• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Sam Cook - WAG. Hard to believe that he hasn’t had a gig for England yet - though perhaps he might more be seen as a replacement for the evergreen Anderson who shows little sign of retirement!
If him and Rushworth could bat, both would have had England honours.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If him and Rushworth could bat, both would have had England honours.
My concern is that Surrey come to sign him with a promise of international honours if England keep ignoring him. Not that England honours stopped Dan Lawrence from following that overworn path.

grecian

Wonder how far Bell-Drummond is from a England call-up, been really good the last few years, and I reckon he could baz-ball. Shame he can't bowl anymore, might have been useful.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
My concern is that Surrey come to sign him with a promise of international honours if England keep ignoring him. Not that England honours stopped Dan Lawrence from following that overworn path.
Yeah hopefully not. You'd think that isn't the way this current regime will pick players for England. But obviously it's has happened previously but probably will still play a part.

But anyway this summer 6 games which they can't just pick 3 of Jimmy/Woakes/Wood/Robinson for each of them. Need to look to what comes next

Potts probably ahead of Cook in the pecking order. But as the Windies series happening during the Blast, a slightly bigger squad to have a look at others means be easier to then release those that don't get selected.

Hungry Llama

Cricket Spectator
The beeb says Essex could lose 16 points cos kushys bat was too big. Bizarre. Must have been gigantic for
the umps to notice.

2 teams as weak as Glam & msex score over 600 first cc match of the season? must have been the road of roads.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
The beeb says Essex could lose 16 points cos kushys bat was too big. Bizarre. Must have been gigantic for
the umps to notice.

2 teams as weak as Glam & msex score over 600 first cc match of the season? must have been the road of roads.
Absolute amateur hour if Essex screw themselves over like that. Would have zero sympathy.

Chubb

International Regular
Looking back at Khushi's season over here, he started at Seddon in Div 1 of the VTCA (my own club was in Premier) and then dropped down to Div 4 with Roxburgh Park, where he made 250* in his first innings.

Apart from the obvious minnow bashing (VTCA Div 4 is higher than I could ever play, but it's not top level) all his runs should be suspect now. I wouldn't trust the VTCA to notice an illegal bat.

social

How does it actually happen?

Can’t imagine anyone going into the bat maker and actually asking for an illegal bat these days

Those guys have lots of bats so was it just one or an entire batch?

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Looking back at Khushi's season over here, he started at Seddon in Div 1 of the VTCA (my own club was in Premier) and then dropped down to Div 4 with Roxburgh Park, where he made 250* in his first innings.

Apart from the obvious minnow bashing (VTCA Div 4 is higher than I could ever play, but it's not top level) all his runs should be suspect now. I wouldn't trust the VTCA to notice an illegal bat.
Well if he played in Victoria must be some dodgy bat shop there.

As Nic Maddinson fell foul of the rule in 2022 in his disastrous time at Durham.

We got deducted 10 points for his offence.

So a further 6 points seems harsh on Essex, when Sam Cook with the ball is the reason for the win!

howitzer

State Vice-Captain

As Nic Maddinson fell foul of the rule in 2022 in his disastrous time at Durham.

So a further 6 points seems harsh on Essex, when Sam Cook with the ball is the reason for the win!
You appear to have good knowledge of the history of these offences, unlike Sam Cook, who 'don't know much about history' :ph34r:

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
The England set up seemingly think he lacks pace. If anything he could be a horses for (home) courses replacement for / alternative to Woakes.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer

I thought the Durham penalty was harsh at the time, as it’s not something that the county would really check, however a precedent has been set.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I thought the Durham penalty was harsh at the time, as it’s not something that the county would really check, however a precedent has been set.
Completely in agreement on both points.

Maddinson bat got noticed before he could even score a run with it :laugh:

I dunno at what point Khushi bat was noticed, but he scored 50 runs across both innings. Hardly game changing.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Posting seriously now I think it should be the player's responsibility to make sure their equipment conforms to regulations and that any punishment for such misdeeds should be that player's enforced absense from professional cricket for a period of time.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
the umps to notice.
I'm sure there's a very old sketch from Morecambe and Wise or the Two Ronnies where ascoreboard shows that a batsman is compiling a huge innings, but we don't see until he (probably Morecambe or Barker) walks off at the end of the day that his bat is about a metre wide.

Hungry Llama

Cricket Spectator
I reckon that Cook the bowler is faster than Yobbo Robbo even when he is fit, and if
Cook can run through sides with the kookabura ball, england should take note.

Also kashif ali made 100 in each innings of the 1st CC match of the season for Worcs,
no mean feat, probably emulating many greats of yesteryear. I did wonder if he was
related to Moeen given his name and county, but apparently he was born in Kashmir,
and has played for 6 county 2nd XIs and Bedfordshire.

Starfighter

I reckon that Cook the bowler is faster than Yobbo Robbo even when he is fit, and if
Cook can run through sides with the kookabura ball, england should take note.

Also kashif ali made 100 in each innings of the 1st CC match of the season for Worcs,
no mean feat, probably emulating many greats of yesteryear. I did wonder if he was
related to Moeen given his name and county, but apparently he was born in Kashmir,
and has played for 6 county 2nd XIs and Bedfordshire.
IIRC Cook was bowling about 80 mph when in whichever limited overs highlights I watched which had speed timings. That'd be about the same as Robinson (when he's not slacking) and Robinson's taller, which the current selectors like. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets completely overlooked in favour of Potts, Tongue etc.

Ali's a very, very common name in Islamic communities, so perhaps not hugely surprising there's two running around cricket in the same county.