• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stages

PY

International Coach
FFS England played two good games in a row, does that make them the best team under pressure? No. Yes France and Australia both succumbed to good performances by the English, but it doesn't hide the fact they're still ****.
Er I think it does mean we're not quite as crap as you make us out to be. Just because we're not playing the kind of rugby that NZ play and you enjoy doesn't mean that it isn't good rugby. We've played to our strengths and the others haven't had enough to overcome that, boo hoo if that means you don't get to see what you want to see.

I've been very scathing of our team over the last 4 years and I still don't believe that England are a top 3 nation or even top 5 and even if we win the cup I don't think that gives us a right to claim it BUT we are in the Final because we've performed when it really mattered and others didn't. Surely you can see that and allow a little celebration.

I think we'll probably get thumped in the Final by South Africa, but I'll still celebrate the fact that it's a hugely successful campaign for England whatever happens from here.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I should probably add that no, Australia, NZ & France don't deserve to be in the final on the account that they either choked, or played **** rugby.
Yup, exactly. England deserve to get to the final, they played better. I still feel Australia, NZ and France are better than them though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Er I think it does mean we're not quite as crap as you make us out to be. Just because we're not playing the kind of rugby that NZ play and you enjoy doesn't mean that it isn't good rugby. We've played to our strengths and the others haven't had enough to overcome that, boo hoo if that means you don't get to see what you want to see.

I've been very scathing of our team over the last 4 years and I still don't believe that England are a top 3 nation or even top 5 and even if we win the cup I don't think that gives us a right to claim it BUT we are in the Final because we've performed when it really mattered and others didn't. Surely you can see that and allow a little celebration.

I think we'll probably get thumped in the Final by South Africa, but I'll still celebrate the fact that it's a hugely successful campaign for England whatever happens from here.
It's nothing to do with how England play their rugby. I quite enjoy seeing their style, a good forward based game plan can actually be entertaining if people appreciate it more. But they've been crap for the last four years, that is my point. They have performed in the two games where it counted, and full credit to them for that.

vogue

International Vice-Captain

...agree with the above...glad to see England win too,it makes a change...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oops, bit too much beer last night. I was only teasing anyway, perm :p

Still, great result. TBH I think I remember reading the Archived RWC 2003 board, and there were plenty of similar posts about England being boring etc. Nevermind eh, I certainly haven't been bored by this WC :D

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Major soar grapes here IMO.

England have played to their strengths and good on them. If New Zealand or Australia were playing this way and winning, somehow I doubt people would be saying the same thing.

Its all about winning and nothing more in the knockout stages of a World Cup and England have the experience and the guts to play out of their skins.
Thank you, James :D

Aaaaaa I'm so happy :jump:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
TBH, France, NZ and Aus may very well be better than England, and England nay very well have played **** for the last 4 years but when we are in the final and NZ, Aus and France aren't, then that's all that really matters, not how well you've played over the last few years, NZ have proved that.

simmy

International Regular
Yup, exactly. England deserve to get to the final, they played better. I still feel Australia, NZ and France are better than them though.
Everyone will agree with this I imagine.

I am sorry to say this as my bias is obvious but last night and last week were utterly heroic.

From zeroes to heroes in no time. I can't wait for next week. Bring on the Argies!

simmy

International Regular
It's amazing the pressure and praise that is heaped on Jonny (which is a little much maybe in this world cup because his kicking has been nowhere near his best) but the way he plays encapsulates the English side as a whole.

Tenacious powerful defence, solid kicking and sheer grit.

The stage is set for him again...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If the Boks score early tonight they will walk away with a big win. 20+ points.

If its close and low scoring after 30 mins then they may panic a little.

C'arn the Boks

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Game over. Yer Argentines haven't got the game to play catch-up Rugby. Hernandez's game has fallen apart under the pressure.

Looks like we'll get our shot at redemption next Sat.