• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

let’s remember some guys

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Paul Reiffel - If it weren't for the fact that he's an umpire today I think most people (outside Aus at least) would forget about him. Haven't encountered anyone who thinks back to 90s Australian sides and brings up his name (until you look at the scorecards and highlights packages). Good player though, underappreciated.
Whenever I think of his playing career my main memory is of him killing the pigeon with a throw from the outfield at the 99 World Cup.

Definitely makes him a guy.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alex Doolan. By rights probably shouldn't have even played Test Cricket but became the second victim of CA's insistence on protecting Hughes from SA, after Quiney of course.

You could even say Doolan and Quiney were specifically selected because they were guys. Therefore being utterly expendable as any significant payoff would be better than the expected result.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He was alright IMO. I don't think he was ever going to be a gun but he could've had a good Test career in another universe, particularly at home. His main problem was recurring niggling injuries, more than anything else.
I'd genuinely completely blanked out Mark Davies being selected for a test tour. Was probably injured before he got on the plane though.

Think his main impediment to test success (aside from the whole being made of glass thing) was that he was ridiculously slow. Saw him playing a List A for Kent towards the end of his career and he honestly didn't crack 70mph once.

Might've been a handful at the Riverside in early May, but he'd have been fodder in SA.

Speaking of English seamers with no pace: Martin Bicknell probably qualifies as a guy.

Four tests, in two pairs of two separated by 10 years and 114 tests, which used to be a record.

No pace (although Davies makes him look like Shaun Tait), but got decent climb thanks to his height and nibbled it around off a good length.

Both his initial selection in 93 and his recall in 03 were for Headingley tests, so he was probably one of those "horses for courses" picks we used to be fond of back in the day.

See also Mallinder, Neil and Watkin, Steve.

RossTaylorsBox

When your finest moment in international cricket is scoring one run in the final over of an ODI, bowled by Sanath Jayasuriya.

I don't remember this but I do remember him bowling the ball from about 2m behind the crease in a match which is not good if you're roughly 120 kph.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Ben Hilfenhaus. A really high class bowler for a period of time (had a beautiful outswinger) and then sort of got forgotten about. One of my favourite bowlers to watch of the last decade

Flem274*

123/5
gonna defend the mug here. he was a decent bowler, good areas at 130 clicks, and was far from the worst odi performer we've ever selected.

he played in the 07 tri series and the 07 wc, and emerged invisible but undisgraced. he signed off his career by coming out of retirement and trolling central to a ford trophy final win with the bat.

in the same vein, another guy was brent arnel. thoroughly ok medium pacer who even howsie supported because he played for the right team. arnel did not disgrace us, but lacked the extra something needed to take wickets at test level. when you watched him bowl though what he sent down was always very tidy, just not dangerous.

Flem274*

123/5
andy mckay got picked for nz because dan vettori faced him in a t20 and rated him the fastest in nz. mckay was surprisingly talented, at his best swinging the ball both ways at 140-145kph in odis against the bangers in a home odi series. he eventually got a solitary test in india where he got sachin out and bowled ok but fell out of favour due to the rise of boult, southee and a brief mark gillespie ressurection where he bowled hostile stuff before breaking yet again.

graeme aldridge and michael bates also have limited overs caps for nz.

Pothas

An England team of the 21st century to seamlessly play across all formats

Michael Carberry
Joe Denly
Rob Key*
Gary Ballance
Owais Shah
Anthony McGrath
Tim Ambrose+
Alex Tudor
Gareth Batty
Richard Johnson
James Kirtley

Feel like all bases are covered here. A couple of memorable performances, one or two with unrealised potential, some obligatory foreign imports, classic English county bowlers and a random old spinner who came back after about a decade.

Ballance is maybe approaching being too good and playing too many games but every team has to have a star.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Usman Afzaal to come in for him?

3 tests in the 01 Ashes, one 50 (and out, pretty much) that he celebrated like he'd just secured the urn with a triple ton at the SCG.

Pothas

He was considered but lacks the limited overs career, same goes for Nick Compton.

Maybe poor old James Taylor.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He was considered but lacks the limited overs career, same goes for Nick Compton.

Maybe poor old James Taylor.
Darren Maddy? His test career just extends into the 2000s and he was randomly recalled from seemingly nowhere for the 07 T20i WC.

Top score of 24 from 3 tests, a batting average that never went over 14.5 and 14 overs of medium paced filth at Kingsmead for no reward when Gary Kirsten batted for several epochs and literally everyone save the keeper and Athers (whose back was probably more or less totally cattle trucked by then) turned their arm over.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Ian Blackwell too played around that time, right? From what I recall he had some big hitting ability but rarely showed it. Also bowles useful Yardy-esque slow left arm.