• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morne Morkel v Bob Willis

Better Test Bowler

• Morne Morkel

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Bob Willis

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Test Bowling:

Willis

M: 90
W: 325 (3.61 Wpm)
Av: 25.20
Sr: 53.4
4W: 12
5W: 16
10W: 0

Morkel

M: 86
W: 309 (3.59 Wpm)
Av: 27.66
Sr: 53.3
4W: 18
5W: 8
10W: 0

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'll take the bloke with more fifers
Although that may reflect who else was in the attack. I'd guess that Morkel played most of his test career with Steyn, whereas Willis only had to share the limelight for about 4 years with Botham in his pomp.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Although that may reflect who else was in the attack. I'd guess that Morkel played most of his test career with Steyn, whereas Willis only had to share the limelight for about 4 years with Botham in his pomp.
True enough & there was Big Vern for the latter part of it too.

Although RGDW overlapped with Snow (slightly), Old & Dilley, so it wasn't all duffers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
True enough & there was Big Vern for the latter part of it too.

Although RGDW overlapped with Snow (slightly), Old & Dilley, so it wasn't all duffers.
Also had some of the limelight taken when bowling with Rabada recently, who has not been doing to bad.

But ultimately Morkel took less 5-fors than he should have, because it took 3/4 of his career to learn to pitch the ball up.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Morkel was the king of third seamers, so yeah, depends on who else I have in the attack.

Don't really agree that he'd be better on a flat track. Morkel could look very one-note just trying to get bounce off a good length, but when there was seam on offer that would start to look nasty. He wasn't someone who could just blast a side out from nowhere, he was a bowler that kept up pressure and made advantage count.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Morkel was the king of third seamers, so yeah, depends on who else I have in the attack.

Don't really agree that he'd be better on a flat track. Morkel could look very one-note just trying to get bounce off a good length, but when there was seam on offer that would start to look nasty. He wasn't someone who could just blast a side out from nowhere, he was a bowler that kept up pressure and made advantage count.
The king of 3rd seamers is no doubt Garner.

Borges

International Regular
Bob Willis.

The numbers are similar; the hyena which feasts on the carrion after the big cats have left also fills its belly.

Bolo

State Captain
Willis has some really good numbers for someone who doesn't get much recognition. Nearly had the most wickets record. I guess he's overshadowed by too many contemporaries.

IDK enough about him to give an opinion on the question, just making a general comment.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bob Willis.

The numbers are similar; the hyena which feasts on the carrion after the big cats have left also fills its belly.
If you're talking about a 3rd seamer, that wasn't Willis' role at all. He normally opened the bowling.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Willis has some really good numbers for someone who doesn't get much recognition. Nearly had the most wickets record. I guess he's overshadowed by too many contemporaries.

IDK enough about him to give an opinion on the question, just making a general comment.
That's pretty fair. He peaked slightly too late to be signed up for WSC, and was never seen as being in the same class as the Aus/WI quicks from that era.
His longevity did him great credit. Lack of alternatives, partially due to the 1982 'rebel' tour of SA, meant that he led the English attack for longer than he should have been expected to.

a massive zebra

International Captain
That's pretty fair. He peaked slightly too late to be signed up for WSC, and was never seen as being in the same class as the Aus/WI quicks from that era.
Other than Lillee, which Australian quicks of his era were considered to be of a higher class than Bob Willis? Obviously Thomson at his best was more lethal, but this was purely due to his incredible pace which he only maintained for a brief period. Willis probably had a wider range of skills, was more effective for longer, and ended up with significantly better stats. Honestly cannot think of any other Australian quicks of that era who could be considered in Willis' class, leave alone ahead.

Obviously the West Indies had loads.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Other than Lillee, which Australian quicks of his era were considered to be of a higher class than Bob Willis? Obviously Thomson at his best was more lethal, but this was purely due to his incredible pace which he only maintained for a brief period. Willis probably had a wider range of skills, was more effective for longer, and ended up with significantly better stats. Honestly cannot think of any other Australian quicks of that era who could be considered in Willis' class, leave alone ahead.

Obviously the West Indies had loads.
You're probably right. I was thinking about Lillee and peak Thomson. Walker was very good but obviously a different type of bowler to Willis. Ditto Alderman; arguably out-bowled Willis throughout the 1981 series as a whole though. Pascoe probably not as good as Willis. Hogg was very, very good actually. Lawson there or thereabouts. Have I forgotten anyone?