• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Season 9 Discussions Thread

Majin

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
No, I said they shouldn't be better than.

The situation where 3 rookie batsmen are more highly rated than established Internationals is simply not right.
Why? I don't suppose bradman started off as a bum. None of the CW players are that mad skilled anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Majin said:
Why? I don't suppose bradman started off as a bum. None of the CW players are that mad skilled anyway.
All this talk of one offs like Bradman overlooks that this isn't just a one-off - it's 3 players out of an intake of about 10!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
That's a myth though.

Where have I said they should all sign up with rubbish stats etc.?
The fact is though, rookies simply dont get many games in their first season unless they are of high quality. Captains wont just drop established players for rookies that have similar or slightly better stats.

The invention of the Colts team solves this a little bit, but again, if none of the players are good enough to make other teams, the Colts team will get hammered every single time.

Majin

International Debutant
And? None of them are exactly scoring double centuries every time they go out to bat. If you don't want one offs, fine. The CWXI has only ever won one series. As far as I can remember (which granted isn't a reliable source) thats about the same as bangladesh. So basically, CWXI can be compared to Bangladesh. I would wager that there are a few rookies around the world that are better than some of the Deshi's, so why is it so impossible to understand that THREE players could actually succeed?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Majin said:
And? None of them are exactly scoring double centuries every time they go out to bat. If you don't want one offs, fine. The CWXI has only ever won one series. As far as I can remember (which granted isn't a reliable source) thats about the same as bangladesh. So basically, CWXI can be compared to Bangladesh. I would wager that there are a few rookies around the world that are better than some of the Deshi's, so why is it so impossible to understand that THREE players could actually succeed?
Haha, I was just in the process of writing exactly the same thing.

The CWXI really only has one 'great' batsmen, and most of the rest vary from mediocre to average in international terms (no offence). No one would kick up a fuss if three rookies outscored the likes of Rajin Saleh, Mohammad Ashraful and Nafees Iqbal, so I don't see why it's particularly unrealistic that three (three!) rookies are doing well. If we had several CWXI batsmen averaging 40-50 in Tests, then it might be a different scenario, but we don't, so it isn't.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slats4ever said:
haha wally west looks like a handy number 9... averaging 47
Those stats were HEAVILY altered last season. Far more than typical rookie adjustments, as I know Wally West personally and he's not a supercricketer :p. I explained such things to him. That, combined with the reactivation skill fine, means that he won't be anywhere that potent a player.

Loony BoB

International Captain
From OD stats (as they're the ones I have to hand)...

ODI PLAYER* - AP Cloete - 65.00, the best average of the league at present
ODI PLAYER - DP Towns - 63.50, second best average of the league I think
ODI PLAYER - AP Chaulk - 56.83, brilliant.
ODI PLAYER - MJ Robbins - 56.33, brilliant.
ROOKIE - T Mamesh - 40.67, good stuff.
ODI PLAYER - CR Butler - 34.00, not bad.
ROOKIE - AS Das - 32.67, not bad.
ROOKIE - S Jasotharan - 32.00, not bad, although only two games played.
ODI PLAYER - SA Bennett - 29.80, good for an all rounder.
ODI PLAYER - LA Camps - 28.25, good for an all rounder.
ODI PLAYER - RJ Malone - 27.50, having a bad season thus far I suppose.
ROOKIE - JB Browne - 25.40, good for an all rounder.
ODI PLAYER - BJ Goff - 24.25, having a bad season thus far I suppose.
ROOKIE - DJ Comley - 19.67, not bad for an all rounder.
ROOKIE - NR Hancock - 19.00, not bad for an all rounder.
ROOKIE - JB Malthus-Howell - 18.00, average at best.
ROOKIE - SJ Burke - 16.00, average at best.
ROOKIE - OJ Cook - 14.75, average at best.
ROOKIE - DP Tucker - 10.00, poor even for an all rounder, considering he isn't actually a rookie.
ROOKIE - G Nayak - 4.00, very poor.

Searching for rookie power...
No search results.

Seems to me that, aside from two ODI players who are just having a bad season, everything is pretty much as you want it. The experience system that has been introduced is working quite well, at least in A-List, and that, marc, is where I was concerned last season, as it's the area that I'm most tied to when it comes to stats checking. Looking at the FC, the last time I checked only four rookies made the top 40 bats, so I don't know what the big deal is there. But yes, although last season I tended to agree (although was never as whiney as you are, and actually bothered to produce solutions rather than merely complaincomplaincomplain) that rookies were dominant, what with Dauth obliterating everyone, I feel that with the introduced experience system, the facts have now changed and rookie power no longer exists there. That, and not the fact that I've moved to CW Colts, is why I've changed opinion.

* retired

EDIT: G Nayak averages lower than NS Pickup this season with the bat in OD, despite Pickup being an established #11 and Nayak being a batsman. Does this mean that we have the opposite or rookie power? :p

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
All this talk of one offs like Bradman overlooks that this isn't just a one-off - it's 3 players out of an intake of about 10!
It's actually 18... in a country where the player population is 80 and spread over 5 domestic teams. If you consider it more like a Bangladesh situation than practically any other Test nation, it's very reasonable. Simply because a player has played Tests doesn't make him better than anyone else, even a rookie.

Last edited:

dinu23

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
No, I said they shouldn't be better than.

The situation where 3 rookie batsmen are more highly rated than established Internationals is simply not right.
can u name some rookies who have been exceptionally better than the older players, please?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cricket Web Red vs Cricket Web Green
at the CW Oval

Green faltered in the chase of a large total, and didn't have enough momentum in the middle overs, falling short by 12 runs at the end. James Stedman was at his best in scoring his 2nd List-A ton, whilst powering Red to 282/9. Yet it was overall a disappointing batting display by the Reds, and Kenny Dobson was the only other batsman to feature prominently.

Batting second proved an arduous task, and Robbins in particular was a difficult bowler to dispatch. His contributions with the ball definitely paid off in the end. Although Watt surrendered 16 off the final over, the margin of victory was still comfortable.

CW Red 282/9 (50 overs)
CW Green 270/3 (50 overs)

CW Red won by 12 runs
Man of the Match: JE Stedman

Attachments

Mr Mxyzptlk

Bennett Accounts For Nayak

Red allrounder Gaurav Nayak was injured whilst facing Sean Bennett in the nets. He received a high full toss to the ribs, and will miss 2 game days with a bruised rib.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Sean, what have I told you about bowling seam-up?!

Never mind, we won. Special game - well batted James and Kenny, well bowled Marc, and for once patchy contributions were enough :)

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Happy with that effort from the team, and despite 10-0-73-1 I'm happy with my bowling. Had 6-0-33-1 before I got hit around at the death.

Well done guys, a very good effort especially by Robbins and Bennett to strangle Greens batsmen throughout the middle overs, faith was shown in you guys, and you held it together nicely.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Prince EWS said:
The fact is though, rookies simply dont get many games in their first season unless they are of high quality. Captains wont just drop established players for rookies that have similar or slightly better stats.

The invention of the Colts team solves this a little bit, but again, if none of the players are good enough to make other teams, the Colts team will get hammered every single time.
There aren't many sides around the world where the more experienced players get dumped for rookies, unless they are in a major form slump or the rookie is just so good they demand being selected.