necessarily so. It'd be like closing all threads which mention smoking, because someone might assume they were referring to smoking some illegal substance or another instead of cigarettes.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Going on Limewire and downloading the latest Britney Spears single is illegal,
Surely the person sharing it in that case could get off with diminished responsbility though, since by buying said single they are clearly showing that they're not mentally stable.

James

Cricket Web Owner
vic_orthdox said:
Downloading whole albums (or even, 18 of them) doesn't really sound like a very financially sound transaction if you are doing it legally...
and that's exactly where I'm coming from.

As Marc said, who is a member who has been with CW since virtually day 1, we are very strict when it comes to illegal activites on this forum. Someone promoting Warez websites as another example.

I posted a similar warning earlier in the thread and no one came back with "I'm actually buying them from bla bla website", and in one members case I somehow doubt a 12 year old is getting his parents to pay for 18 full albums off the internet which I presume would cost well over 100 pounds.

Re the closing of threads? Where have I mentioned I would close the threads and have there been any closed threads? No there hasn't.

I'm not interested in whether CW is at risk or not, but obviously I would be more severe if the site was, but we'll never allow illegal activities to be admitted to and advertised on these forums. That's always been a rule of mine, and it will always stand.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I didn't mean to imply CW is at risk if it came out that way. We are a safe forum from every angle so there is no reason to be. :)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
What a load of rubbish.

James is only stopping people from discussing things which can easily be read as being illegal - maintaining a consistent policy that he has held since day 1.

What has that got to do with cricket balls?
I downloaded two cricket balls today :unsure:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Incidentally, downloading music files via P2P programs isn't illegal either, if you own a copy of the material in question, or if the material in question isn't copyrighted. For example, concert bootlegs are almost never illegal to download (though they may have been illegal to make in the first place), because it's difficult to argue that anyone owns the material in a concrete sense. The songs might be the intellectual property of a particular musician, and that angle could be argued, but aside from that as nobody has officially recorded and released the material for profit at most concerts, you aren't cutting into anyone's profits by downloading it, and it isn't officially copyrighted, so there is no illegal activity.

There's also the fact that some (in fact, quite a few) record labels and independant musicians don't have any issue at all with people downloading their material. Downloading music via the internet is only illegal if a) you don't own the material already, b) the material is copyrighted, and c) the owner of the copyrighted material hasn't given permission for the material to be spread freely over the internet. Going on Limewire and downloading the latest Britney Spears single is illegal, but downloading her latest concert or downloading the latest release by some punk act on Alternative Tentacles Records or whatever is almost certainly not.

In other words, downloading music is not necessarily illegal, and it seems strange to close all threads which discuss it. It might be better to stamp out specific things, rather than general discussion. And as far as the official responses to websites and so on is concerned, if you aren't hosting files yourself and nobody links to them, CW should be perfectly safe. The website isn't going to get in trouble because a few people mention downloading music without specifying in any way that it is illegal activity, because it isn't necessarily so. It'd be like closing all threads which mention smoking, because someone might assume they were referring to smoking some illegal substance or another instead of cigarettes.
Exactly, there are a couple of sites that you can download concerts from that have the express permission of the artists themselves.