• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Season XIII Discussion and Results

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmm, not too chuffed with my form with the bat, especially in FC, but very pleased with 4 wickets, it goes without saying, though, that I'd rather take no wickets and see us win.

Pleased with my OD performance aginsts red though :cool:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Well then, twemendous to see the rich vein of form I'm in is continuing. I still can't shake the feeling that karma will get me though, and the longer I gun it now the harder I'll fail when the form comes to an end.

Let's keep up the good performances fellas.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Friday 1st February

Cricket Web Red v Masters XI
CW Oval

Scorecard
Ball by Ball

Despite the best efforts of a revitalized Dave Watt, Cricket Web Red could not defend a total of 238-8 against a strong Masters XI top order. Confirming his return to form, Damien Martyn stroked 87 unbeaten to anchor the chase with 7 wickets intact at the end.

Earlier CW Red started solidly to reach 132-2, but Shane Warne triggered a collapse in the middle order that the home side could not recover from. When Rob Dauth (58) and Kenny Dobson (44) were at the crease the pitch looked in good shape for batting. But by the end of the innings, with Callum Thompson (37 not out) in partnership with Watt (18 not out), things looked far more difficult. The ninth wicket partnership was unbroken for 44 runs, and Watt slog swept (?) Lance Klusener over midwicket in the final over to hold some momentum for the Reds.

The Masters XI were hardly off to a flyer against some tight CW Red bowling, but after Watt yorked Wavell Hinds spectacularly for 24, Lara took control. While Damien Martyn was solid at one end, Lara flowed freely against all comers. Watt was the lone shining light in the attack, bowling with the pace and aggression that he had lacked so far this season. He returned for a second spell to bowl Lara with a sharp offcutter, but by then the left-hander had scored 69 from 60 balls with 7 fours and 2 sixes. Hamish Marshall came and went to another fiery yorker, and at 167-3 CW Red would have harboured some hope.

The bowlers tightened up a bit and the required rate had almost crossed 6 when Kennett dropped Martyn in the 47th over. The catch may not have changed much, but needing 19 from the last 18 balls, there were no hassles for the Masters XI in getting home. Inzamam-ul-Haq made sure of that and rubbed salt in aching wounds in one swift blow, pulling Kennett into the stands for six.

Cricket Web Red innings 238-8 (50 overs)
RJ Dauth 58 (82), GKK Dobson 44 (44), MD Luff 37 (47), CP Thompson 37* (59)
SK Warne 3-38 (10), T Henderson 3-40 (10)

Masters XI innings 239-3 (49.3 overs)
DR Martyn 87* (142), BC Lara 69 (60), Inzamam-ul-Haq 38* (44)
DJ Watt 3-22 (10)

Masters XI won by 7 wickets.
Man of the Match: DR Martyn (Masters)

Cricket Web Colts v Cricket Web Blue
Fardin Qayyumi CC

Scorecard
Ball by Ball

A startlingly static innings by Thamba Mamesh crippled the Cricket Web Blue run chase, allowing Cricket Web Colts a surprising first one-day win of the season. The game was set up perfectly for the final few overs, but Mamesh struggled to time the ball away and was kept to 8 from 20 balls before he was last out in the 9-run loss.

His opposing gloveman, Shan Jasotharan scored a contrasting beautifully-paced hundred in the lead of a stunning batting performance by the Colts. The home team was kept quiet early on, and after 15 overs the score was a tame 41-1. Jasotharan scored just 17 runs from his first 54 balls, but as the secondary CW Blue bowlers came into the attack, he shifted gears masterfully. He scored his next 35 runs from only 13 balls and got to a half-century from 67 in total. Still not content he charged onward and eventually lofted Luke Tyson for a boundary and then lost the ball for six to raise his hundred from 115 balls. He was finally out to a mistimed slog off Fuller for 131, and gave way to some lusty hitting by Griffen and Wilson at the end. They combined for 2 sixes and a boundary in a 19-run final over by Fuller, posting the total at 273-5.

But whatever they lacked with the ball CW Blue immediately snatched back with the bat. The openers stepped into the run chase aggressively and Pete Young cut Wilson for a boundary to bring up the hundred in the 14th over. Tarick Weber came on and struck with his first ball, enticing Camps (45) to hit the ball to Wilson at extra cover. He was replaced by the form batsman for the Blues, Dinu DeSilva, and the runs continued to flow through a 93-run stand for the second wicket. CW Blue seemed poised for an easy win until Wilson struck twice to remove Young for 87 and then Fuller first ball. Suddenly there were complications to the chase, with an inexperienced middle order called upon to address a required rate in excess of 5.5.

