• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warm Ups

Athlai

Not Terrible
I agree about Ryder likely being better down the order. Only problem is that would leave McCullum and Guptill opening together who are too similar IMO. Followed by who, Broom at 3?

No, I don't have a solution :wacko:. No reordering I can think of fits perfectly.

As others have said, can't see McCullum moving back down the order due to his vice-captaincy. Franklin would be a good hitter at 7 or 8, but as his bowling at the moment would be fodder it's pretty hard to select him.
His bowling would be fine and probably better than Oram's.

The number 3 problem is an interesting one really it would be putting faith in someone. Taylor or Flynn could do it.

Guppy
Baz
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Broom
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
Bond

Sorry Elliott.

Though since Flynn is a rather dire one day batsman (I'd be putting him in that Dravid strike rotating mode) maybe just shift Ryder to 3.

Guptill
Baz
Ryder
Taylor
Elliott
Broom

Shri

Mr. Glass
Well i hope they do. But from what i have seen recently that india is finding it extremely hard to even get close to chasing big totals. The compaq series was one example, true they won against NZ but they only chased 160 odd runs. Against sri lanka before the finals they were completely thrased when chasing 300+ runs even when they had tendulkar as an opener and again yesterday against NZ. What i am trying to say is Indias weakness is not only their bowling atm but their batting is also not firing when they are exerted in a bit of pressure.
Yeah, I agree that they look that way when chasing big targets in matches that doesn't have any consequence. But, they seem to step up and perform in the big games these days(i mean the past couple of years). But, overall, based on very recent form, I agree that they are in a bit of a dip in all departments. Everything started with Sehwag's and Zaheer Khan's injury imo. If those two come back, the side will become more consistent and stronger.

Polo23

International Debutant
Polo - still think Broom is average (not rubbish) scoring runs in a warm up means diddly squat.

I dont believe for a second he will do anything like yesterday in the real matches although i hope to stand pleasantly corrected
Yeah, but you're opinion is based on very little. You admitted a while ago you havn't seen any NZ FC cricket in the last few years where Broom has been prominent. He's had very little international opportunities so far, often coming in when he just needs to slog (he is not a slogger, he is a proper batsman) or when the game is well and truly past us.

This innings, despite it only being a warmup highlights that he CAN play at this level, just needs a little time to settle in (like almost every new player on the international scene does).

Remember, Broom is only 25 and has undoubted talent. It's a shame for Broom that Elliott has got ahold of that number 5 spot, I think his game suits number 5 in ODI's quite nicely. Oh well, if he gets the gig at 6 I reckon he can do a good job.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Yeah, I agree that they look that way when chasing big targets in matches that doesn't have any consequence. But, they seem to step up and perform in the big games these days(i mean the past couple of years). But, overall, based on very recent form, I agree that they are in a bit of a dip in all departments. Everything started with Sehwag's and Zaheer Khan's injury imo. If those two come back, the side will become more consistent and stronger.
I just have my doubts regarding indias batting, i will be following them very closely in this tournament. Anyway best of luck to your team.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I just have my doubts regarding indias batting, i will be following them very closely in this tournament. Anyway best of luck to your team.
Yeah. Looking forward to the Ind-Pak chat here during the CT game. Best of luck to your side too.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
My NZ Team for this Champions Trophy on the SA tracks with the Batting Order is:

Ryder
Guptill
Elliot
Taylor
Broom
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Oram
Bond
Tuffey

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
His bowling would be fine and probably better than Oram's.
Disagree. While Oram can't bat, or apparently take many wickets at the mo - his bowling is much more accurate than that left arm shoulder slumper Franklin.

So while Oram may not run through a team, at least he can keep the runs down (filthy statment really).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was having a crack at the NZ supporters (of which there are a lot of) who continue to tell us Broom is no good, despite having limited opportunities. I've been saying Broom should be in the side for 3 years!

I probably should have added the rolled eyes smiley to my previous post or something.

Stoked he did well in that game. Obviously just a warmup and one good innings doesn't make a player, but he has all the tools to produce at international level.
Don't recall anyone saying he was 'no good'. A few including myself merely questioned his inclusion in the top XI. Despite the obvious delight you've taken from this one good innings this latest warm-up match, I might remind you his highest score in 9 ODI innings to date is 36, so he's hardly delivered at International level yet. That said, would probably start him in this 1st game against SA if picking on form.