• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

Langeveldt

Soutie
silentstriker said:
I love these wickets. Absolutely love them.

I will laugh my face off when Sehwag's stumps go reeling because he has no idea what footwork is.

These pitches are great for cricket. It separates the batsmen from the flat-track-bullies. I think that for every match with a 350+ score, you need a match with a sub 200 score.

Otherwise, bowlers are just there as fodder.
thats true, produces some really skillful cricket.. Shame SA are on the losing end of it :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
thats true, produces some really skillful cricket.. Shame SA are on the losing end of it :)
Yea, well I think it will sort itself out in the moment. Right now, I am just interested in seeing who can really bat, and who is just pretending.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
silentstriker said:

I will laugh my face off when Sehwag's stumps go reeling because he has no idea what footwork is.

These pitches are great for cricket. It separates the batsmen from the flat-track-bullies. I think that for every match with a 350+ score, you need a match with a sub 200 score.

I agree that it's very enjoyable but the amount of turn from that wicket was ludicrous and even part-timers were turning it absolutely square.

There needs to be a happy medium where the pitches still reflect the nature of playing on the subcontinent but dont take it to the extent where Smith suddenly becomes a bigger turning version of Murali

Langeveldt

Soutie
silentstriker said:
Yea, well I think it will sort itself out in the moment. Right now, I am just interested in seeing who can really bat, and who is just pretending.
Fleming is proving that, his innings against SA in the WC2003 was the best ODI innings I have ever seen, almost an honour to watch

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I get tired of hearing people say Fleming is not a naturally gifted player. His problem has been that he has struggled to convert fifties to hundreds in tests, otherwise he'd be considered one of the current greats IMO. He has three double hundreds ffs.
And you also need to consider that he doesn't get to spend most of his cricketing life on flat tracks like certain other batsmen either.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
social said:
I agree that it's very enjoyable but the amount of turn from that wicket was ludicrous and even part-timers were turning it absolutely square.

There needs to be a happy medium where the pitches still reflect the nature of playing on the subcontinent but dont take it to the extent where Smith suddenly becomes a bigger turning version of Murali
If its OK that crap batsman are scoring centuries, then why is not OK if crap bowlers are turning it square?

Its been gone the other way for too long now, lets reign it back in.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm still concerned about Astle. He started out alright but his dismissal was an absolute joke. Now he was one of the players that spent our entire winter playing county cricket so he should be relied on to already have plenty of batting under his belt.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:

:clap: Somebody give this man a medal. Totally agree.

Edit: Voltman, do you know Jonathan Millmow? If so, give him a kick up the bum for being so negative about our bowlers.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

Tim said:
I get tired of hearing people say Fleming is not a naturally gifted player. His problem has been that he has struggled to convert fifties to hundreds in tests, otherwise he'd be considered one of the current greats IMO. He has three double hundreds ffs.
And you also need to consider that he doesn't get to spend most of his cricketing life on flat tracks like certain other batsmen either.
People like that are funny. My dad is one of them - he hates Stephen Fleming for absolutely no reason.

As far as the conversion rate goes, try this: MD Crowe, 4 hundreds, 34 fifties. Where are the critics? :ph34r:

social

silentstriker said:
If its OK that crap batsman are scoring centuries, then why is not OK if crap bowlers are turning it square?

Its been gone the other way for too long now, lets reign it back in.
I agree that wickets need to be more sporting but seeing sides bowled out regularly for 100 with non-bowlers doing a fair share of the damage is no better than the other end of the spectrum.

Dick Rockett

social said:
I agree that wickets need to be more sporting but seeing sides bowled out regularly for 100 with non-bowlers doing a fair share of the damage is no better than the other end of the spectrum.
True, but that doesn't apply to the SA innings last night. Mills 3, Oram 3, Patel 3, Vettori 1. No part-timers there.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well this group is now thrown right open with this result. With Pakistan wihtout Shoaib, Inzi & Asif you got to think SRI are favourites to win that clash.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tim said:
His 89 last night was worth at least 120-130 on that wicket.

Not that I'm biased or anything ....

shortpitched713

International Captain
I don't see any of these group B sides beating India, let alone Australia.

An India vs. Australia final is on the cards. You heard it here first. :-O

sideshowtim

Banned
shortpitched713 said:

And with India being virtually unable to win in the final of any tournament, Australia will take that title.

social

shortpitched713 said:

Sri Lanka are a good side, NZ have an attack that is suited to the wickets produced to date and who knows what the Pakistanis will serve up

sideshowtim

Banned
social said:
Sri Lanka are a good side, NZ have an attack that is suited to the wickets produced to date and who knows what the Pakistanis will serve up
Without Ahktar and Asif, Pakistan don't stand much of a chance anymore.