• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Season 9 Discussions Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Congratulations to Simon Fitzsimmons for becoming the 2nd CW player to pass 10,000 career runs. He did so with his century against the Reds, and took a total of 266 innings to get there.
actually Liam, wouldnt i have passed it in the second innings, according to my stats ive got 10073 @ 39.19, but i could be wrong...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Well done Si, deserved :notworthy

Our batting and bowling was a concern for us in the first innings, we`ll need to lift against Green, and we can. Great application in the second innings, and then Trav went wild. Awesome spell. I was poor with the ball, but at least I kept the runs down. No 10-wicket hauls there :p

Should be a cracker against the Greens, let`s enjoy it. Live sim would rock.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Cricket Web Colts vs Cricket Web Green
...Hancock tore through the middle order, leaving Garven to attempt recovery - 236 all out.

...then Hancock struck twice quickly to impose himself once more. He returned to dismiss innings topscorer, Rob Malone, and Kyle Wright took 4 wickets to wrap up the tail.

Man of the Match: NR Hancock
I'm flattered... but it would have been nice to do this a while ago... :sleep:

dinu23

International Debutant
well done Simo! 10000+ runs, that's amazing. i have a long way to go to get that target. but then again I have to first get in to the team :D

should be a cracker tmr against the green boys!

GO BLUE!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cricket Web Blue vs Cricket Web Green
at the CWBCC Stadium

Hard-fought cricket to the very end. Cricket Web Blue finished atop the 5D Standings, after completing a tense 16-run victory over Green. The game was full of momentum swings, and ended when Cameron was caught at slip to leave Bryce Cunningham stranded on 79.

Liam Camps won the toss and chose to bat first in good conditions. Fitzsimmons slammed the first Hoy delivery to the cover boundary, but was bowled between bat and pad a ball later. Sean Fuller and Peter Young batted well, but Blue fell for 226, as Weber took 4.

The Greens lost Lezama early, and Patrick bowled superbly throughout, and he, Collins and Fuller shared 9 wickets. Runs from Malone, Garven and Bharat put the match even, before Xavier Rose and Nathan Hoy pushed to a firm advantage for Green. The favourites took a lead of 102 on first innings, and the Blues were in a familiar position of rearguard play.

For two teams who fought tooth an nail all season long, the game was far from over. Fitzsimmons and Young responded with another century opening stand, then Cloete, Fuller and Jellett formed a solid middle order. Garnishing a quality fightback, Collins participated in a partnership of 54 with Camps, and Demeza contributed his second highest score of the season - 367 all out.

A target of 266 and game on. Demeza dismissed Sajith early, and when Malone and Goff were out, it was 67/3. A period of intense play followed, as captain Garven and Lezama looked to be playing Green into command. Garven swung Patrick over midwicket for six, but was run out spectacularly by Cribb a ball later.

When Patrick found Bharat's edge a couple of balls into her innings, the game took new life. The score read 122/5 and it was anyone's game. The talisman of Green cricket, Bryce Cunningham took guard and surveyed the field. He added 63 runs with the ever-solid Lezama, then Collins struck. A mistimed drive caught at midoff, and it was up to the lower order to see the game through.

The target whittled down to 61. Collins skipped in to Weber, and bowled him with a ball that kept low. Staring at the pitch in discontent, Weber slowly walked off. For the second time in the match, a big effort was required from Xavier Rose. Once again, he promised to provide. A glorious cover drive was his only boundary, but he led a partnership of 26 with Cunningham.

Just when things looked to have the way of Green once more, Patrick intervened. With beautiful symmetry, the man who made an emotional return with a 5-for at the start of the season, did it for Blue again. Nath Patrick - the leader of the Blue attack - dismissed Rose and Hoy in quick succession, and 35 runs needed with 3 wickets in hand quickly turned to 29 with 1.

Cunningham smashed 10 off Patrick's following over, but crucially failed to hold the strike, leaving Cameron to face Demeza. In the crowd, the fans finished off whatever fingernails remained, and witnessed Young drop his 4th catch of the innings, flooring Cameron off the 3rd ball of the over. Always one for the dramatic, Demeza needed just one more ball... EDGED... caught by Sean Fuller - the man whose inspirational leadership held the Blues together throughout the season.

