• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Season 9 Discussions Thread

PY

International Coach
Adamc said:
It's PY, I think.
I'm pretty certain I have that honourable distinction as I don't think I've missed a FC game yet this season. :)

Not the most runs though. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
What relevance does that have to my point?

Especially as this isn't just one isolated player, and all of those mentioned aren't rookies.

As for the Warne not being dominant - when did he last play a domestic game, let alone a season?
The relevance it has is that you're suggesting that rookies should never outperform established players, when in reality they obviously do some of the time. And yes, Tait was a rookie when he led the wicket taking in the ING Cup in 2003/04, and in his second season when he broke the Pura Cup record and led both competitions in 2004/05. McGrath was indeed a rookie when he impressed so much in the Sheffield Shield that he was called up to the test side after 8 games. The Warne example was simply to show that the best test players are not always dominant in first class cricket, which is indeed what we are discussing here as rookies are never picked for the international side. Warne played half the season last year for Victoria and averaged 36 with the ball, and in terms of spinners was totally outplayed by Stuart MacGill and Dan Cullen, the latter of whom was indeed a rookie.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
On a random note, Matthew Hayden was the top runscorer in his maiden FC season in a highly established domestic competition. We're not even that highly established, we're still a young nation and it's understandable that rookies are going to do well in just the ninth domestic season.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's highly realistic.
But did he enter the season as a better player than the current Australian side?

Interesting how it's now highly realistic when you've been transferred to the Colts side...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
The relevance it has is that you're suggesting that rookies should never outperform established players
No, that's not what I'm suggesting.

What I'm highlighting is that rookies should not be rated higher than current Test players, because IRL no rookie starting out in County Cricket next year would be a better batsman than for example Trescothick.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Guys, guys. Can we stop arguing amongst ourselves and start lynching Liam for not posting today's games?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
In all seriousness and respect (and sincerity), can I please hear your views on how rookies should be brought into the Dev league, Marc? I would've missed it last time round.

Cheers :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wally West said:
I'd like to rejoin the cweb dev league if its possible. It was good at the black camp last season.
Welcome back. You'll play for Cricket Web Green this season, however, unless Black trades for you.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
No, that's not what I'm suggesting.

What I'm highlighting is that rookies should not be rated higher than current Test players, because IRL no rookie starting out in County Cricket next year would be a better batsman than for example Trescothick.
That's not true. A rookie could be much more talented than the likes of Trescothick, and that talent can be manifested in a debut season.

Dwayne Bravo averaged over 40 with the bat in his debut season. That's better than several West Indian cricketers. I'm sure if you look at Bangladesh, you'll find rookies outperforming Test players. We can't be likened to England. The player pool we have is more similar to Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cricket Web Red vs Cricket Web Black
at the CW Oval

CW Red 270/9 (50 overs)
CW Black 243/9 (50 overs)

CW Red won by 27 runs
Man of the Match: SA Bennett

Cricket Web Blue vs Cricket Web Colts
at the PDV Dome

CW Colts 245 ao (49.3 overs)
CW Blue 246/3 (44.1 overs)

CW Blue won by 7 wickets
Man of the Match: TC Halsey

Attachments

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disapointing loss Colts. Once again we get off to a good start with the bat, but the middle order failed again. We should have really set something in the region of 300+. Again on a pitch like that the bowlers didn't have enough to play for, however we should still have got a few more wickets than that.