• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Word Tennis Draft

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
And now for something completely different.

This draft is based off a game I used to play in school called "word tennis" where the class would pick a topic & play tennis by interchanging words that began with the final letter of the word used previously.

Basically the draft works like something like this... You are free to choose any player from any country (apart from Bradman), as long as their surname begins with the final letter of the previous pick.

Say, for example, the person before you picks Sachin Tendulkar, the player you pick must have a surname beginning with the the letter R.

For the sake of consistency, Pakistani & Bangladeshi cricketers will revert to their surname/final name (eg: Imran Khan). Players with triple-barrel, or even hyphenated names i guess will revert to their last two names (eg: Inzamam-ul-Haq / Shakib Al Hasan). I admit I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Muslim naming practises, so hopefully we don't run into any issues here as long as were all competing within the spirit of things.

Additionally, brothers, or any players that share a surname with a previously selected player are still available for selection. Just be sure to state clearly who you have selected.

8 hour time limits in effect. Round orders will be RNG'd. Post if interested. Questions welcomed.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
In.

For the sake of consistency, Pakistani & Bangladeshi cricketers will revert to their surname/final name (eg: Imran Khan). Players with triple-barrel, or even hyphenated names i guess will revert to their last two names (eg: Inzamam-ul-Haq / Shakib Al Hasan). I admit I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Muslim naming practises, so hopefully we don't run into any issues here as long as were all competing within the spirit of things.
It would be like picking Faf du Plessis under the letter D instead of P, wouldn't it? We should probably stick to the last word in the name.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be like picking Faf du Plessis under the letter D instead of P, wouldn't it? We should probably stick to the last word in the name.
Yeah, Players such as Faf du Plessis & AB de Villiers are acceptable as D's. If more people think it's a better idea to stick to the last word only I'm happy to run with it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah, Players such as Faf du Plessis & AB de Villiers are acceptable as D's. If more people think it's a better idea to stick to the last word only I'm happy to run with it.
Tennis hey, I'll play.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sri Lankan players are going to be great to pick. I could probably pick Vaas off any alphabet. :p

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It's surnames only. So you could only pick Vaas if the person before you picked a player with a surname ending in V

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Good stuff Nufan.

5 entrants so far, this concept doesn't need a huge number of players. Might leave it open for a little while longer before the kick-off.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
What happens if someone picks Roger Prideaux?
That's a head scratcher. I guess if we do happen to land on X, we could just revert to the second last letter in the surname. So in Prideaux's case, the next player in line gets the letter U.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That's a head scratcher. I guess if we do happen to land on X, we could just revert to the second last letter in the surname. So in Prideaux's case, the next player in line gets the letter U.
Unfortunately Xavier Doherty would come right into calculations.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's clarify a few things.

- 8 hour time limits per pick.
- The player you select must have a surname beginning with the final letter of the previously picked player's surname.
- Player's surnames are taken into consideration only. Due to popular choice, this will mean that the player's final name (or word) will be the only one taken into consideration. Eg: Inzamam-ul-Haq is now a H / AB de Villiers is a V.
- If someone happens to get stuck with the letter X, they may use the second last letter of the name of the player picked previously.
- Each of the rounds will be randomised, meaning there will be no double picks.
- If anyone happens to time out, then they will be skipped, but can jump back in at any time and make their selection with whichever letter is legal & valid at the time. However, all players must have made their selections for the round to end, and for the next round to begin.

Last edited: