• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What will Cameron Green average with the bat when his Test career is over ?

What will Cam Green average in his Test Career

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol I wasn't talking abt Watto specifically. Many Indian players like Chahar look great as gym advertisements but have so many fitness issues and cant put together a string of 7/8 T20 games even.

In fact, there were discussions with @Spark here during the BG series of 20-21 on why the Indian players kept getting soft muscle injuries as the only workout they had through the harsh lockdowns here in 2020 was just gymming, either home ones and then the big chains with restrictions.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought this was all common knowledge. Surely we've known for the last 100 years that limiting excessive muscle mass, and the inflexibility and loss of mobility that comes with it, is important for bowlers

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I thought this was all common knowledge. Surely we've known for the last 100 years that limiting excessive muscle mass, and the inflexibility and loss of mobility that comes with it, is important for bowlers
Its common knowledge for sure and something blokes who came from remote areas and made it big like MSD, Sehwag and Kapil always kept saying. That endurance stuff was more important than gym stuff and flexibility is more important than muscle mass and tone.

But the insta gen keep doing insta gen.

Flem274*

123/5
I think he probably overdid the gym and was less flexible and carried more weight in muscle mass than optimal, making him more prone to soft tissue injuries. Most fast bowlers aren't very beefy, unlike him, and you can see his action get a lot less fluid over the years.

I think Jhye Richardson is going through something similar since he's added a lot of upper body muscle to try stabilise his shoulder. He's less fluent, slower, and gets injured very often.
100%. NZC discovered this the hard way in the 2000s. I don't know if you remember Hamish Bennett but he was the prototypical academy quick. Gigantic bloke, made of glass.

Spark

Global Moderator
100%. NZC discovered this the hard way in the 2000s. I don't know if you remember Hamish Bennett but he was the prototypical academy quick. Gigantic bloke, made of glass.
Chris Tremlett also an excellent example.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Nothing wrong with gym training if its well managed, strength stuff and sports specific training. Issue is fast bowlers training more like bodybuilders and putting on a ton of muscle.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I don't know how you could not rate the guy. Most allrounders have slow starts to their test careers because being good at two things is really hard, and most test players never master being good enough at one. Green didn't even have the slowest allrounder start either, look at Flintoff and Marsh.

He's really ****in tall, bowls solid pace and has a great eye. There was always going to be a place for him.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yeah I don't know how you could not rate the guy. Most allrounders have slow starts to their test careers because being good at two things is really hard, and most test players never master being good enough at one. Green didn't even have the slowest allrounder start either, look at Flintoff and Marsh.

He's really ****in tall, bowls solid pace and has a great eye. There was always going to be a place for him.
step 1: be from Queensland
step 2: be a boomer

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
He's absolutely far from the only Australian boomer fan who doesn't/didn't rate Green. A lot of older, more conservative fans here hate all-rounders in general
I'm older (not necessarily conservative) and I rate him because he's a West Aussie.

Last edited:

Daemon

I still don't rate his batting that highy, reminds me of when MMarsh was killing it in the shield as a batsman and many people were saying he's locked in for a middle order position but he just looked really vulnerable at test level. Green looks vulnerable too, even when he's on a score. I suppose numbers will speak for themselves in due course.

For an AR though, his batting is excellent. Brings an incredible level of balance to a side if a player can even average 30-35 while sending down 10 quality overs a day, let alone 35+ which he's more than capable of.

Spark

Global Moderator
I still don't rate his batting that highy, reminds me of when MMarsh was killing it in the shield as a batsman and many people were saying he's locked in for a middle order position but he just looked really vulnerable at test level. Green looks vulnerable too, even when he's on a score. I suppose numbers will speak for themselves in due course.

For an AR though, his batting is excellent. Brings an incredible level of balance to a side if a player can even average 30-35 while sending down 10 quality overs a day, let alone 35+ which he's more than capable of.
MMarsh absolutely was not killing in the Shield to this level though lol. Like his Shield average when he was picked was still low 30s iirc but tbf he had reeled off a few big scores just beforehand. It was definitely good for an attacking all-rounder batting 6, whereas Green has been the most dominant Shield batsman since Phil Hughes.

TheJediBrah

One problem with him that's occurred to me just this game, but hasn't really mattered before, is his lack of fitness (ie cramping and struggling with long innings) will probably mean he can't bowl if he's batted for a while. Can't exactly build your side around him as an all-rounder if that's the case. More like play him as a batsman and any overs are a bonus

TheJediBrah

MMarsh absolutely was not killing in the Shield to this level though lol. Like his Shield average when he was picked was still low 30s iirc but tbf he had reeled off a few big scores just beforehand. It was definitely good for an attacking all-rounder batting 6, whereas Green has been the most dominant Shield batsman since Phil Hughes.
Yeah Marsh was picked on the back of white ball cricket mostly