• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm giving my age away here but I was still a kid when Lance Klusener was in his prime. Caught quite a bit of him for the Dolphins at the tail end of his career. Heck,I even had one of his bats! Had a family friend that played with him at the Dolphins.

Would he have tried to prolong his Test career if T20 was a thing in about 2000? I don't have much insight into how Zulu the Test cricketer went but he looks like a prime example of someone from the older guard who could have went the franchise route earlier. Would he have been judged differently? This is a very hypothetical thought I know :laugh:
Money talks so you would imagine he wouldn't have gone back and played FC cricket and been a leader for them.

I would throw a spanner in the works and say, despite T20 growing in terms skill-sets, I still think spending time at the crease or bowling lots of balls sets you up for later in your career when you can cash in. Take Gibbs and AB, two of our finest stroke-makers. Had it tough to start but I'm not sure they go on to do some of their white-ball stuff without that good base.

Obviously not everyone is good at the longer format of the game but the one's that are is the concern, in that they now chasing something sooner than they should or maybe feeling left out.

SeamUp

International Coach
So these T20s in West Indies in May. Do we assume none of the IPL/County guys are going?

Ryan Rickelton (Lions)
Reeza Hendricks (Lions)
Matthew Breetzke (Warriors)
Rassie vd Dussen (Lions)
Kyle Verreynne (WP)
Patrick Kruger (Warriors)
Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins)
Bjorn Fortuin (Lions)
Ottneil Baartman (Dolphins)
Lungi Ngidi (Titans)
Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans)

Jordan Hermann (Warriors)
1 of Mitch van Buuren/Delano Potgieter/Evan Jones (all Lions)
Beyers Swanepoel (Warriors)
Lizaad Williams (Titans)

Anyone else have a chance of going? De Zorzi and Bavuma should only be considered for 50-overs but then again Hermann's best format isn't T20 but has performed in the SA20. I guess that along with the middle-order batsman will be debated. They picking Phehlukwayo after contracting him no doubt.

Bowling picks itself with those not there. Saying that I think we need to start thinking about as many of our bowlers offering something with the bat if we can. That greatly effects the balance and depth of our white-ball teams.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
So these T20s in West Indies in May. Do we assume none of the IPL/County guys are going?

Ryan Rickelton (Lions)
Reeza Hendricks (Lions)
Matthew Breetzke (Warriors)
Rassie vd Dussen (Lions)
Kyle Verreynne (WP)
Patrick Kruger (Warriors)
Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins)
Bjorn Fortuin (Lions)
Ottneil Baartman (Dolphins)
Lungi Ngidi (Titans)
Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans)

Jordan Hermann (Warriors)
1 of Mitch van Buuren/Delano Potgieter/Evan Jones (all Lions)
Beyers Swanepoel (Warriors)
Lizaad Williams (Titans)

Anyone else have a chance of going? De Zorzi and Bavuma should only be considered for 50-overs but then again Hermann's best format isn't T20 but has performed in the SA20. I guess that along with the middle-order batsman will be debated. They picking Phehlukwayo after contracting him no doubt.

Bowling picks itself with those not there. Saying that I think we need to start thinking about as many of our bowlers offering something with the bat if we can. That greatly effects the balance and depth of our white-ball teams.
Is Parnell out the picture I think he should be though, de zorzi may play you can't have no bavuma or de zorzi for the African batsmen dynamics

FBU

International Debutant
No Tristan Stubbs :( ... also amazing wicketkeeper
No Gerald Coetzee :(
No Markram, won 2 T20 series (SEC)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
No Tristan Stubbs :( ... also amazing wicketkeeper
No Gerald Coetzee :(
No Markram, won 2 T20 series (SEC)
All those guys are at the IPL & majority will be in our WC squad.

I'm not sure if they are back and ready for this 3 match T20 series or not.