Cue Queen.

Cricket Web Blue 1st Innings 226 all out
Cricket Web Green 1st Innings 328 all out
Cricket Web Blue 2nd Innings 367 all out
Cricket Web Green 2nd Innings 249 all out
Cricket Web Blue won by 16 runs.

Man of the Match: SE Fuller

Cricket Web Colts vs Cricket Web Black
at the Bellerive Oval

A dead match between the bottom two teams in the league, but it was not short of milestones. Whilst Alex Blackman fell 2 short of 1000 runs for the season, rookie Jasotharan reached the mark. Malthus-Howell scored a maiden First Class ton, and Mamesh fell just short of the Season 8 scoring title.

At the end of it all, Black won by 175 runs. Though the Colts fought back to restrict Black to 276 from 199/3, then went on to score 242 from 38/4, the second innings saw the effort fall to pieces. Black slumped to 103/6 in their second innings, but Blackman's quality shone through in pressing on to 278 all out.

Set a target of 313, the Colts never got close. The wickets were shared around nicely, and Neil Pickup appropriately sealed the deal with the final two scalps. He first dismissed his opposite number, then trapped Thomas in front with a slider.

Cue the offseason.

Cricket Web Black 1st Innings 276 all out
Cricket Web Colts 1st Innings 242 all out
Cricket Web Black 2nd Innings 278 all out
Cricket Web Colts 2nd Innings 137 all out
Cricket Web Black won by 175 runs.

Men of the Match: AJ Blackman and CP Thompson

Attachments

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow. Nothing more needs to be said about that, fantastic match and a fantastic performance by both teams, thrilling finals preview. I don't really want to single anyone out because everyone made a vital contribution at some point in the match. A credit to everyone at Blue that we finished on top of the ladder, and if we play as well as we've shown we can, we should have some silverware pretty soon. :)

Thanks for the detailed report, Liam.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I concur with Adam's "wow". Brilliant game, and what a performance from the team to come back from over 100 runs in arears to win it like that. Brilliant game from Patrick with his 7 wickets to finish a great season, our most experienced 3 batsmen all played crucial knocks, and what about Demeza's final over? Just brilliant, and sets up a huge final.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Great win guys, a top team performance and a nail biting finish at the end. Every one played well in that match and in the end I think we deserved it. Now to top it off we need to win our last OD games, and the finals.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just a side note, but I figure since he said in the rivalry thread how much he likes getting me out that I should mention it. My former Voorburg teammate Tarick Weber was my 100th first class wicket, in the first innings.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
What a a game!

very appropriate way to end the regular part of the 5 day season. its always dissapointing to go so close to winning and not get there but credit where credit is due Blue played very well, as the have for most of the season.

Weber took another 8 wickets - definatley ending the season on a dominant note. Everyone contributed to that game at one point or another which is a good sign, and the most important game is still to come, so lets make sure we get that one :)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Wow! What a game! Great play lads, particularly Nath - top stuff.

Liam, why did I only bowl 8 overs in their 2nd knock when it's supposed to be a spinners' track?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Wow! What a game! Great play lads, particularly Nath - top stuff.

Liam, why did I only bowl 8 overs in their 2nd knock when it's supposed to be a spinners' track?
Because you aren't taking wickets this year?:p

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tom Halsey said:
Because you weren't threatening at the time, and if you look at the situation, you were brought on at 133/5. I then took you off at 171/5, when the chase got within 100 runs and both batsmen looked settled. The seamers got a couple of wickets and we were bacg into the game. To be honest at that stage, with less than 50 runs needed - in the crunch - I was far more confident in the seamers to take wickets (especially with the cloud cover). It's all situational, but trust that had you been in form, you'd have been a stronger candidate to bowl in the situation.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
wow great win by the blacks & nice performance by myself with the bat in the 2nd innings with an lovely 71 :cool:

Simon

great season from blue, after last years performances i think we have really put that behind us and returned to playing the cricket we can...
well done to the side on a great victory there...