DeSilva stayed at the crease long enough to reach his fifty, then carelessly drove at a full Pares delivery and was snapped up at slip. Aside from Stephen Young, who struck a couple of meaty blows, the Blues struggled to tame the required rate, as it crept up over 6. Thad Bochat brought to and end Young's cameo of 30, and Wilson got Taylor soon after for his third wicket of the innings. The last 26 balls demanded 32 runs, and though Mamesh was at the crease with his captain, victory for the Blues never again looked likely.

Cricket Web Colts innings 244
S Jasotharan 131 (142), CR Butler 53 (62), J Griffen 21* (11)
LA Camps 1-30 (10)

Cricket Web Blue innings 264-8 (50 overs)
PE Young 87 (108), MW DeSilva 54 (71), LA Camps 45 (40)
MW Wilson 4-51 (10), TV Weber 2-48 (10)

Cricket Web Colts won by 9 runs.
Man of the Match: MW Wilson (Colts)

Cricket Web Black v Cricket Web Green
Pickford Reserve

Scorecard
Ball by Ball

The Cricket Web Black juggernaut rolled along to an 8th consecutive win across all competitions this season, and a fourth over Cricket Web Green. It was a fairly modest margin of 45 runs that did not truly reflect what was another dominant performance.

The Greens threatened early on through Josh Forner's two wickets in his first spell, and CW Black were 65-3 after Alex Blackman fell cheaply for 9. At the other end James Stedman was not in his usual swashbuckling mood, and instead played a very careful innings of 58 from 98 balls. It was enough to support Gerard Armstrong, however, who continued in his good form and scored 80 off 79 balls. He featured in partnerships of 78 with each of Stedman and Dan Smith; the latter of which scored a positive 48.

Late wickets stunted a potential flourish, but CW Black still managed a competitive score of 261 all out and one that never looked threatened by CW Green. Rising star Rob Malone jr. was run out for 2 in a crazy mixup, and Kev Gough did his duty by removing debutant Gonzalez with a sharp rising delivery. For a while Nick Scott looked on top of the bowling, but even he was no match for Gough's brilliance, poking at a quick outswinger on 58. The Greens collapsed to 116-6, from which they could not effectively recover. Some lusty blows were offered by Tom Halsey and Bryce Cunningham, but CW Green was too far back to claw into the lead. Gough wrapped up the innings with the wicket of Forner, his fourth.

Cricket Web Black innings 261 (49.3 overs)
GAJ Armstrong 80 (79), JE Stedman 58 (98), DP Smith 48 (44)
BC Cunningham 3-39 (10), JNE Forner 2-40 (10)

Cricket Web Green innings 216 (48.3 overs)
NG Scott 58 (65), TC Halsey 47* (51), M Corrin 27 (45)
KJ Gough 4-33 (9.3), DP Smith 2-26 (6)

Cricket Web Black won by 45 runs.
Man of the Match: GAJ Armstrong (Black)

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Some solid work by the bowlers again not backed up well enough there by the batsmen. Forner and Cunningham both got wickets and went for 4 an over which is a great effort against Black. Unfortunately Scott was the only batsman who scored the required runs that will stop Halsey's push to bat in the top order for ODers after another brilliant effort down the order.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lovely time for the Masters XI batsmen to relive their past glories. I guess a positive is that we at least made it to 200 this time, shame we couldn't produce enough opportunities with the ball though :(

Fantastic bowling from Watt btw (y)

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha @ Blue, must feel terrible losing a OD game to the Colts.

Great stuff from Jaso and Wilson. Wish I could get myself into some form, just not taking wickets!!!!

Hopefully that win gives us confidence for the next few OD games.

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
Great to see a quick ton that sets it up and then Wilson to get them wickets at the end, nice job! Our first win at last, but like many other Colts, we would like to get a win for each comp at the same time. Let's keep it up...

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wow, wasn't expecting that. Thought our new bowling tactics were wrong after the first 15 overs but we came back and won the game. Great bowling by Wilson there.

Top innings by Jaso, well supported by Butler. Griffo and Wilson with some good slogging at the end there.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
OD table anyone, kind of want to see how far Black is infront :ph34r:

Rose's spot in the OD squad seems to be under threat by Smith :-O