• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Thread

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is Nazir in the squad?.Up against decent bowlers who actually pitch the ball up he's going to be lbw or bowled every time.What did Salman Butt do to deserve getting dropped?.I'd certainly prefer him to Nazir.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Just like how Australia picked Tait over Clark for obvious, Pakistan missed a trick by not selecting Rehman instead of Kaneria.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What did Salman Butt do to deserve getting dropped?
Register one good score in his last 10 matches? He averaged 19podd in that course. He failed to reach 10 in 5 of those 10 innings, and failed to reach 20 in 7.
As an opening batsman in Pakistan, you don't get much leeway for poor form.

Mr Mxyzptlk

the inclusion of kuneria is a bad move i think. they guy has a bad one day record. i don't think he would a wining factor ever in one day matches. instead i would say they should have given rahaman chance. the guy started his career good but one bad match caused his position in the team. i think not a fair move from pcb.
Fairly certain that there was more thought behind Rehman decision than his performance in one game. It'd be very amateur if they changed their mind about him that quickly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fairly certain that there was more thought behind Rehman decision than his performance in one game. It'd be very amateur if they changed their mind about him that quickly.
I'm not so sure there. He was in the squad for this series against South Africa, Kaneria was not. He played one game, bowled a couple of overs, got spanked, and now he's out of the squad and Kaneria is in. So it appears that game has changed their views on him. Even though Pakistan lost by 10 wickets with over 35 overs to spare..

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm not so sure there. He was in the squad for this series against South Africa, Kaneria was not. He played one game, bowled a couple of overs, got spanked, and now he's out of the squad and Kaneria is in. So it appears that game has changed their views on him. Even though Pakistan lost by 10 wickets with over 35 overs to spare..
I think the fact that he only played one game indicates that the selectors may not have been favouring him for the World Cup before it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think the fact that he only played one game indicates that the selectors may not have been favouring him for the World Cup before it.
One game is one more game than Kaneria played though.

The fact that he was in the squad and Kaneri wasn't speaks volumes. They have changed their squad since the last series, dropping Rehman for Kaneria. The only thing that has changed is that one game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

One game is one more game than Kaneria played though.

The fact that he was in the squad and Kaneri wasn't speaks volumes. They have changed their squad since the last series, dropping Rehman for Kaneria. The only thing that has changed is that one game.
I think, in an odd way, it speaks more that Rehman was in the squad and they deemed him unworthy of playing, than Kaneria not being in the squad at all. Kaneria was in a way the backup plan. They took Rehman to the front-line and, for whatever reason, had no confidence to play him, so they've entrusted their backup.

Admittedly they didn't see it fit to take the backup to the front line, but I suppose that's why he's the backup.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think, in an odd way, it speaks more that Rehman was in the squad and they deemed him unworthy of playing, than Kaneria not being in the squad at all. Kaneria was in a way the backup plan. They took Rehman to the front-line and, for whatever reason, had no confidence to play him, so they've entrusted their backup.

Admittedly they didn't see it fit to take the backup to the front line, but I suppose that's why he's the backup.
That's quite a good point I guess. But aren't the same people who pick the squad typically the same people who pick the final XI? Hence, they changed their opinion of Rehman in between when they selected him and when the first game started - without a game even being played...

shortpitched713

International Captain
Was an ugly hundred though. He's a hit-and-miss player. And he's not as effective as an Afridi when he hits. I'd much rather a proper batsman in the side - like Hameed.
Oh, same here, I was just emphasizing the fact that Nazir has done nothing of note recently besides that one 50, and one innings a quality player does not make.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Finally some good news for Pakistan. Umar Gul is recovering well and should be 100% before the Big tournament starts. A very Big boost considering all the bad new surrounding Pakistan these days.

Now all eyes are on the 2 Aces, Akhtar and Asif. Asif has a niggle in his elbow, not a big concern, he should be fit. But the Big question is if he will be able to pass the dope test.

PCB and the 2 bowlers have been trying to postpone it which is smart, hopefully they will take the test next week or the week after. Asif had a lower level of nandrolene in his system, therefore he has better chances of passing it this time around.

Shoiab is suffering from a knee injury ..he has been casted as 50/50 for the world cup. I can see PCB putting thier money on this horse. They will keep akhtar in the squad even if he misses half the tournament.
I think Akhtar will be in the squad and as soon as his private tests show that he is good to go, he will return
For posterity...

pacespinner

Cricket Spectator
:@ Oh please, these injuries, they are all ridiculous reasons for players to take advantage of. When I used to play cricket for my county, I used to look forward for more games, even if I was injured.
Gimme a break here, doping is a serious issue, but not the injuries, these playa's betta be ready to play for their country, otherwise there's no use for them.

Too much money, and too much enjoyment...game has taken a different curve now,no one is really focussed in game itself, but the money off of it. That is disgraceful and spiteful.

Go out in the ground and play the DAMN game... Thanx :@

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully Akhtar & Asif pass their dope test, would hate to see anything worst happpen to them.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Hopefully Akhtar & Asif pass their dope test, would hate to see anything worst happpen to them.
I think the smartest thing to do would be to leave them out of the squad. Why risk a life ban (specially for a young Asif)? I know this is the WC and the stakes are high, but there is plenty of cricket to be played after the tournament. We need Asif and can't risk the life ban.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anyone know how long nandrolone stays in the system?

5 - 6 months seems an awful long time

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I think Asif and Akhtar aren't going to make it coz of dope tests and will be left out.

Pak attack without Akhtar looked third class in SA, and without Asif how would it fare is for anyone to guess!!. However if Rana is able to sort out his problem and Umar Gul gets fit to play all matches, then Rana, Gul, Afridi,Anjum and Razzak/Hafeez might not be that bad a bowling attack. They are still going to miss one strike bowler though, Rehman here would have been ideal, can't see Sami or Azhar Mahmood doing a better job with ball than Rehman.