De Kock
Markram
Stubbs
Klaasen
Miller
Brevis
Ferreira

M Jansen
Mulder

Maharaj

Rabada
Nortje
Burger
Coetzee
Maphaka

SeamUp

International Coach
Is Parnell out the picture I think he should be though, de zorzi may play you can't have no bavuma or de zorzi for the African batsmen dynamics
Definitely moved on from him. Is he even a definite for a SA20 spot next season. Getting a bit of tap in both the SA20 & T20 Challenge now.

Much like Rossouw, we got a little bit back from them after going county.

FBU

International Debutant
All those guys are at the IPL & majority will be in our WC squad.

I'm not sure if they are back and ready for this 3 match T20 series or not.

De Kock
Markram
Stubbs
Klaasen
Miller
Brevis
Ferreira

M Jansen
Mulder

Maharaj

Rabada
Nortje
Burger
Coetzee
Maphaka
After talking up Markram, when he walked to the crease I thought bet he is out first ball now and so it happened.

SeamUp

International Coach
Pretty important game for the CSA T20 Challenge.

Dolphins v Titans.

If Titans lose you pretty much know the top 4 but if they win it gets them right in the mix.

Already pitch black in Durban and the wicket is spinning, seaming & not bouncing. Great for T20 :laugh:

Such a shame Bryce Parsons has picked up a serious injury in the game before last. Got 36 off 11 balls or something in that game. So brutal.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rivaldo Moonsamy st Roelofsen b Subrayen 0 (0)

Love that. One of crickets quirks being stumped off a wide first ball.

SeamUp

International Coach
2027 CWC venues announced.

Wanderers
Newlands
Kingsmead
SuperSport Park
St George's
Mangaung Oval
Boland Park
Buffalo Park

So nothing for JB Marks Oval which is surprising as well as Willowmoore Park, Diamond Oval and Pietermaritzburg Oval.

Back to 14 teams and Zimbabwe and Namibia are also getting games.

SeamUp

International Coach
Buffalo park is totally undeserving. Should have gone to JB marks or willowmore.
In the past they might have had a stronger leg to stand on in that they produced cricketers but that has dried up even. They got their test match to be our 7th test venue but since then they've fallen so far off the SA cricket map. Their biggest pull is obviously the Black African community.

SeamUp

International Coach
Next up. Daryn Dupavillon joins Derbyshire for all formats.

IPL signed: Burger, Nortje, M Jansen, Rabada, Maphaka, Ngidi (withdrew), Williams, Coetzee

County Cricket: Paterson, Swanepoel, Dupavillon, M Pretorius

The rest worth noting: B Hendricks, Parnell, E Bosch, Baartman, Cele, Moreki, Sipamla, Yusuf, C Bosch, Galiem, Dala, D Jansen, Dudgeon, Budaza, Viljoen, Stuurman

New kids on the block to follow: Bedja, Luus, Brett, M Boast

Marius

International Debutant
Odds of Maphaka getting a senior cap before the end of the year?

And someone on Twitter shared this as a potential T20 WC squad, it's not too bad but might fall short of non-cricket requirements.

1 QdK
2 Reeza
3 Markram
4 Klaasen
5 Miller
6 Stubbs
7 Jansen
8 Kesh
9 KG
10 Burger
11 Baartman
12 Rickelton
13 Shamsi
14 Coetzee
15 Nortje/Ngidi

SeamUp

International Coach
Odds of Maphaka getting a senior cap before the end of the year?

And someone on Twitter shared this as a potential T20 WC squad, it's not too bad but might fall short of non-cricket requirements.

1 QdK
2 Reeza
3 Markram
4 Klaasen
5 Miller
6 Stubbs
7 Jansen
8 Kesh
9 KG
10 Burger
11 Baartman
12 Rickelton
13 Shamsi
14 Coetzee
15 Nortje/Ngidi
Maphaka looks very talented and they no doubt will push him. Just hope it doesn't break him. Kid is still in school.

Think those first 14 will all go. Just that last position.